January 2024 Transfer Window

Yes, hence why I can see us selling him this summer, i.e 2024, and him not extending further.

Yeah agreed, the 2025 contract just there to retain some value i think. If rumours of clubs sniffing around are to be believed of course.

Remember, the majority of nodding dogs thought the signings of Matt, Stevens, Songoā€™o and Wilmot made us stronger this time last year, and they didnā€™t.

3 Likes

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0jC9msELGEBaorfTsema9hsnFxSZCS8tzZi4MeKPQ3oisjZaV1HYZ3cAuDsAvrir7l&id=100063589869831

Maybe we will see this chap in the future.

We are the footballing version of Del Trotter its always this time next year every year.

5 Likes

Always has to be an element of the future within football clubs but we dont half take the biscuit :joy:

Solid window. Draper returning to his club was a certainty, so nothing surprising. Time will tell how he will be replaced. Only that right side of defence ā€¦

We could realistically end up with no strikers in the summer 2 loans will go back DJT and Matt will probably be let go and DJ may decide he wants a move how is that building? We could need a complete overhaul of our attacking options again and how old is Jellis if heā€™s one for the future?

Hopefully heā€™s better than Cederqvist.

2 Likes

Hed never get a work permit.

A better January than weā€™ve had in years. I trust that there is a longer term plan here and next season will be the one where we go for it. If we can get key players fit and tie down a couple of quality signings in the summer, notably up front, then I see no reason why we canā€™t be up there. You could name most of our starting 11 for next season already and chances are we know who we want in the summer and have begun making overtures. That stability and familiarity is worth a lot.

If we donā€™t make it next season, then we will be looking at a rebuildā€¦and possibly a new manager. This season is now about getting the machine ticking over as well as possible and helping target the areas that still need work.

1 Like

Born in Dublin so not impossible.

1 Like

When we get the sell-on money from Adebayo, weā€™ll be millionaires!!

1 Like

As quite a few ā€˜comediansā€™ put it in a slip in my match threadā€¦ Groundhog dayā€¦
How many more years must we have to be satisfied with a mid table (or lower) finish? Just like this already written off, losing mentality, drawn out, failure of a seasonā€¦probably as long as mugs like us continue to fund it I suppose.
Wouldnā€™t it be great for a change if we could have a team that would be going to Gillingham NOT expecting us to lose?

2 Likes

Miserable git! For the first time in a long time thereā€™s a more positive future, and some contracts that lay the backbone for a summer. Instead of ā€˜if not this year then when?ā€™ thereā€™s a hint of ā€˜if not this year then next!ā€™ and thatā€™s a huge change from the groundhog days of Bonserā€™s long slow decline and Pomlettā€™s Covid-hampered leak-plugging.

5 Likes

This topic was a discussion in the pub last night with a few other Saddlerā€™s pilgrims and we all came to similar conclusions

Based on the fact tht it was the Dame who brokered the deal, we are effectively in steerage sailing on the Titanic. It wouldnt surprise any of us if the Club ended up having to pay Luton a fee if they sold him to cover their costs of developing him.

So donā€™t hold your breath

That is a fair point.

1 Like

The deal was on the same lines as the Henry deal so we are probably being paid so much for each appearance he makes. It is likely the amount per game isnā€™t as high but I just hope he keeps playing.

https://x.com/tomhwilliams23/status/1754845483955057057?s=46&t=ujs-QRghJ2GcbKPYDBur3w

Good goal here from Connor Barrett the weekend, the RB who we were interested in January! Will be interesting if we re-visit in the summer! Doesnā€™t seem like he lacks in pace, and shown more composure there than TK has all season (Iā€™m not a TK critic either btw)

5 Likes

Agreed, One goal doesnt make a player but, better than any RB Ive seen in red this season based on that.