Going Down?

I think there are more culpable people to blame than a couple of fans with a dodgy stream

1 Like

You ought to get that prostrate checked chunkster.

3 Likes

We could get 10 million from deeney and we’d still have no cash

7 Likes

Property values would suddenly go up

Remember International Track & Field on the PlayStation? When my mates and I had played it to death and back, we had the ingenious idea of trying to get the lowest score in a given competition (fouls don’t count). Not easy, and leads to some amusing “high” jumps.

3 Likes

This division this season has consistently served up some of the worst football I’ve ever seen at any level, including under 7’s. I can only think the lack of crowds has had something to do with it.

7 Likes

I think we’ll stay up…but only just.
It’s desperately sad where we find ourselves but as in most things in life,you get what you pay for.
We have virtually a new team every season put together on a shoestring…occasionally it works…Graydon and Smith…Nicholl as well.
But apart from Smiths teams your going back a very long way…most league tables are mirror images of that divisions highest wage payers…you get what you pay for.
In 2014 Salford could only dream of being a club like Walsall,now we find ourselves looking up at them as they push for the next division,with there 5000 capacity stadium. I can’t think of a outstanding manager or managers,players or games they’ve been involved in…the fuel that’s pushed them is the same that all sports teams need…money!..

2 Likes

Salford is just an anomaly. No one sensible is asking for money like that to be spent.

Look at Cheltenham though. Signing guys like Alfie May and Liam Sercombe from the league above on good length deals, that’s the ambition and quality I want.

They’ve been top 3 pretty much all season.

7 Likes

I agree Salford are unusual and yes Cheltenham are doing very well with sound investment…but it’s still money,not as much and spent in different ways but still money. Cheltenham haven’t cobbled together a bunch of free transfers and kids and hoped for the best.

2 Likes

Nowt wrong with an occasional successful relegation scrap (which this will be, any bets ?).

Beats mid table mundainity.

In ten years time it’ll be …" remember that thirty yarder from Osei yaw. that kept us up "

£8k a week spent on players not rent, make all the difference at this level. That’s 3 quality starters.

When we relegated from league one, I said we should be looking down and not up. Although I expected a proper relegation fight not to be needed until our 3rd/4th season in this division. It’s depressing it’s happened within 2.

I think BD will get us the lucky win and 3/4 goalless draws that will keep us up, just. But next season I fear will be at real risk of non-league oblivion. So sad.

7 Likes

I’ve always believed when Clarke took over that he must have had a reasonable budget for this division, that’s only been reinforced since seeing up close how he operates doesn’t seem the type to undersell himself.
For me the problem is/was as I’ve posted before is that he wasted his budget on his bang average mates and a unfit ,under motivated statement marquee signing, and added even more really average players to it and ending up with a large uninspiring squad to the detriment of our own young players , Instead of getting a good spine of proven good players at this level and making better use of the loan market and developing our own.
I’m afraid the lack of any quality in this squad lies firmly at Clarke’s door

3 Likes

But as we have been told a number of times, we aren’t the only club to pay rent, there are a number of them out there. So how do they afford to get players in and pay better wages to attract them? Do they have more money behind them / coming in? Are they playing a more risky game and so not “as well run” as others clubs i.e. us?

If the mossive sign by the M6 is meant to cover the rent, what are we doing with the rest the money coming into the club through (previously at the moment) conferencing and commercial activities, season tickets, gate receipts etc? We won’t have the lowest crowds in this division by a long way.

I just think we can’t use our money very well and waste it in certain areas. Unless things we are told such as the m6 sign money isn’t true.

3 Likes

Don’t disagree.

Whether it’s rent or available funds, the finances of this club are not being used effectively and we need to understand why.

Transparency would be a start.

6 Likes

The M6 sign doesn’t cover the rent. It supposedly generates £500k of income, but the running costs etc have to be deducted, to give whatever profit it creates.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I have probably misquoted what has previously been said and written. So do we know what the operating costs of it are? If it makes 500k i hope the running costs are not any more than half that to leave some money to make it worth it!

1 Like

You would hope it does generate some profit, but wouldn’t the club be shouting about that figure rather than the mentioning the income, if it was that significant?
The increase in rent after the sign was installed also needs to be added in to the running costs too, before any profit is made.

Couple of things there.

In the Rochdale video I posted on the WPM minutes thread, their chairman said that there were only eight clubs in the two lower divisions who were ran as a normal business with every other club dependant upon the generosity of a benefactor. I’m guessing we are one of the eight.

That doesn’t mean the other 40 are “cheating” which is what Walsall FC sometimes imply. It is that there is an acknowledgement that the current game requires backers who derive a value that isn’t necessarily financial. It is a lifestyle thing. Some are “giving back” to club or community whilst others are rich people who just want to be involved in football. Barry Fry pitched Peterborough to Darragh Mcanthony. I don’t know if Mcanthony could have pointed to Peterborough on a map, he’s a Liverpool fan from Ireland but he wanted a football club, not to make himself even richer but he wanted the thrill of being involved. He is a great owner for them. It wouldn’t surprise me if his and others’ eyes past over Walsall FC but at that time iJeff made us impenetrable. His thing - no-one else welcome. And now we are just unattractive unless you are so rich that doing the first £7-10million on buying the ground doesn’t immediately stymie your grander plans. But if you were that rich you are probably eyeing a Championship/League one outfit unless some part of your heart belongs to Walsall. Anyone?

5 Likes

Could imagine Daz and Bri cuddling up on the sofa last night with their chicken chow mein doing the same

Good point

Do the profit the signs generate warrant the hassle of generating turn over

Likewise the conference and banqueting what sort of profit do they provide in relation to turn over

And finally the football - profit to turn over

I’d love to understand the split between all these and in understanding that knowing what level of staff are attributed to it

We keep getting told Mole and Gamble don’t do football … well is it worth them taking a wage if the non football stuff isn’t worth it

Pomlett needs to give clarity on stuff like this