Former players - where are they now?

Ditto Gijsbert Bos.

1 Like

Really good interiew with him on this podcast:

(14 mins in).

Flynn promised him he’d be starting games and he didn’t. Also had family illness so actually turned down a move to Crawley (he’s from Sussex) to move here as thought he’d get a better chance of making the Coventry squad.

What MAKES and BREAKS a Pro Footballer? (youtube.com)

1 Like

I think he was quite harshly judged and it’s clear he had some issues that didn’t help him away from the pitch….

However I don’t believe for a second that Flynn promised him he’d start games and that’s backed up in his signing interview when he admitted he’d not even spoken to the manager!

Around 1:35 secs

2 Likes

He was shite, dropped down a league, got dropped again, and is now playing National League South.

That is more than enough.

1 Like

Wayne Clarke has just scored for Wolves v Leeds on the Big Match Revisited, playing in midfield. Allan was managing Leeds and said playing him in midfield was " a crime."

1 Like

I see Draper had a 20 minute run in Lincoln’s win yesterday.

Draper this season is like losing DJ last, in lots of ways.

Hopefully, we can sign a decent number 9 on a 3 year contract in the summer. I still think Akinyemi (now doing well at York City) is worth a punt.

Until we get a spine of 1, 5, 8 and 9 where everyone is a consistent 7/10 each week, we are going to struggle to maintain momentum. Walsall’s best teams were always built around a very solid central spine to the first team eleven.

6 Likes

Keeper, wing back and two permanent strikers will be the priority this summer.

Atleast we won’t need a turnover of 40 players for the first time in years.

2 Likes

If we are serious in our ambitions we need to definitely upgrade the midfield, we need to be looking at least the quality of mk yesterday they gave us a lesson.
And the forward players need sorting we have plenty of numbers but not enough quality could be a case of less is more.

1 Like

Competition for both Liam Gordon & Tom Knowles should be top priority preferably wing backs who can put a decent delivery in.

Can’t see us signing another LWB, Gordon and Weir with Allen who will probably be given another year.

Interested to see if Knowles stays here.

Bakayoko has just scored for Dundee

I totally forgot about Weir, definitely need RWB or 2 depending if Knowles stays. I think we have missed him last few games more than what some fans would like to admit.

5 Likes

Is Tishmanga still rated? I can remember him getting a move to Peterborough but it clearly didn’t work out for them and he’s back at Boreham Wood and looks like they’re getting relegated so he’ll be available for very little. 4 goals in 6 games since he went back there.

His goalscoring record at National league level is phenomenal so would surely translate to mid table league 2 o.k.

Probably in the minority but I’d sign Faal full time aswell. With a bit more coaching he’d score 15-20 at this level imo just like Adebayo was.

8 Likes

Surely we won’t sign more than 1 midfielder with the midfield we already have contracted ?

This is not really the right thread for this, but don’t people have hopes that Jellis and Maher will be the stars of our midfield next season?

3 Likes

Saddler signed Stirk and Tierney. They are the type of midfielders he trusts. Lalkovik, despite two strong pre-season performances, was quickly rejected. Maher was similarly discarded. I fear Saddler will always put what he sees as ‘effort’ before talent.

3 Likes

Well, Lalkovic is bumbling around Greek lower league teams, on his 2nd of the season. Doesn’t seem to stay very long at any club these days. Think that Sadler was correct to reject him last summer…

5 Likes

Wish we’d sign him I think he’d have added a lot to a team he cares about and only Footballer in the club anywhere near his technical talent is hutch .

3 Likes

He offers something different, but Sadler likes go play it safe and prefers effort to ability.

The idea Lalkovic would add something to our team I find bizarre . He was good a few years back but has done nothing since. We have to look forward not back.

16 Likes