Matt Taylor: Walsall having to protect Devante Rodney

Classic Walsall.

JF; I’ve signed us a new player Leigh, he reminds me a lot of Rory Holden.
LP; You mean he’s skillful and can make an impact and turn a game in our favour.
JF; No, he’s injured.
LP; Oh Jamie, you are a card, keep up the good work.

25 Likes

I questioned the due diligence on the Monthe issue, this pretty much confirms that we don’t do any.
Sounds like the whispers on the failed medical were probably true, wouldn’t bet against us saying to his previous club that we would still take him at a reduced fee and probably reduced wage to him for the rest of this season.
Just hope the is a relegation clause on all salaries as we may just need it based on this gross incompetence flying around the club.

2 Likes

Walsall gonna Walsall

2 Likes

You just couldn’t make this stuff up!!! So here may or may not play tomorrow, and no doubt when he does actually make his debut he will then be out for the following 4 weeks with a reoccurrence of his injury!!! Oh well, at least he can keep Conor company on the treatment table!!!

I’ve not yet seen this mentioned but apologies if it has been.

The point of a medical is not to ensure a player is 100% match fit, the point of a medical is to ensure the player is in the condition described by the selling club, doesnt have hidden injuries and isnt showing signs of any potential long-term problems.
Its not unheard of to pay a fee for an injured player if you believe they have value longer-term.

Of course, the debate is open as to whether ‘longer-term’ is what we need right now and I’d probably be inclined to agree we need(ed) shorter term. But buying an injured player isnt evidence of a process failure.

6 Likes

Nothing will beat Osadabe going off injured after tripping over ffs, the almighty god ditched him that day.

9 Likes

I would very much doubt that thought entered their head at the time, and I doubt relegation is even in their thoughts now given the ‘exceptionally talented squad’ , ‘giving it a good go’ , ‘top 10 budget’ , ‘Mansfield-like winning run is just around the corner’ etc etc nonsense they keep coming out with.

Pompom couldn’t afford the appearance fees

The depth to which the incompetence plummets is staggering. The worst part is none of us are surprised :joy:

This whole ‘new coaching structure’ is a mirror image of the exciting new ‘ticketing structure’. Launched with zero due diligence, care, training, product testing, and test of concept. Bang it in, hope it works and if it doesn’t we still give ourselves a good pat on the back while hiding away as it kicks off. Hey, at least we tried! This Pomlett era is an absolute disaster that we will be fortunate to walk away from with our league status.

6 Likes

Cheers Dan!

3 Likes

I mean, we were all asking the club to replace Holden! :joy: :ambulance:

1 Like

Problem with this is he hasn’t played any competitive football for the best of 3 months. We will throw him back in on a cold night at Scunthorpe and he will pull a hamstring or something and he will be out for the season :see_no_evil:

He’ll fit right in :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Ben Foster was on his podcast talking to (I think) ex Arsenal head phsyio and he was clearly annoyed at what people think medicals are and how they work.

he was is saying

A medical is not if he’s fit to play yesterday, today or tomorrow, its an insurance medical for the whole period of the contract and longer, any possible degeneration of the knee’s in 2years time etc

4 Likes

We are that basket case club.

Clubs around us signed players ready to come in and make and impact. We signed an injured player with no match fitness.

He could be good over time granted but we need something now!

1 Like

100%

See my post

I see the o/p and thread just as another branch to hit LP with, we have enough, dont need another one

If he’s signed a player, irrelevant of the medical, that can’t help us immediately, considering the players we’ve lost he’s absolutely f***ed up again.

8 Likes

:joy: quality and a post that will certainly be on my short list for a post of the year gong.

2 Likes

Just looked at our DoF’s Wiki entry. There is absolutely nothing on that blokes CV that remotely suggests that he was the right person to take on and be entrusted with the high level job at Bescot.
Ditto, McDonald (or MugDonald as he is known at the Seaside).

It would be really interesting to know how Walsall go about searching for their managerial appointments. Do they use contacts in the game, or go to head-hunters? Whatever they do, it’s not working and hasn’t for years.

3 Likes