DJ Returns to Mansfield

Folks on here crease me.

For years they’ve moaned about the club not signing proven, 20 goal a season striker, then when we finally sign one they’re not arsed about him leaving.

You couldn’t make it up.

The last striker to score 20 league goals in a season in our colours was Kyle LIghtbourne in 95/96, if finding players that are capable of doing so is so easy - how come we havn’t managed it for 26 years? :crazy_face:

45 Likes

… at Tranmere away?

I’ve watched him about 15 times with my own eyes this season. Relying on second hand opinion not really necessary on Johnson for most walsall fans to be honest.

4 Likes

Whatever.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I’ll will miss DJ. It’s not just the ‘goals’ it’s the nature of the goals.

Lovely half chances put away. Makes every attack worth staying alert for.

7 Likes

Think where we’d be on the league if we were 15 goals lighter but our headers and hold up play stats were much higher.

Goals, they’m overated :rofl:

12 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

He’s so full of it :joy:

Or we could sign someone who runs their knackers off for 90 mins each game ‘contributing’ lots to our general play…but is nowhere near as good at the hardest job of a striker, putting the ball in the net. You could argue like Miller or Gordon from recent seasons.

From @CompletelySaddled 's stat upthread that Johnson converts 45% of his chances, that feels like a very high percentage for a striker in League 2 (and would work out at around 33 chances for his 15 goals) especially for a team that doesn’t create that many chances.

Given the choice, I’d much rather stick with that if possible, than twist by signing someone else.

1 Like

I’d still be pleased if he signed. No one player is bigger than wfc though and if it means a ridiculously long contract and big wages then I don’t think we should do it.

You’re a walking contradiction. All you’ve done for the last three years is moan about us not going out and signing a proven goal scorer. Now we’ve got the opportunity to secure one with 15 goals in January, it’s apparently not worth it.

Staggering.

11 Likes

Like who ?
I agree He goes missing in games but then pops up to score the winner with his only chance.
The lad don’t waste many chances and it’s been a while since we’ve had anyone like that, if DJ isn’t signed then I believe that puts pay to any play off chances.
Players like that don’t come up very often and it’s not as if we’ve a youngster coming through that will do it, whatever it costs it is crucial Trivela and co get him back here asap.

1 Like

This.

Totally agree!!

2 Likes

Jeez calm down Tommy. I’d take Johnson but no player is bigger than wfc and if its a financial deal that basically uses up a huge chunk of the budget and we can’t strengthen elsewhere. A goalkeeper would be nice. I’m not up for that

And also there is an inherent risk there. Ur signing a player yes who is a great 'fox in the box. But if the goals dry up you have a very very expensive passanger on the books. Mansfield fans view.

Get it?

When did anyone say that?

1 Like

Plus he would prefer Devante Rodney to be still here instead :see_no_evil::joy:

4 Likes

Yes I would have preferred Rodney to Cashman, Abraham, and Douglas James.

And I’m not apologising for that one lol!!!

Fair enough, but I bet he was costing almost what the three of them were combined.
Clearly wasn’t a fit for MF

Don’t even engage him , he’s either on the complete wind up or he’s a complete idiot , probably both.

1 Like

No. If everyone thought like that nobody would ever sign anyone