L 1-0 vs Harrogate Town (H) - League Two - Sat 11th Nov, 3pm

Its everyones. From the top right down to the goalkeeper.

Sadler is purely working with the players he was given. I think the fact he clearly doesnt fancy DJ proves that.

If you ask me its more of a mess than when we had Fullarton. Which is a remarkable feat.

8 Likes

Of which he had the benefit of being around a number in a coaching capacity last season so has insider knowledge that another manager coming in wouldn’t have had. I wouldn’t say that advantage is coming to the fore much at present.

1 Like

Agreed.

IF the club is going rookie he needs help with players, we signed a squad purely for 532. He is hamstrung in that aspect as we had so many injuries hes forced to play another way. Add into that they didn’t give him a proper RWB. We got lucky with draper as simple as that.

A word also on McEntee. Despite trying his best - if he’s a midfielder - then I am a Space Gazelle called Brian.

Completely and utterly out of his depth. Again, not his fault - he’s been out there for some god forsaken reason.

A word on Liam Gordon… some fantastic runs… but yet again zero end product when he gets into those positions. That must improve or else he will be stuck in league two.

Playing Comley and Stirk as the 8s/10s was also Barmy. Why? I would have had Ronan in from the start if I’d have known he’d have had McEntee sitting and Stirk/Comley being in advanced positions. Absolutely pointless.

DJT’s hold up play was really really poor. He should never have been signed - waste of money and a total lack of ambition. The fact Sadler has started him over DJ is ridiculous.

1 up front at home. I’m sorry, but it’s so very very negative. We even still had just DJ up top when we were 1-0 down! Why?! He could have put Knowles up there with DJ - or even Hutch. At least some support.

What else? David Okagbue is very very weak on the ball, and too slow to release. He loves a channel hoof.

Mistakes are creeping into Daniels game.

Foulkes looked very raw, timid and miles off.

Evans should be dropped.

Hutch is wasted wide left - especially if we are having him come inside and play inside to Comley/McEntee and today, DJT. Pointless.

All in all, a really depressing performance.

10 Likes

Tastes like pork from my recollection of 35 years ago.

1 Like

You wouldn’t know it from Sadler’s WM press conference :grin: everything is fine according to him, DJT was brilliant and we have nothing to worry about. Onto the next one.

3 Likes

Do you have your season by season graph? :smile:

Anyone have a link to the WM presser ?

Only got access to a mobile this evening and can’t update it unfortunately. We’re rapidly reaching 2 points a game to reach the playoffs which I think the most optimistic of fans know we’re not capable of at the moment. Season could be over very quickly as this rate.

4 Likes

There are managers who get reactions

Mat Sadler is not one of them

The FA Cup is pretty big for us now. Getting to the 3rd round will at least keep the season alive a bit longer. I’m not taking that for granted either, it will be a tricky game.

I will be happy if we can get 3 points v Forest Green, I don’t want to start having to look over our shoulder.

1 Like

Who are these managers you speak of….that would come and manage in league two….

I think Sadlers proved already that he can get a reaction from the players……Gillingham was after Sutton wasn’t it? Crewe was after Wrexham? Bradford was after Wimbledon and Swindon?

Seems to me he’s pretty good at it and that the players clearly respect him and want to play for him.

We’ve just had close on 60 efforts on goal in the last 180 minutes of football….

A work in progress in terms of our execution of the finish (from all areas and several players) but the framework for getting there and entering the final third / penalty area can’t be blamed that’s for sure.

I just think today we have to accept it for what it was. A horrible dirty nasty side that did what they’ve done several times….come for a point and nicked 3……overall we played pretty well and dominated the game. A stereotypical smash and grab.

If we are to blame for anything it’s probably thinking if we’re patient it will come rather than just going another gear and forcing it a bit……

4 Likes

A very undeserved defeat today. You get these games occasionally where the ball will just not run for the team in the box. I felt sorry for Evans who made a poor mistake for their goal.
Despite the line up I thought we controlled most of the game and I thought Comley played very well. We missed Draper and Tierney and if they had been fit I think we would have won. Very important that if they are recalled in January replacements are brought in.

7 Likes

Oh, he got one. Or many. Unfortunately not on the pitch, but on forum boards on the net. hard to tell if it counts.

Massively frustrating today. We weren’t brilliant by any stretch today but in my opinion we did enough and should have come away with the win. The old cliche strikes true though where if you can’t win the game, then don’t lose it. The trouble is, when you’ve got a keeper who constantly gets beat at his near post then you’ve always got a chance of throwing the game away.

Some finger pointing needs to go Sadlers’ way. We played some decent stuff around the edge of the box when we could get it up there but that was far too infrequent. DJT was poor, no doubt, but for me DJ should have come on alongside side him rather than instead of. The changes Sadler makes are always like for like. He never changes the shape or formation, just the personnel. A two strikers would have given Harrogate something different to think about rather than a variation of the same

2 Likes

Knowles your MOTM then?

Again, why do fans keep saying who who who who

Use Walsall FC as a yard stick

Ray Graydon WHO
Richard Money WHO
Jan Soreson WHO
Etc (Jan for the cups)

Then look at the likes of Steve Evans went straight in at Stevenage. The current managers of Morecambe and Barrow are getting more out of their players.

If your full time job was football, and your area of professional knowledge was football you’d be well placed to make judgements.

Not appoint the bloke who picked the cones up for the last failed manager. And when he needs a coach get an ex striker whose coaching career is Alvechurch FAIL, Walsall Wood FAIL, Crawley CHAOS.

1 Like

DD, Okagbue and Knowles had decent games and Gordon was deserving of his motm. Stirk did ok too.
I find it bizarre that the manager considers DJT to start ahead of Johnson is the right option.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and mine is that two average teams bored me and the icing on the cake was the absolute howler that Evans gifted Harrogate thus handing a victory to them when in reality neither team truly deserved it.

1 Like

Two loan players, one of whom will probably be gone in January

Both of them could be gone hence my comment about replacements!!!

1 Like

The wine has overtaken my reading skills😀

5 Likes