L 2-1 vs Bradford City (A) - League Two - Sat 3rd Sept, 3pm

We need 3 players in particular to start earning their bloody wages. Shout out to

Douglas James Taylor
Issac Hutchinson
Andy Williams

How many of the players who came this season were chosen by Flynn and how many were chosen by Pomlett?

I say that they were all chosen by Flynn.

el_nombre says they were all chosen by Pomlett.

Who is right?

Nope, 100 percent of them were ā€œchosen by Flynnā€. Just like 100 percent of the ones that didnā€™t come here were ā€œchosen by Flynnā€ too. Saying you want something, and deciding to buy it are completely different things.

I never thought that I would have to explain that to somebody but here we are.

1 Like

I am struggling to understand your point. Perhaps you can help me.

Do you think that there are players who Flynn decided he wanted, and were affordable within the budget he had been allocated, who were vetoed by Pomlett?

Or are you talking about players who Flynn would have liked to sign but were not affordable within the budget he had been allocated? Is that what you mean by Pomlett deciding not to employ them?

Chosen by Flynn but heavily dictated to by the budget. Over to you Boycott. Not so much Pomlett.

Usually probably at least player 4 or 5 down the list of targets

There could be any number of scenarios!

Flynn says he wants a player, the board offer him a deal, he accepts.

Flynn says he wants a player, the board offer a deal, the player declines, the board are unwilling to increase it.

Flynn wants a player, the board say they are not willing to spend the money full stop.

Flynn wants a player, the board offer a deal, but the player just chooses to go elsewhere.

Flynn wants a player, the board tell him thereā€™s no more room in the budget.

But in each of those scenarios, and in any of the others, Flynn isnā€™t the decision maker. It really is that simple.

2 Likes

Agree with u

1 Like

Unless you are Man City or Chelsea pretty much every player is dictated by a clubs budget. I would argue the speed with which much of our transfer business was done the vast majority of signings were at or near the top of Flynnā€™s targets.

Flynn didnā€™t get a lot of his first choice options, my guess is thatā€™s his real frustration.

He probably as a manger looks at his squad and struggles to get excited no different to us fans.

Now you can blame him for this but just like any other manager he has to balance a very tight budget.

BUT he really needs to snap out of this mood , itā€™s not good for both the fans and the players.

1 Like

And if those three started earning their wages weā€™d be where?

Thatā€™s a very odd thing to say to be honest.

DJT was only ever here to be a back up 3/4th choice striker and if he chips in with 3/4 goals and 10/15 games Iā€™d imagine MF will see that as success.

Andy Williams is here as a support striker. I donā€™t consider for a second anyone thought he was going to be the main man or get 20 goals. Heā€™ll do the donkey work to allow others to flourish, heā€™ll play 50/60% of the games many from the bench, heā€™ll chip in with a few goals and a few assists and take the weight off the main striker when he needs a break or is injured. With a little bit of luck v Charlton we could be having a very different opinion on Williams right now.

Isaac Hutchinson? The 22 year old midfielder whoā€™s in the top 10 in the division for attacking contributions, 4th in the division for chances created in open play, 9th in the division for average ball carrying distance? Heā€™s also TOP of the Walsall charts for all the above as well as having highest pass completion in the squad.

If you think any of those players are under performing or arenā€™t very good thatā€™s entirely your gift, but i donā€™t think you anyone else can say theyā€™re under performing due to lack of effort which is what ā€œneed to start earning their wagesā€ implies.

Nope.

The clubs that actually got the players did that. Nothing new, it has been like that for years.

I agree no point sulking now though, it is what it is.

7 Likes

So you think that Flynn is lying to us when he says that he has been given a budget?

So you think that what really happens is that after deciding on a player he would like, Flynn has really got no idea at all whether or not he is going to be allowed to join the club.

So you think that because Pomlett and Boycott have not allocated Flynn a budget they themselves have to assess each prospective playerā€™s qualities against the needs of our team and then decide how much a player is worth, and how much to offer him in wages before he can come here.

1 Like

No?! Where on earth have I said that? :joy: just because you are given a budget that doesnā€™t mean you have final say on literally everything you spend within it! Have you actually ever worked in a business before? :joy: What business entrusts an employee, even a manager, to spend literally millions in their name without at least signing off on it, if not negotiating the deals themselves?

Thereā€™s a lot of ā€œSo you think ā€¦ā€ bollocks in your post when I have just told you exactly how I think it works.

So we are slowly making progress. Perhaps we can finally agree.

We both agree that Flynn has a budget, and that he alone decides which players he wants to bring to the club.

We both agree that when he has made that decision he tells Pomlett who gets Gamble or others to sort out the paperwork.

We both agree that Pomlett never vetoes any choices made by Flynn that can be paid for out of the budget, leaving all the responsibility for the spending of the budget to Flynn.

Thank goodness for that.

Like everyone in life Flynn has to work within a budget which is given to him by the Board. The budget limits who you can buy and for how much so the Board and their attitudes are key. I would expect that Flynn and some Board members are in contact numerous times a day as the transfer window nears its close.

I have said before that I hope that the longer the new crowd are here the less they will have to rely on existing Board members for input and eventually those existing Board members will leave the club. This will naturally take time.

UP THE SADDLERS

ā€¦ WHAT?! :joy: No mate, youā€™ve been talking utter shite for the last hour. You canā€™t just say glad you finally agree, when I patently donā€™t! :joy:

It really is this simple. No "So you think ā€¦ " and then something I havenā€™t said responses please. Itā€™s all there in black and white and obvious to anyone with any concept of what working within a budget actually means.

Donā€™t know where you get all those stats from on Issac Hutchinson. It certainly isnā€™t translating into him looking a decent player on the pitch. Heā€™s been absolutely crap apart from his Hartlepool performance. Didnā€™t Bags 10 say that by his own self admission heā€™s been really poor

Sorry, I really thought that we were in full agreement.

Pehaps you could help me by letting me know which of these statements you do not agree with:

• Flynn has a budget to spend on the playing staff.
  • Flynn alone decides which players come here
  • Flynn tells Pomlett which players he wants
  • Pomlett and Gamble do the paperwork
  • Pomlett has never vetoed a player who Flynn wanted who could be afforded within the budget.

You keep saying we disagree, but as far as I can tell we are in perfect harmony.

:joy: properly bizarre.

Yes, but not unchecked.

Nope. He decides which ones he wants to come here. Whether they do or not is not up to him.

Obviously.

If by ā€œpaperworkā€, you mean literally broker the deal, offer a contract, agree a fee, or not depending on the price and so on then sure. In other words the decision making.

Donā€™t know, and neither do you.

Iā€™m starting to understand why some fans are so critical of the managers and fail to ask any critical questions of the board. They genuinely believe the playing budget is spent like being given a tenner out of petty cash to get your lunch :joy:

Too early in the season to be miserable, give me at least till October! Walsall win 2-1, Williams and DJ. UTS

1 Like