January 2024 Transfer Window

Totally underwhelming 5/10 for me. Clarity established on the Trivela plan… no aspirations of League 1 football in 2024. We will struggle to trouble the top 12 but will be given a barrow load of bullshit around incremental growth and off field stability and improvement to the business infrastructure and a smattering of long term building of the football squad. We do not “own” a strike force and we all knew the glaring voids at RWB and the No.8, regardless of the proffered formation the squad is also devoid of any width or ability to cross the ball. I appreciate that January market is limited and prices over inflated but I feel as though the supporters have been betrayed again after a promise of significant funds being made available to strengthen … hollow words AGAIN… hope I’m wrong but feel the season slips by with a whimper from here now

9 Likes

I just cant believe that as we sit 13th in the league and could be 16th again if we lose sat that sadler is happy with this squad… they are off there heads if they think we have a chance of top 7

7 Likes

Surely Oteh is competition for Knowles at RWB.

1 Like

I think we have done well in the window, we have targeted what we want, have depth in every position, Invested in youth which we do not usually do. If Sadler came out and said we need more players and didn’t do anything, I’d be worried, but he said days ago he was done. I have a lot of respect for a manager who sets plans, and sticks to them. It might not give us success tomorrow, or even this season but we a no longer chucking stuff up the wall until it sticks.

We have a game plan, and a philosophy. There seems to be some people with an abundance of life experience on this forum, potentially some with really high level management experience. If you went to into any business, be it retail, construction or football that is failing, you set a 5 year plan with short and long term goals. We are sticking to our short term goals which gives me the upmost belief we will achieve our long term goals.

Let’s all calm down and enjoy life as a Walsall Fan :smiley:

14 Likes

Not only have we bought well for the future but we have resigned players and even more importantly not sold any of our gems. Excellent January window if you ask me.

5 Likes

We have a game plan, and a philosophy.

I’m not sure that we have a game plan, nothing like what we had with Smith.

4 Likes

Which is critical when playing with wing backs as they account for a high percentage of your creativity.

3 Likes

Some right misery and old bollox around our situation after a reasonable January window. :roll_eyes:
I’ll repost this from the other thread for a cheerier opinion.

6 Likes

A perfect assessment of life as a Walsall fan, how many years is it now that we have been saying…
“Perhaps it might be better next season”

Status quo management for remaining mid table or 16/17th spot.

4 Likes

We didn’t have that game plan 6 months in with Dean.

1 Like

It should be noted there has been a strategy to this recruitment. No panic loaning or shipping in injured players.

If the strategy works remains to seen.

4 Likes

On the podcast, James O’Connor said that they knew that the 2015-16 season was their chance, that the team would go their separate ways at the end of the season and that it was promotion or bust. This season doesn’t feel like that. With so many players signed up till 2025, next season might.

5 Likes

Underwhelming imo, screaming for a better RWB who can defend (no disrespect to Knowles)

Just feels like we will fall short again, the cycle always seems to be next season with Walsall. What about having a proper crack at it now? Or should the fans just not bother coming?

On the topic of next season I could easily see the likes of Daniels and Hutchinson being picked up by a better side.

I think it’s a very good window. 8 out of 10. Well done Trivela. Our problems are having a clueless manager particularly the persistence with wing backs. Darrell Clarke would have these players in the top 7. No problem

1 Like

Going into local non league talent is what fans have cried out for for years.

Replaced the fantastic Draper, who also just happened to be ‘some loan’ when he first joined, with two strikers which both offer something completely different.

Despite your negativity you think these are decent contract extensions, so they’re definitely worth bringing up.

This bit I agree with, if we keep sacking managers we start from scratch. The chance to rebuild has too often been ripped up after a season here, time to actually give a chance to build.

7 Likes

Perhaps some of the January blues were still about when I posted.

Just baffled by some of the hyperbole around the fact we arent exiting the window weaker than when we started. I think our business has been decent but some going like we are a club transformed. It’s same old for me. I’m still yet to be convinced. Let’s not bring up Boycotts “significant investment” line :joy: as it appears anyone in Walsall boardroom just can’t help themselves these days.

Having said that it was a quiet one for most clubs this season at all levels. Perhaps it’s time to bin off the transfer window.

3 Likes

The idea we would rebuild the squad in January is fanciful in my view. Players are generally not available and those that are would probably cost a fortune. I don’t think we have weakened the squad at all however we shall only find that out over the next few months. It all depends on how many goals Faal and Gordon get.

1 Like

Solid 7
Nothing scary
Losing draper was expected
Decent replacements on loan
Couple of inexperienced kids from Ireland and non league which can go either way
I’m happy it just wasn’t a disaster. I was sure we would sell hutch for a freddo deadline day

2 Likes

Would imagine he’ll be gone in the summer, can’t see him signing another contract if he continues to perform (albeit inconsistently), and it would make sense to cash in as that looks like the Trivela model.

Question is, will he go for his true value, or a value the old guard would have accepted? Because Trivela will never get anywhere if it’s £100k plus a sell on that will never materialise.

He’s signed a contract up to 2025.