Key signing for next season?

It must have been someone even older than me!! Any takers?

1 Like

Key signing every season is always the same. The rent cheque.

4 Likes

Two words for that money and wages all fine though because its not Bonser more chance of platting fog than us going up anytime soon and next season you can bet the budget will be even lower I can see us getting out of this division the wrong way downwards if things don’t change.I might be completely wrong but time will tell

1 Like

Inexperienced manager with a poor playing budget, what could possibly go wrong!

2 Likes

Weird consistently picking on the two most consistent players , not great players but in the scheme of things as good as it gets for us at the moment

1 Like

Exactly.

Changed my mind a little on Scarr, his stats in all fairness are really good. The real problem is that he has no ball players around him.

Pair him up with a good Centre half and stick a ball playing midfielder in front of him, and he would be probably be solid as a rock.

1 Like

What’s not in the stats is how many times he ■■■■■ up - and is poor position wise. His passing is also really poor.

2 Likes

That’s why is said, put better players around him.

Chances of us signing anyone better are very slim.

According to the stats he’s had 1 error that’s led to a goal being scored.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying he’s Ruben Dias at all but he’s good enough to be part of a play off team in league two and we ain’t exactly going to go out and spend big on a centre half are we.

1 Like

Not sure we can say Scarr is not good enough to be in a League 2 promotion winning team, when he’s already been in one!

After playing over 20 games on loan at Wycombe (from Birmingham), you would think with 3-4 years more league experience he should be more than capable of being part of one.

More likely he needs a consistent, reliable partner at c.back, and a settled formation would probably help too. A few games with Clarke then Jules now Sadler plus now possibly going to 3 at the back might not be the best for a defence to get any understanding between them?

1 Like

I think it was said above we’ll get the best out of Scarr with the right partner. An older more footballing centre half. Chuck in a proper experienced football league keeper and he’d come on leaps and bounds

To my mind the criticism of Scarr’s distribution is a little unfair, except where he commits a howler such as against Cheltenham.
It is the relationship between the defence and midfield which is the problem for me. Seldom do you see a central midfielder coming short and demanding the ball off Scarr which has to be part of their job and even when they do, almost invariably, they pass it back straight to him. He is not equipped to play that type of game safely at the moment and it just heaps more pressure on him and shifts the responsibility onto him to get the ball forward. That usually results in a long ball which more than likely means we lose possession. As that seems to have been the basis of our play up until now, then the more able midfielder should be the one taking responsibility for getting the ball forward with more quality.
I don’t mind Bates and Kinsella as players, but not when the ball goes backwards from them which it seems to do an awful lot. I suppose the next debate is why is that so and therefore the relationship between midfield and the attackers comes into question. And on it goes!

Exactly my criticism of Kinsella in a midfield two. It’s all connected.

1 Like

Agree fully, hence why he put Norman in there the last couple of games unfortunately it just didn’t work.

1 Like

Yeah you need a football brain to play as a holding player, and be comfortable taking the ball off the back 4 and showing yourself - Norman does not and will never do that because he’s not a midfielder. I don’t blame him either, he’s a right back.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how reliable those stats are: I can think of two errors that load to goals just against Cheltenham.

1 Like

Yeah, and it’s where an error occurs in phases of play - or positioning.

I see Joey Barton has just been announced as the new manager of Bristol Rovers! :crazy_face:

1 Like