Former players - where are they now?

I think young, strong, tall useless, bad tempered centre backs are in short supply…obviously particularly in Wales!

Nicky Devlin has signed for Aberdeen

Great player for our level. Proper full back and lovely guy. All the best to him

6 Likes

Loved Devlin
Could never understand the negativity towards him? i used to think that our fans had ideas above the teams station

5 Likes

Lovely guy - one of those I wanted most to succeed as he really was a quality person - but really wasn’t a great player for what was our level at the time he played for us.

I always liked Devlin. he struggled in his 1st season but he gave 100%, never bottled a tackle. His 2nd season I thought he really improved and it was a shame the others around him didn’t show his commitment. Used to speak to his Mom at the games and she was a lovely lady, she thought he would stay that summer, was gutted he went but he has done well for himself

2 Likes

Devlin - good guy, average player. Still can’t get over his air shot against Oxford! Good luck to him.

2 Likes

Came after Demetriou and Jason McCarthy so not the worst player I’ve ever seen but he was very technically limited compared to those two.

Done well establishing himself in SPL since going back to Scotland so fair play.

2 Likes

Tbf everyone would look bang average compared to those 2.
Imagine if white was our next rb instead of Devlin after those 2!
Devlin would have faired a lot better if he was signed after white Norman or facey

1 Like

That’s a good point, not easy to follow that pair.
Devlin had a good attitude so I think he’s spared the opprobrium that is heaped on some of his colleagues, but he wasn’t great and if he is doing well in the SPL that suggests it isn’t a great standard. Roddy Mac played in it as well. And Michael Ngoo. :astonished:

Will Randall signed for Notts County

At the top end, where aberdeen are, it’s at least our level. It wouldn’t surprise me that, if he has a good start to the season, he gets a Scotland call up.

Interestingly, when he was here, he was very much a marauding wing back and, certainly during later days with Keates as manager, he was our biggest attacking threat. However, during his time at Livingston, he’s been played far more defensively and has earned himself a good reputation. Maybe he needed some decent coaching to help him develop?

2 Likes

I doubt he’s there, but City have just scored off the Michael Flynn kick off :joy:

3 Likes

I’d be astonished.

Scotland’s current RBs are Hickey at Brentford who started about 30 times for team who missed out on europe by two points and Patterson who’s had his injuries but is a regular starter at Everton so it’s a position they’re pretty strong in.

Devs must be around 30 now aswell so rare you see national teams call up players for first time at that age.

It’s funny isn’t it. Didn’t Whitney say at one of the pre season friendlies when some fans were talking to him that most of the summer budget had gone on him and Leahy and no one was buying it as they came from Scotland’s division one where weekly wage was probably some Haggis and four cans of Irn bru!

Yet as that summer went on it turned out to be very much the case and Whitney showed his weakness as manager by quickly ditching the 3-5-2 that was going to get the best out of them.

Andy Williams re-signs for Hereford

1 Like

I said that would happen months ago!

To think Flynn played him in 30 games thinking he was good enough, why he was allowed to play 100 minutes against Stevenage is beyond me

6 Likes

There’s a significant difference between “resigns” and “re-signs” … :wink:

6 Likes

Why we signed him in the first place is the bigger issue.

2 Likes

Flynn really did make some poor signings , Williams seemed a top bloke tho by all accounts

3 Likes