Morecambe (H) - Sat 1st May, 3pm

Yes mate, before Beechdale broke away from Walsall council and went to a TMO, i worked at his moms servicing her gas fires, and i only found out because she had pictures of him all over the walls :smile:
A bit like the time i worked at shakey’s moms in Streetly, i kept looking at this portrait on the wall over the fire thinking “i know him from somewhere?” :laughing:

3 Likes

Noddy was born up Caldmore Green .

He used to be a roadie for an early band of Robert Plants. Although he’s from Walsall he’s often said in the media to be from Wolverhampton, whereas, of course, the true Wolverhampton celebrity was the Ring Road Tramp.
I always liked Nod, and the band made some great music. For such big stars they always seemed totally ordinary blokes, even when Super Yob was driving round in his Rolls Royce, and none of them seemed to be a c**t, which is nice.

3 Likes

I’m surprised there’s only one ring rd tramp the place has got to be full of them

3 Likes

Wolverhampton Town Centre was a rare old place back in the 70s and 80s, there were a lot of characters knocking around, such as the speed-walking cowboy who had his radio permanently held to his ear. I haven’t been that much in the last 30 years so can’t comment.

1 Like

Yes I remember the fast walking cowboy with his radio Special memory and he was Not on drugs…Was his name something like Ezra or Esrah ?.

2 Likes

Think it may be coincidence ? I remember them being Ambrose Slade when I was a nipper

Just had a gander @ Wikipedia and apparently Ambrose Slade comes from their manager’s secretary’s name for her Handbag ( Ambrose) and her Shoes ( Slade )

1 Like

Ezra was the black preacher who used to stand on a crate (or something like that) in Dudley Street, or opposite Beatties.
If I ever knew the cowboys name I’ve forgotten it.

There you go then, i will tell him he is full of ■■■■ when we have another viewing on sunday :joy:
The bit about my brother in law was true though :grin:

You are right now you have posted this I remember the Preacher and that’s were I got the name Ezra from, my memory ain’t what it was back in the day. Did he wear a bowler hat ?. The Cowboy was a younger white boy I think. Not been into the "city of Wolverhampton " for years was not a city in my days.

Maybe Wikipedia could be wrong ?

People change things on there thinking its a joke, sounds a bit far fetched calling your Handbag, Ambrose and your Shoes, Slade to be fair

1 Like

Ezra wore a hat, and always a dark suit when I saw him. Looked very smart and I think he was short, can’t have been much more than five feet. I’m not sure about his hat, it might have been a trilby, but he probably had more than one, so could have had a bowler.

He might have been short and not sure of his hats but he had a voice that’s for sure. Could do with his voice down Bescot when we start again

1 Like

According to Dave Hill’s autobiography, she had a purse called Ambrose and a mirror called Slade. I’d check Noddy’s book but it seems to have disappeared from the selection I usually keep next to the bog.

1 Like

Harrogate 2-0 up after 12 mins

1 Like

15th place Harrogate smashing 2nd place Cambridge 3-0, this league had to be the most bonkers league I’ve ever known us to be in.There’s literally nothing between any of us bar the bottom 2 this season.

1 Like

4-2 now :laughing:

1 Like

There are guys about who would pay literally thousands for a vinyl copy of the two LP’s mentioned in that piece!
I have all of my LP’s stored, and have been offered quite substantial sums for the strangest, such as ‘Best of Osibisa’ (1972), ‘Grace Jones Portfolio’ (1977), ‘Afrorock Assagai’ (1971)…weird aye it!
As for the match I’m still sticking with a 0-2 defeat, they need the win, our lot are working out their next move with their agents rather than actually playing the game.

I want a refund tonight though as Rory Gaffney is playing against them for Shamrock Euros :money_mouth_face:

Harrogate winning half time, makes everything on the line for Morecambe tomorrow, interesting.