New footage on Youtube

I was 35…yes a long time ago.I usually stood under cover on that side of the ground with a large group of friends but for some reason that day I was much further forward.I think I may have taken a youngster with me or another friend but if you were close you would have heard me giving the referee an earful!!!

Thought I may as well…

I’ve always thought the official attendance of 9,251 was an underestimate. We could still have won the league that day if results had gone for us elsewhere and we had won ( I think!). They had 4k tops which meant just over 5k of us. Can’t see it somehow.

The match programme was issued with a purple cardboard cover as there was a printers strike at the time. Wish I’d kept mine.

1 Like

I agree on the crowd. It was packed. Felt more 12,000.

We should have won the league that season. Players on the beach as soon as we were up. That poor end of season continued into the next.

There was a massive brawl outside the street end when a coach load of Newport fans rocked up, and as a result we were all lined up by the police to be identified by the Newport fans.
And to a man every single one of them refused :wink:
We ended up shaking their hands :grin:

1 Like

Peter Skipper with the winner if I remember rightly.

1 Like

This recent upload is one for people who maybe have trouble sleeping or who miss Fellows Park that much that they would happily sit through two hours of footage of an F A Cup First Round Replay.

I won’t be a Jonah and spoil it by penning the score.

1 Like

Havn’t watched it yet but wasn’t that one of those awful games reffed by Kelvin Morton?

I’m not sure. I remember him against Blackpool when he got all pen and red card happy and this bloke has some similarly quirky attributes.

Just had a quick look, looks like him. What a loon he was :joy:

As soon as he was announced as ref I’m sure the players used to just give up trying, because basically it didn’t matter what they did - he was going to have the final say. Never saw a decent game with him as ref. It was just a lottery of random red-cards and penalties.

1 Like

Looks a decent crowd. The FA Cup wasn’t such a poor relation back then.

I definitely wondered round to the street end second half that evening.

I also went to the next round away at Gillingham which was the game that Freddy infamously put a house window through with a clearance. The highlight of the day other than rattling a perimeter gate every time a steward turned to look at the match (very small things entertaining a very small mind).

1 Like

I was looking for film of THAT Trevor Benjamin goal at Notts County, can’t find it. Anyone any ideas?

2 Likes

5,162 for the replay at FP, the crowd for the League game a few months later as we ran-in towards promotion was 4,479.

The season before we had played Chesterfield in Round One, in front of 5,417 (League crowd 4,391) and then Port Vale before an attendance of 7,033 (League crowd 5,696).

When we lost at Home to non-League Yeovil in 1960 the crowd was 11,887. Blimey.

2 Likes

I’ve previously been trying to find this and had no joy. Would love to see it again…

1 Like

No idea, but I would like to see it from behind the goal again as that is the view we all had on the day

I’m not sure any exists, I’ve been looking for years

I have found footage of the Notts goals on an old hdd player but not sure how to upload a video onto this site :thinking:

I hope you can pal :crossed_fingers:

Upload to YouTube, link to there is easiest.

Sorry about the quality, I have had to film it on my phone for now to upload it😬

12 Likes