End of Season Awards Dinner

Would this be the one where they say our budget is top 7 in the league. If this is true, then that is as much evidence needed that there is no cause for celebration.

If they had anything about there selves they would cancel this. Event.

Itā€™s a slap in the face for the fans. That they have the brass neck. To even. suggest such an. event

Letā€™s hope the Food. served up is not on par with the football. we have had to suffer. Otherwise. The health. Inspector. Will shut them down

But then again. This is the corporate side of things so everything will be bang on. As always.
Itā€™s only the football. Side that is constantly abused.

3 Likes

Perhaps theyā€™ll drop ā€œgive it a good goā€
And use ā€œbetter than beforeā€ as new buzz phrase.

1 Like

ā€œNot a bad seasonā€ :laughing:

Perhaps. Ship of fools. Would be more apt

And then apologise for falling just short :rofl:

To be honest, taking a step back and actually looking for positives compared to this time last season and all Iā€™ve got is the fact that we have an experienced manager.

We have no young players that have come through.
None of the existing squad have improved.
None of the signings have really improved us from what we had last season, hence the similar finish.
Weā€™ve employed a DOF that has failed miserably, plus a manager thatā€™s done the same.
We still donā€™t have a tangible identity or style of play.
The reserves are contriving to do worse than the first team.

I just look at the above and the first thing that strikes me is that Flynn doesnā€™t just need to be a very good manager, he needs to be Graydonesque if heā€™s going to turn this round in one summer working under Fullarton, in fact he probably needs a couple of miracles eg. Holden returning to fitness for a start.

One of the few crumbs of optimism for me is just how crap the rest of the division is, and hopefully Flynn can knock something together that is at least organised and motivated and build from there.

8 Likes

Are they describing it as a celebration? I didnā€™t see that.

3 Likes

I tried to make a similar point on another thread a few days ago and I think it came across like putting Flynn down. Not at all but realistically he has a hell of a job on his hands to turn this around.

Heā€™s got a good pedigree but heā€™s not a miracle worker.

I mean the whole Graydon thing was probably a once in a lifetime thing but there were already some pretty good players at the club Walker, Viveash, Keates, Roper all of whom excelled under his guidance, and then we went out and got players that specifically fit how he wanted to play. As you mentioned we donā€™t really have a lot at the club right now and our recruitment has been dire for years now.

I think he will probably improve us (the bar couldnā€™t be much lower) but to turn a club in the state we are in into challengers is one hell of a task.

1 Like

I dont know. We have beaten 3 of the top 5 and drawn with the other 2.

Theres something fundamentally wrong at Walsall that I dont understand. See the performances at Carlisle, Rochdale and Scunthorpe. See the reactions of Norman, Clarke, Khan, Taylor and Osadebe. I know we have some fans who go OTT with abuse, but most fans are really behind the players to an incredible extent. You wouldnt think it though.

2 Likes

The support has been really good this season. Iā€™m not saying there isnā€™t any incidents but in the main as you say the fans are behind the team.

It shouldnā€™t be forgotten that last season was played behind closed doors, so it would suggest that it isnā€™t the fans that are the problem. Which I think is part of the point you were trying to make.

When you get a team that performs in the way you described it often is an ā€œif we feel like itā€ kind of thing. We have had two decent runs over the season. One when Taylor was manager I think we went 7 or 8 unbeaten although Iā€™m not sure how many we won of those. And then when Taylor was sacked. Other than that we have been abysmal.

3 Likes

Itā€™s called the Board Of Directors.

8 Likes

Its a funny reply and not arguing. But whats the meat on the bones? I mean you can say they are trying to cut costs. But sacking Taylor and hiring Flynn isnt the cheap option. Hiring a DoF isnt the cheap option.

Wonder if theyā€™ll be serving burnt sausage rolls cold pies and concrete burgers? Doubt it somehow.

1 Like

Donā€™t think itā€™s cost cutting just poor decision making since Pomlett took over thatā€™s caused a lot of our problems

For me, the whole focus, from the media interviews, the sub standard service at the bars, to the entertainment, etc etc; the entire psychology of the club is either amateurish or half baked.

There is no duty of care. If our employees really, truly, ā€˜caredā€™ then we wouldnā€™t have high school media project level of fan-focused media, the shit show at home games, no entertainment, the constant downhill slope, the players not giving a shit etc.

A new manager, when they come in, cares. The players only seem to care when their contract is up for renewal / or are club stalwarts.

It appears to me, that the whole negative and shambolic running of the club eventually brings people down and they accept mediocrity.

Accepting mediocrity is a recipe for disaster - and we have seen it for the last 15 years at least. From the club shop, to the media team, to the players, to the ā€˜venueā€™ - no one really cares.

The heartbreaking thing, and the club would be dead in the water without it, is the fans care. I think the support this season, given the absolutely shit tip we have had to endure for years now, after the pandemic, etc., is nothing short of incredible.

Do the people running and working for this club recognise that? Absolutely not.

I havenā€™t renewed my season ticket. I have fallen into the trap the last few years of riding the wave of optimism that hits every end of seasonā€¦ but no more. Not a single Penny of my money up front any more - unless I see tangible, meaningful change. Not just on signings, but every aspect of the club.

17 Likes

Yes, everything at WFC is half-baked, apart from the burnt sausage rolls of course.

I think you are completely correct, and as others have pointed out the philosophy seems to be ā€œthis will doā€ rather than ā€œcan I improve this somehowā€ and the whole structure is infected.

3 Likes

As the ā€˜Giving it a good goā€™ and ā€˜Only signing players with the right characterā€™ has failed miserably, they should be serving humble pieā€¦
Most probably burnt!!

Looks like you wonā€™t be renewing then, join the club I stopped seasons ago, just go to a couple of games a season now.

1 Like

This is why I advocated them doing something different with the season ticket prices this year. Donā€™t do an early bird, keep the price the same up till the start of the season and let fans judge the pre season as to whether we are giving it a go given the last few years.

That was another missed opportunity as there will be those who feel they need to make a decision on a season ticket now and you wonā€™t be on your own in coming to the conclusion that it just isnā€™t worth it at the moment. We are turning in shite performances again at a time when my Twitter feed is inundated with tweets about season tickets. Doesnā€™t drive me to want to purchase at present.

1 Like

What are we awarding for exactly at this dinner? staying up in league two again?

Think Iā€™m washing my hair that night.

1 Like