Matt Taylor

If he does well there …. Just throws more weight behind the lack of football structure here and how decent managers fail

The fact he has landed another job shows he’s a decent bloke.

1 Like

i think ive put somewhere on another thread, but I have a couple of equantiances that have inteacted with the club on potential loans from villa to us in the past and the way that they run is always lauded as a joke of a club. Simple things like… dont answer the phone; if they call back weeks after; really fuzzy thinking.

We said the same “if this doesnt work its the board” with Flynn and see where we are. We’re a club run by out of touch tossers. The yanks need to know that from a fans perspective, they can bring the off the pitch experience up to a 10… great merch, brilliant food and drink, generate a great amtosphere… but if the onfield perfromances/ results dont come, the fans will turn!

Yes. By some distance in my opinion. That smile is a thing of beauty.

How can you disrespect Frank Sibley?

What’s happened to Clarke?

I have no idea who that is sorry x

He was our manager in 1979 for a short time, so you do have to be of a certain vintage to remember him.

The only good thing Sibley did was to preside over the relegation in 78/79 that heralded the return of a certain Alan Buckley to return as player manager and the rest is history. He replaced Alan Ashman who had a 30% win record and proceeded to win 2 out of 19 at 10%. We might have stayed up if Ashman had stayed and who knows if the Buckley years would have come to fruition. So a begrudging thank you to the worst manager in my time.

1 Like

Relegated with 32 points. 4 more wins based on Ashman’s results would be 40 points level with Chesterfield. Our final gd was -15 compared with their -14 but that would have been overcome with the extra wins.

Sibley’s Barnet was more impressive but offset by the signing of one of the poorest players I ever saw in a Walsall shirt. Steve Jones from his former club QPR. If it’s true he somehow got Mr Miser Wheldon to fork out about £30k.

3 Likes

I think 30 or 40 thousand was the sum mentioned at the time. He was dreadful for us. We sold him on to Wimbledon at the end of the season, no idea how much for though.

It will be interesting to see how well Mr. Taylor manages without the constraints of Fullerton breathing down his neck.
I never thought for a moment, when he managed Walsall, that they were Taylor’s players, but heavily influenced by Fullerton…how on earth can you manage a football club with that type of interference?
‘I felt a little sorry for Matt if I’m being honest, and wish him well.

It wasn’t his job to manage the football club. He was the first team coach.

1 Like

£30k (that’s nearly £200,000 in today’s money) for someone who never actually made an appearance for QPR. With the risk of starting the Hayden White thread again, Jones made White look like Rico Henry.

1 Like

[quote=“Belphegor, post:53, topic:6636, full:true”]

It wasn’t his job to manage the football club. He was the first team coach.

Splitting hairs aren’t you? First team coach/ manager, same thing to me.
For all intents and purposes he was the manager!

It’s not splitting hairs. It’s the way the club was set up, and is again now.
It’s a clear distinction.

3 Likes

Being an absentee armchair supporter these days Jones along with Grsham Chadwick always come to mind when the current generation go on about the worst ever players.

1 Like

Do you remember Leedham as well? He was signed the same time as Chadwick I think. They were 2 of the worst ever!

1 Like

Yes tnought about including him as well.

1 Like

I remember them well. Desperate times.

1 Like