Fans asked not to use social media to criticise the club

My two penneth is they have shot themselves in the foot to be honest

■■■■ heads aside they have the potential of maybe a couple of thousand people that actually CARE about the club and good, bad and indifferent they should suck it all up and accept this country’s democratic right for freedom of speech so long as it is within the law

It looks a very devisive statement TBH. Almost going back to the previous dictatorship we were owned under

They are missing a trick …What a wonderful opportunity to find out what people want, are unhappy with and can change things accordingly

A prime example, is for years and years “chips” has been bellyached on here. I wonder how much profit has been lost and realise what people think of the general match day catering provisions for the plebs is really like

2 Likes

Cheers mate, appreciate that.

What year is the top from? Can’t remember!

1 Like

2012 / 13. Mate

2 Likes

Same leadership, same old rubbish.

1 Like

Some interesting posts on here. Walsall FC has always, and still does, remind me of a Dad’s business operation that is trundling along quite nicely while the business world changes rapidly around it, just doing enough until Dad finally retires.

Even now with LP, I still get this impression. I know our fanbase is ageing, but we are still hopelessly out of touch with things like social media. Like Dad in the model I’ve compared it to above, they just don’t seem to ‘get it’ imo.

Social media is such a powerful tool, even more so in this virus era, and it’s not going anywhere, but yet again we are lagging behind. We need a professional in the role, but I guess that costs money!

1 Like

The irony is though it wouldn’t cost a lot. Jesus there are probably young fans that would want to do it for free just for the cache! And chances are they’d be better at it than the people in charge would be.

All they would need to do was monitor what went out on it. Saying that if their filter is poor enough to let something like this through then maybe that isn’t the best idea!

1 Like

There are parallels here between the playing team and the media team. We won’t be anywhere near the top payers so we have entry level staff on entry level wages, fresh out of uni looking to cut their teeth in the industry.

When someone good comes along, like Dale Moon, they’ll eventually move on to a bigger club with a bigger pay grade. If they’re not good enough for Walsall they won’t be in the industry for long.

Imagine the lads on the current media team work long hours, travel plenty and work on a tight budget and an even tighter remit - so fair play to them. Ultimately they’ll dictate very little of the ‘official’ output beyond social media goal-flashes and re-Tweets.

4 Likes

The thing is I have worked for potless record labels and events before and they have managed to build and sustain an excellent social media presence with organic growth alone. The reason being young adults with social media skills wanted to be part of the operation because of the kudos of working in nightlife.

This is why the following statement really holds water for me:

Kids are growing up with social media and a young Walsall fan would jump at the chance and as el says, are probably much better qualified than what we have presently. Passion goes a long way in any role.

6 Likes

Issue is, do football clubs really want actual supporters and volunteers in these roles, in charge of output and privy to goings-on behind the scenes?

1 Like

Definitely not at Walsall haha. Can you imagine Jeffreys reaction!? :joy:

1 Like

Put it this way, I doubt many of our fans would go along with calling Danny Guthrie ‘The General’…

4 Likes

Really? I always thought it was an affectionate nod to the old Walsall General Hospital.

5 Likes

With that in mind maybe we should call him Sister Dora :laughing:

2 Likes

More like ■■■■■■■ nora.

5 Likes

I thought we had a young lad running the social media side?

Watch out mate ( and Cookyskid) the AntiCritisism Gestapo will be banging on your door for your appointment at the concentration camp

Think there’s some very harsh criticism of the social media/comms team.

I very much doubt that the guys running the social media side would have had any input on whether that article from the SLO was published. It looks like a communication that’s been influenced and signed off by the Board.

Working in the comms world, I think the admins have done a good job at engaging with supporters especially during the lockdown period. Getting the players to call in to fans on their birthdays or when they were shielding was fantastic and something that quickly gets forgotten during a negative situation.

If you take the last couple of years as a whole, the comms and social media has been much improved, so hopefully this is just a blip that everyone learns from.

11 Likes

Fair point. I still think there’s a bit more updating they can do and appealing to younger people, but ultimately the issue here is not with the social media team, the club have okayed this ridiculous statement at a completely different level to the social media department and I honestly can’t believe they did.

1 Like

With all these issues, I’d be questioning what are Mole & Gamble doing? They should be overseeing things and ensuring the right people with the right experience are in the right place.

It seems to me a lot of delegating things to the lower down staff is going on, which is not bad in itself but at least make sure they know what they can do and give them training in whatever is required.

I suspect this is how it’s worked since Bonser’s regime and is why we appear to have change in communications at the top with Pomlett but that hasn’t filtered down below Mole/Gamble. :thinking:

The likes of comms, ticketing, those working in the facilities and even the SLO need some guidance from the management above. Are they getting it or being left to their own devices?

2 Likes

Ffs lets get rid lol. Once and for all.

Still got zero time for either and despite the change in ownership, they are still totally useless.

The amount of out of work people out there atm, we could get much more capable people in quite easily.

5 Likes