New Floodlights

@Sadsfan if you take a look a bit more closely they’re tilted at all sorts of angles probably underpinned by some serious science.

I remember when we moved to Bescot that the floodlights were like at the old Wembley on the roof

Interesting. It has been commented on many times that we have a poor midweek record, perhaps this is part of the reason (at home at least)

That argument is undermined by last season though where we actually started getting decent results in late night games for a change… and the floodlights hadn’t yet been changed.

1 Like

Yes, maybe. There’s lots of variables at play when comparing across seasons.

For much of the season the floodlights are used for Saturday matches, for the second half at least and we occasionally win those games. I’d say our poor record in recent seasons is explained by us having too many poor players and some poor managers, and thus we are often a poor team. I’m not sure there’s much more to it. We’ve just been a bit crap. :grin:

5 Likes

It started in 1888 and has been the same ever since!!:joy:

2 Likes

Hardly. Weve been here for 30 odd years and had some great times under the so called dim lights

The midweek kerfuffles you’re probably referring to was because we were shit. Full stop.

PS Why are the lights considered dim? Were they dim from the outset? Has lighting improved over the years? Did we not change the bulbs? Had they become dirty over the years?

Were they considered ok previously? If so, having a poor midweek run over the last few years cant be as a result of the floodlights! Clearly the teams who beat us managed quite well. Did they wear miners helmets?

1 Like

Fair enough, it’s just there was a thread about it earlier in the season Tuesday night games

And even if we have been poor generally, it doesn’t explain why we are even worse midweek.

@JumboTrudgeon makes the point that floodlights are on most Saturdays, but it’s still a different light to the midweek darkness.

Ultimately all I care about is having better midweek games this season and hopefully these new floodlights will help with that.

I don’t know. I note @bags10 said the lights were too bright!, so perhaps it is more complicated than just the luminosity but the angle of the lights too

So many great games under the lights. Just a few examples, but so many more.

1-0 win over Southampton (Deano’s first season) when we were absolutely battered by a team that were head and shoulders above us.
1-0 win v Dagenham in the same season. Shit arrendance for a game that ultimately kept us up.
0-0 v Preston in the JPT - say no more

For us older buggas

3-2 Win v Man Utd
4-3 win v Bristol Rovers
2-0 win v Preston (Bobby Charlton) 74-75
6-0 v Brian Clough’s Brighton in 1974

Loads more, and all of the above in the lower divisions.

2 Likes

Ooh, yes, that was a good 'un.

A couple more from olden days, the 5-0 win over Swindon in '81, what an amazing game.
And the 2-1 win over Salop in 1983 and that goal by Gary Childs. Next stop, Highbury.

One from the Bescot years, a 3-2 win over Crewe in 1996 after they had ripped us apart for 20 minutes and gone two up.

4 Likes

Loved 85-86 season…beating cardiff 6-3, PNE 7-3 in the cup and beating League leaders Reading 6-0. Buck’s team was fantastic :clap::heart:

3 Likes

How about the Andy Watson Forest game?

8 Likes

The Southampton game was a great night, they were a very good team at our level .
Unfortunately for them not quite as good as Jon Mackem on the night.
Probably one of the best centre forward displays I’ve seen for WFC.

1 Like

That was a great game, even the sky cameraman was dancing when we scored the winner,

One of my best ever games ive seen.

How about beating the Blues 5-0 on a Tuesday evening in 88.
Also the League cup run of 1997…
beating Forest & then Sheff Utd … mmm Andy Watson

3 Likes

2-1 Shef Wednesday. Boxing day 2011, has to be one of the best!

5 Likes

The ball hit the ref in the build up to Wednesday’s goal. Game would be stopped today, and possibly that goal would never have been scored.

I guess Walsall would have settled for a 0-0 draw🤔

1 Like

Love the scenes in the last goal and the Wednesday fans holding each other back! Oh Claude.

2 Likes

I remember thinking “great, we’ve rescued a point” when we equalised. :laughing:
Smith notched the winner, commentator credits it to Gnapka.