Im new to this so go easy on me , oh by the way im the son of bernie the bolt ..!

Not sure why he left the second time…presumably it was either a money matter or perhaps some sort of fallout as often happens. Others may know more than I do…

1 Like

Was Doug Fraser the Manager who sold Bernie? Or had Dave Mackay taken over by then?
He left round the time we changed Managers but I can’t remember. If I had to guess I’d say it was still Doug, but not with much confidence I’m correct.

1 Like

Bernie the Bolt. One of my heroes as a kid!

:grinning:

Bernie won’t talk about football mate. He won’t even watch it on tv any more, Such a shame he was one of my al, time favourites at . Walsall,
My old man got to know him well. And became good friends. During his two spells with us. And when they trained on the bronzes pitch used to take me. To watch them, Big Bernie always. Came over and spoke And sent me off to get him a bottle of lemonade. From the works canteen, ( but those are a story in themselves lol ) Great guy, but who will unfortunately. Have nothing to do with. Or speak of football

There’s more chance of bonser gifting the club it’s freehold back than ever getting big Bernie back in front of fans. Which is a huge shame as he was alongside. Buckley and Andrews. Part of the best frontline I’ve ever seen play for Walsall. In my 55 years following them

2 Likes

After reading these couple of threads Bernie sounds like an absolute delight :+1:t2:

2 Likes

hello folks,
ive got a new profile now,
Im very sorry for any mis-understanding yesterday,
im not here to upset anyone but have a laugh and talk football,
If anyone was upset please accept my heart felt apoligy - hope we can all be friends again.
And if i got a bit touchy yesterday , again im sorry.

4 Likes

b10 b2b8

Super Mac? No its Super Bernie!

3 Likes

I remember Mick Tuohy from that team photo scoring a shedload of goals for Worcester City and Kiddy Harriers for a decade or so. Lot of competition at that time to play up front for us, The Buck, George Andrews, Bernie, Terry Spinner, so he never got an opportunity with WFC.

1 Like

I loved the uniforms during the mid 70’s, it what we should be wearing now; White shirts with red trim, red shorts and white socks with red trim. Simple and basic, our colours.

3 Likes

What’s a uniform ? lol.
I had one of them in Butts infants.

My favourite Walsall kit

Got to be honest I didn’t recognise Brian Caswell there.

Alan Birch looks like he should be in the under 16s. :grinning:

Sure he made his debut at the age of 16 didn’t he?

Neither did I. It’s a bit strange, I’ve seen other old photos from years ago, recognise every player except for one bloke I can’t place, and it’s always Brian Caswell. I don’t know why.

1 Like

Apparently born Aug 1956, so he’s 18 there but played 1972 onwards so yes, 16. I feel old !!

great article boys thx

16 years and 209 days to be exact!

1 Like

Acker made his debut as a Sub. in March 1973 when we beat Brizzle Rovers 4-3, one of our goals coming from Bernie Wright. Started his first game 2 or 3 weeks later. At the time Acker was our youngest ever player and remained so for a long time, until his record was taken by David McDermott, I think.
He played some sparkling football in the second half of the 74-75 season, having played little in the first few months. Interest from Spurs, supposedly, if the papers were to be believed.

1 Like

im going over to see dad the weekend.
i think im gonna have a word about doing something.

1 Like