Former players - where are they now?

Argos used to be a bluish colour.
And something I never noticed until a bloke who printed it told me acouple of years ago, the Star (pink and white) is a fairly unusual page size ie not tabloid broadsheet etc.

2 Likes

That was part of my childhood walk home. I would hang around a bit, walk to middletons, get some orange chips and gravy, get the pink and read it as i eat walking home.

1 Like

I used to get mine from Brian’s newsagents on the corner of Brockhurst crescent and West Bromwich Road. Brian was a Baggies fan the rest of us were a mixture of Walsall fans and Villa fans. We used to have a good football chat while we were waiting for the Argos to come, if you were unlucky you had to make-do with the pink star.

2 Likes

More digression. When did orange chips become a thing?

Thanks for confirming the colour was blue before it became pink. MONKEYDOG and I remember that too but cannot remember when it changed. I posted earlier about waiting in Shelfield for both pinks to arrive. I was in my twenties then but as a youngster I remember this blue paper. I used to be sent to pick up the sports papers from a shop in Butts Rd(long demolished) and although we always had the Pink Star I used to look through the blue paper in the shop.

2 Likes

Maybe this is why we sometimes sing “… When skies are grey - or pink or blue”? :wink:

2 Likes

Brian Griffin - lovely bloke.

2 Likes

I used to write a weekly column on schools’ football for both sports papers. I miss them both but I agree with the majority opinion on this thread - the Sports Argus was the better of the two.

7 Likes

As for misprints, there used to be some real howlers. I remember one report of a game at FP reading that; ‘Buckley turned quickly and shit over the bar’

I always wondered whether that was the work of a mischievous typesetter?

Then change into a Sally Army uniform to try and flog the War Cry.

1 Like

I do think that the Sports Argus / Sporting Star reminiscences deserve their own thread - could a mod possibly split the relevant posts please? Thanks.

2 Likes

Am I right in thinking Pedula ended up being called Gino because of a misprint when his name was really deigo but it just stuck or is my mind playing tricks.

Could well be. Then there was our previous owner’s misprint which seem to have stuck

Sadly, no.

2 Likes

And me. It was the highlight of the week. I felt really important standing at the newsagents at Lazy Hill Aldridge where I was also a paper boy too for my Argus and Star

1 Like

No idea… its like they didnt exist and suddenly they did.

I was a morning paper boy at Lazy Hill

1 Like

I was a paperboy on the Redhouse. Remember queueing for the pink for my dad at the local newsagents. Cost him 20p in sweets each time lol!

1 Like

I was the morning DJ at W.O.L.D

Do you remember Mr Redhouse coughing as we prepared the papers and he chain smoked his Capstan full strength liting one from the nub of the other? He could certainly smoke lol