Grimsby Town (A) - Sat 27th March, 3pm

This coming Saturday The (not so super) Saddlers head off to the picturesque town of Grimsby to take on The Mariners, in another contest that could determine the fate of one or both clubs potentially.

Imagine the fish puns that could be inserted here… but I best not as there’s a time and a plaice for those. Oh my Cod, sorry… on with the preview before I get digitally battered.

Grimsby Town are currently managed by Paul Hurst and find themselves languishing at the bottom of the English Football League, being 24th In League Two with a record of 31 points from 36 matches. Astonishingly, these are only one of two teams (the other being Southend) to have won less league games than us… how bad are we?!

The Mariners come into this game with a little bit of confidence after 3 points on Tuesday night, and that extended their unbeaten run to 5 games meaning they are in better form than we are too, oh dear.

The last six Mariners games have been:

6th March - Forest Green Rovers (a) - Lost 2-1
9th March - Carlisle United (a) - Drew 1-1
13th March - Colchester United (h) - Drew 0-0
17th March - Tranmere Rovers (h) - Drew 0-0
20th March - Mansfield Town (a) - Drew 2-2
23rd March - Barrow (a) - Won 1-0

For players that have played for both teams, I expect @TheBostedSlab to contribute with a large list, but two off the top of my head are the current Grimsby goalkeeper James McKeown and our much maligned ex-striker Andy Cook. Of course, for the older generation on here, Alan Buckley has history with both teams too.

Following Tuesday’s bore draw, what do you think the team is going to be? Rory Holden is on the verge of returning from injury, whilst I believe Tyreik Wright is still on International duty. Will Tom Leak keep his place after being our MOTM (in my opinion) on Tuesday? Just what will Dut-Ball put together this time? He is being very Koi and keeping his cards close to his chest.

One thing is for sure, this game is massive. If our strikers would like to fin-ish that would be much appreciated and could help us to krill the game off, otherwise we are going to be floundering for our League Two status.

Score predictions and general match predictions welcomed.

PS. I read a stat today that is quite harrowing. Should we end up relegated we will be TWO divisions behind Shrewsbury, and only TWO divisions above Hednesford Town and Rushall Olympic.

PPS. For anyone who wants to predict the rest of the League Two season, here is the rather aptly named Fishy Calculator - League Two Calculator

PPS. Sorry, I am gill-ty of far too many fish puns. Apologies.

Enjoy the game, folks!

Grimsby Town vs Walsall - Match Result
  • Grimsby Town Win
  • Draw
  • Walsall Win

0 voters

1 Like

I saw Ian Turner play for Grimsby back in October/November 1972 (a 1-0 win, John Woodward goal iirc) and before seasons end he was playing for us on loan, joining us permanently a few years later, so he’s one who played for both. The Buck had quite a few ex-Saddlers when he was Grimsby Manager.

I think we will win this 1-0 just so Dutton keeps his job forever

1 Like

4-2 win in a thriller to the Saddlers, having been 2-0 down inside the first 15.

2 own goals courtesy of Grimsby; just after half time, Perry screamer in the 72nd and a dodgy pen in injury time.

Dutton carried off the pitch, with players holding a ‘back off, we’re staying up’ banner, whilst Martin O’Neill does the lambada in the stand with David Kelly, the SLO and LP.

2 Likes

Sounds very dull, don’t think I’ll bother. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Drawsall
0-0 or 1-1
Rinse and repeat

Sounds good. LP has a 9-year contract ready for Dutton to sign straight after the game.

2 Likes

https://thefishy.co.uk/calc.php

Mine has us 22nd on 44 points staying up just.

2 Likes

Darren Wrack, Simeon Jackson, Michael Leary, Jordan Cook, Martin Butler, Richard O’Kelly, Andy Tillson, Gary Childs, Peter Till, Mark Prudhoe, Colin Cramb, Jamie Forrester, Nicky Featherstone, Kevin James, Steve Chettle, Olly Lancashire, Richard O’Donnell, Jamie Lawrence, Andy Butler, Gordon Hobson, Peter Sweeney, Dale Banton, Dave Wilson, Clayton McDonald and Craig Shakespeare have played for both clubs.

Others to have either played or managed/coached for both are Chris Nicholl, John Ward, Iffy Onuora, Mick Halsall and Neil Woods.

2 Likes

Bit disappointed this one hasn’t been selected by sky what with it being international weekend and all.

Can’t be many more important games this weekend.

Quite glad we won’t be exposed to more ridicule than necessary…

5 Likes

My concern is the forward line ours and there’s
Stefan Payne, John Lewis Lendal and Hanson (who always seems to score against us) in a 4-3-3 with Matt Green on the bench
We have Lavery Gordon and the two loanee’s
Can’t see a clean sheet so 1-0 defeat 1-1 at best

Grimsby have a bit of momentum, I see them beating us 2-0.

Not gonna bother watching this… everytime they play atm they are spoiling the day/night… fed up of feeling angry after the game… hope we win but I doubt it

1 Like

Grimsby win 2-0.

That’s what I reckon. For anyone fancying a flutter, I’ve founds odds on that at the moment at 28 / 1.

Nice, I think we’re a sitting duck for them :weary:

Didn’t think we would be using it this season ! I got 44 points as well. Think our survival is really dependent on either Grimsby or Southend pulling off a shock result. If one of them gets 3 points against one of the top 7 sides we could be in massive trouble. Personally I can see us winning only 1 more game and getting the odd draw.

1 Like

Could get a decent team out of that lot!