Freedom day? - Football next season

I agree in so much that the only thing that will stop this agenda (ie. the one you and your pals said was crazy conspiracy theory) is non-compliance, unfortunately I’ve just heard the bloke who owns Heaven nightclub pushing the “why only us, why not pubs, theaters, sports” etc etc. And I think that will be the direction of travel. He also called for passports now but to include the facility to show a negative test - as I said they would beg for.

Its all going rather horribly to plan.

Regards up-coming games, we absolutely need to know what the plan is. I’ve already booked time off work for 4 of our games, 3 of which are away fixtures, and I’ve booked travel for the home game for the whole family. Its already too late for me to cancel the leave for the first two and the clock is ticking on the third. I’ve already wasted a days holiday for a cricket match I wasn’t allowed to attend back when the “cases” were about 1/5th of what they supposedly are now.

2 Likes

There’s a thread on the Sunderland forum suggesting that they are about to be given an allocation of tickets for the away friendly at Tranmere.
I’ll keep an eye on what happens there.

3 Likes

Something is very strange I would criticize Tranmere for not getting their shop in order as to the reason away ticket details for a match less than 3 week’s away are not out yet but then I look on the Walsall ticket website , why are no tickets for any home game on sale yet you literally can’t buy a ticket for a match at Walsall FC and our first home match is not that far away , when are they going on sale ?
Sunderland are apparently playing at Tranmere in a pre season game if they take their usual thousands away I’d presume we can go as Normal if not I’d be worried and I’ve got a feeling it might have something to do with insurance same reason a lot of outdoor music events got cancelled

1 Like

The lack of clarification is rubbish.

But I’d don’t think this is not the administrators of the game (for a change) or the clubs. They got pissed around something rotten last year and we see the government flip-flopping all over the shop on a virtual daily basis. Planning anything beyond tomorrow is often futile but as a football fan you don’t have a choice - you have to plan.

Two and a half weeks until Tranmere and here we are. There will be coaches and trains booked. Family and work arrangements made. And yet I’d say we are probably no better than 60:40 that we will be able to be there (or maybe the other way round if you work on government - who knows?) and if you can be there will there be conditions such as test or vaccine verification?

Hopefully sense will prevail and pay on the day will be announced soon even if that is by card or “no change”. The ground won’t be more than half full (would need to be over 8,000) and neither will our end (would need to be over 1250).

I’d forgotton I had a twitter account, never used it. I’ve just reactivated it and found this from Sunderland in response to one of their fans.

2 Likes

16,000 capacity where’s that number been plucked from so if there’s 15,500 there will be not requirement for the vaccine :joy:

Because they’d already scheduled and sold the tickets for that event prior. Hence why aj v uysk awaiting approval of 100% capacity before being announced

Its too insane for words.

Imagine L1.

You’ll need double jabs to get into barely half empty grounds at the likes of Sheff Wed, Bolton, Sunderland and Ipswich, but the following week you can be rammed to capacity at Lincoln…no jab required.

3 Likes

Yeah and somewhere like Port Vale that I think has an official capacity of 20,000ish, and an away end that holds about 4,000.

Whereas somewhere like Rochdale where you get crammed into one block and won’t require anything (which is what it should be for everywhere).

Absolute madness.

Port vale could easily get around that just net off a load of seats bring capacity down to 15,000

1 Like

I don’t get this ‘from the end of September’ too. Why not as soon as the season commences / restrictions were lifted? What’s going to happen between then and September? Nothing has been said.

It’s no coincidence for me that the lead time between 1st and 2nd vaccination is around 8 weeks and from this date, so is this end of September date they’ve plucked. Clubs and places like football mainly attract a younger demographic where vaccination take up is not as high as they’d like it to be so let’s scare them into thinking ‘well I have have my first vaccination now, I’ll be all good for the end of September’.

2 Likes

There could be no end to it they’ll say at start of October right now you’ve all had your second jabs don’t forget your booster’s by end of February or you won’t be going to the football

Will likely just apply to the top two divisions as can’t think of many championship grounds that are 15k or lower capacity given Rotherham and Wycombe went straight back down.

They’re obviously still s*** scared about 70k piling into likes of Man. United given what happened at Wembley the other week. Walsall v Exeter on a Tuesday with 3.5k instead an 11k ground obviously less of an issue.

I assume for games like that at Bescot home fans to be behind both goals to space things out a bit more.

A big logistical challenge for the Club tomorrow against Villa. Looking likely that there will be in the region of 7,000 fans there so will be interesting to see how everything works with cashless and the usual issues we have when more than 4,000 turn up.

1 Like

Of course there will be no end to it. Once you give away this “right” to the government, you can’t selectively choose in the future.

What it needs is for football clubs to stand up against this, but I don’t see this happening. They all seem shit scared because they want revenue flowing again.

The best bet is high profile musicians etc saying that they refuse to play to audiences selected in a discriminatory manner. There have been a couple already, I would think more high profile ones will follow. This might force government hand in terms of the use of these passports generally.

1 Like

Isn’t it the case that everyone is being offered both jabs by september.

By everyone, who do you mean? The jab has been available for anyone over 18 for a few weeks now.

1 Like

Yes, think that’s the idea.

All over 18s have been offered their first jab a few weeks ago now (can’t remember exactly when), so if it took say 1-2 weeks for them to get their first jab, they would then have their second one 8-12 weeks after that, very roughly sometime in September.

1 Like

So it’s their way of saying then ‘get vaccinated or be excluded from society’.

Like I said before, my question still stands of what happens between now and then? Restrictions have been lifted, so can anyone and everyone go into these clubs until the end of September? I’m sure they will be allowed to.

Bit daft how you’ll be allowed into a club with a double vaccine, yet they’re not going to accept proof of a negative test. So, you could be allowed in with COVID as long as you’re double jabbed but refused entry knowing you don’t have it.

I am someone who has had my vaccine too but it’s blatantly obvious what the government are trying to do here.

1 Like