Gone very quiet on comms

Bore off mate, that’s clearly not what I’m saying :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Nah just speak to the press like any other manager would be fine in DCs case.

@el_nombre for supreme leader

Being a football manager is not easy - as much as some people like to think it is. If that were the case surely some of us could put ‘Won the Champions League with Walsall FC in 2025 on FM19’ on our CV and walk straight into a job, right?

I think some of us need to stop being so over analytical of our manager and open our eyes to the fact that, even though we have a new and more transparent chairman, it doesn’t mean that all players ‘we as fans want’ will sign for us, just because the fans want it.

1 Like

He has given some details around the freehold and it seems that the deal is in its early days still. Until funds have been secured and heads of terms are agreed, then yes a timescale is difficult to give. That’s just business unfortunately, also the possibility exists that parts of any deal are under an NDA currently.

So what information do you want from Clarke that he isn’t giving to the press, he has stated why he doesn’t talk about injuries. He has said what positions he would like players coming in before the deadline and as is relatively standard for this level he hasn’t named specific targets. Can’t really see what else you want him to say?

What details? I genuinely must have missed them. I watched the interview with the express and star and read the notes of his meet the chairman evening. If he has given details I’ll genuinely take it back.

You can’t really see what else he can do? Other than tell his own fans the state of the team or contract lengths or whatever? Seems to me a crafty way to avoid giving x player x length deal to me or avoid selection criticism. It’s not something any other manager feels necessary to keep to themselves. There’s two examples of pretty standard things that most managers talking about. Saying he’s stated his reasons doesn’t mean I agree with him. The whole point of him being interviewed by the press is that it’s his outlet to keep the fans, the people that pay to actually watch, in the loop.

Basically the sale of the freehold has been discussed between Bonser and Pomlett but it is early days and a way of acquiring it is being discussed and planned. Timescales and details are not available at this moment and that has been clearly communicated by Pomlett. That’s where the deal is and has been communicated, he can’t give more details if they currently don’t exist or there are mitigating reasons why he can’t speak about them.

Clarke has communicated very clearly about what details he gives and doesn’t give and what information he gives out on contracts, injuries, selections, transfer etc. If you are not happy with it by all means call for his head otherwise you’ll just have to live with the fact that’s how he does it and criticising will get you nowhere (you won’t change his approach, it’s how he does it). Again however comms have been very clear on this.

It appears to me it’s not lack of comms you are unhappy with it’s that you don’t like the comms that the club releases.

1 Like

So it’s been communicated that there will be no communication? Is basically what I’m taking from that.

You’re missing my point. Saying “we won’t be disclosing x y and z” is no better than having no communication in the first place.

I’m not calling for Clarke’s head at all. But that doesn’t mean his methods shouldn’t be open to criticism. Refusing to give info to the fans who pay to watch is point blank wrong, whatever our results are.

I’d rather LP and DC were working hard to find some players for us than updating us every hour about absolutely nothing.

I don’t agree about hiding information away about injuries and contracts etc. I personally think it will only make people lose patience quicker if things are going wrong. IF it turns out Guthrie is as much of an important player as people think he is then not knowing whether he is out for three weeks or three months just causes people to moan more when there is no timescale for how long we could be missing a piece of the jigsaw.

That said, he has communicated with us about why he does it, it’s his decision and he lives and dies by his decisions so crack on. But as I say, he has told us why and so it’s easier to see it from his side. Previous regimes would have just said nothing.

As for LP, he’s said as much as he can at this point, he doesn’t need to be at the front every day. He’s taking a backseat as chairmen should. I’d hate nothing more than him coming out every day to discuss what? How the team played? We’ve heard everything about the sale of the club, the freehold terms and when there is an update he will of course tell us.

4 Likes

All together now, Here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go !!! Alert,alert, common denominator at large😁

1 Like

On signings they do communicate they just don’t disclose contract details. On injuries he keeps quiet which is his choice.

In regards to communication I see tweets from the club fairly regularly these days, I get email newsletters, the E&S put out articles. We have even been told what type and how many signings he’s hoping to bring in before Grimsby. Ultimately it is comms and you just aren’t happy that it isn’t the comms you want.

I’d much rather judge Clarke on his results on the pitch than his way of talking to the media and if his methods improve our club I don’t care I just want to enjoy the football I pay to watch (and on a side note from me personally I want to see a club involved in the local community).

1 Like

Yes it is, because they’ve explained the reasons why. You may not agree with those reasons, I don’t particularly, but at least you know.

But they did used to communicate on those things before? So does literally every other club.

See above @chriss5471. Saying well at least Clarke has told you why doesn’t mean it is A the right decision or B better than we have had before.

DC has also outlined how you can literally approach him with any question, in person or otherwise, and he’ll talk more openly in private than he does with the press.

It’s a different strategy to previous managers, but if it helps us gain a small 1% advantage over the opposition, then that’s fine by me.

1 Like

So what you are saying then is a) you are not satisfied with Clarke because of how he does things, b) the actually amount of comms from the club has never been a problem and finally c) the big problem for you is the style of comms coming from the club?

I respect but do not agree with Clarkes decision on not telling us about injuries and when they are likely to be back… An update on our long term injured man kory Roberts would be good though.

1 Like

Come on lets be realistic. You can’t even get to a club shop outside of normal working hours never mind a training session. He knows that won’t happen and he knows he won’t have to disclose that information. If the answer, as a paying fan, is well if you want to know if one of our key players is injured book some annual leave and come down to a training session and just knock on my door because I can’t be arsed to talk to the press then that is absolute ■■■■■■■■.

I know someone who has already been down to the training ground and shown around :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Good for them, not an option available to majority of the 3 and half thousand or the extra thousand they want to put on the gate unfortunately.

As I said earlier, drop him an email and I’m sure he’ll respond. :+1:

Also, I’d suggest getting in touch with the comms team at the Club if you’re unhappy with the media strategy.

I suppose it’s easier to just keep going round in circles on here, though…

2 Likes