Hey DJ

Training with the team? I’d pencil him in for the bench for the Salford game maybe?

This was on the Mansfield website at the time we signed Johnson. The way it reads it sounds like we are 1st in the queue in deciding if we want to sign him permanently. Obvioulsy DJ holds the aces as to where he goes now after doing so well, so far.

Wonder if he is one on Flynn’s list should Johnson go back in January

These sort of comments from Flynn always make me a little nervous…

1 Like

If anything, we need this sort of striker ‘alongside’ Johnson

1 Like

When I read “we are trying to keep him for the rest of the season at least” I read we want him on loan until the end of the season. I’m not against that just an observation.

We shouldn’t be held to ransom but I do feel we should go a little bit extra than we usually would. He’s an important signing. Even if we were willing to spend a few bob on another striker most teams aren’t selling their best forwards in January.

When I read we are looking to add cover in the wing back positions I also read an acceptance that Bennett is going back. Maybe the ghosts of Walsall past are still very much in mind though and I should open my mind a little.

You can’t always get what you want and you have to accept that. It is what we do if things don’t go how we want is what I will be interested to see.

8 Likes

Always that risk with loans. Nice to see we are being pro-active in highlighting areas for improvement. Hopefully our January signings are a little better than Osei-Yaw, Shaibu, Sheron et al.

Regarding Johnson, I honestly think Mansfield will sell him in January, as they won’t want to lose him for nothing.

1 Like

Anyone know where DJ and his family are based ? As that could have bearing on his decision if and when a few clubs show interest.

He was born in Middlesbrough but I’m guessing with him playing for Mansfield and going out on loan to us that his immediate family doesn’t live a million miles away.This will all come down to Mansfield’s owners being greedy and thinking because he’s found form here that he’s all of a sudden Neymar(in their heads).A bit of reality has to be added to the negotiations,we are talking about a league two striker who’s 30 February and has been left in the dark with his parent club who will be losing him for free come the end of this season anyway.

I can’t see him going back and walking into the Mansfield team and I’d have been more worried if they were in the bottom four but as I’ve said Mansfield to me need to be realistic and take something over nothing in 7 months time because that’s the actual reality.

1 Like

I can’t see it with Wilkinson coming back unless we can offload / send back a few.

More of a warning to Mansfield, we’re here to do a deal but don’t take the piss.

He’s hardly likely to say we will pay whatever it takes to keep him. Wouldn’t exactly put you in best negotiating position😄

1 Like

How many years do we have to bare this though , surely with the takeover they (we ) have to show more intent than we are used to .

2 Likes

No but for once i think if Wilkinson is ready to go, which is not certain by any means, Walsall have another strong option in the worst case scenario he leaves us. I cant remember that ever been the case in my lifetime to be honest. We usually miss out and end up scraping the barrell for an Osei Yaw.

A loan to the end does Mansfield no good at all does it. Which must be in our favour, if DJ really loves it here…

Ive just got visions of some northerners like Barrow/Salford etc lobbing money at him.

If we are going to seriously challenge for promotion we should be hoping / aiming to have both DJ AND Wilkinson up front as options .

1 Like

I agree. The prospect of having them both fit and firing is quite exciting.

1 Like

And it looks like that is exactly what we are aiming for. We just don’t know what external forces might stop us.

1 Like

DJ would have scored that 2nd pen.

I would have scored that 2nd pen.

I’d have not reached the goal :frowning:

I can never remember - was it Charlie Tarmac or Evran Wright whose shootout penalty at Scunthorpe nearly didn’t? :see_no_evil: