Next Manager?

And that just about sums DK up…’Our plan today was to put balls into the box so Andy Cook can score’

Do you not think that Coventry might have figured that out before the game ( and the other 22 League 1 teams) Seriously this is ‘management by numbers’

According to e and s, Keates says he is still the right man for the job.

Rowett is on gardening leave but if he was to take the job, I would happily be his number two, kit man and sponge man. To be fair, some of the players need to be reminded how dreadful they are. Pick an eleven and stick with it (barring injuries and suspensions + form) until the end of the season.

We are talking League one so simple, clear instructions are necessary.

Michael Flynn is Newport born and bred. Getting Newport promoted from league 2 would be bigger pull than keeping Walsall in league 1 I reckon especially on similar budgets.

1 Like

We need Fireman Sam in @ 08:00 on Monday morning to sort this shower of s***e out

Sorry Dean, you tried, but we can’t afford the gamble on you any more

Alardyce won’t come cheap but its boom or bust time, get rid of all the rest of the "backroom staff " also to pay for it Davies, Ward, Oakes, Barnett, Hill & Haynes.

Thats 7 wages saved with DK,

Offer him £ 150,000 in brown envelope if he keeps us up, that might tempt him

Dare I say both players were signed just in case the worst happened. At this moment in time you’d say their ability level would be closer to league 2 than league 1.

No idea on Norman but Scarr played 20 odd times for Wycombe who were automatically promoted which suggests he should be o.k at that level at least.

Team simply didn’t sign quality league 1 players in the window, Oteh today looked as ineffective as Gordon and Ferrier have done since November and this was guy signed to spark life back into the forward line, guy with his first senior loan in league football, it’s madness.

Meanwhile Joe Mason has been released by Wolves and is a free agent. Turned down Plymouth last week so probably got wage demands far beyond what Walsall can provide but would ask the question at least.

2 Likes

Joe Mason is quality

Adam Chambers is contracted until the end of the season and has been watching this mess unfold.
We are down anyway so give him a chance until the end of the season and see where it takes us.
None if the names already mentioned would touch us with a barge poll.

3 Likes

Hope this is sarcastic :joy:

More chance of getting the Son of Sam.

Its true :wink:

Paul Hurst or Steve cotterill

If we go down next season and we lose even 350 off the crowd @ 22 home games @ £18 a head it will cost us best part of £140k loss in revenue excluding anything we make off catering/beer sales/programmes for the 350 lost

Not suggesting permanent manager. Just a fireman to keep us in L1 till the end of the season.

At least then we will know where we will be next season, we will know how much budget to play with and we might have a chance of finding someone decent.

At the moment we got zero chance of anyone who will touch the poisoned chalice, other than leave it with Keates and hope

1 Like
  1. Allardyce will demand a few million, not thousands.
  2. He will never manage in League 1.
  3. Paying off Keates and all the backroom staff wont be cheap. We’re still paying Whitney remember.

I’m genuinely baffled his name is being mentioned to be honest.

7 Likes

No, I think these players need exactly the opposite actually. I think they need a manager who talks them up and gives them belief. Today was really the final straw, he’s made it abundantly clear that some of those in the squad who he needs to perform are absolutely not wanted by him. If your boss said that, would you be motivated? That was desperate and, in retrospect, smacks of a manager who knows he’s a goner and is putting in his excuses ready for his next job interview. I lost a lot of respect for him today with that post match interview.

1 Like

Can see 1k dropping no problem if 4k is average attendance this season.

Fair to say there are no travelling supports that come close to likes of Sunderland and Pompey in league 2 so you will be losing big away supports.

No chance the club can get away with Cat A in that league so scrapping that will be at least one good thing to come out of relegation.

1 Like

With respect - what we need is irrelevant because the only factor is what JB will be prepared to pay so almost all of the names being banded around on here are pointless…

You’re probably right but I think we should recognise the situation we’re in and, in his own very bizarre way, bonser does care how the team is doing. He clearly has cognitive dissonance about the effect his financial dealings have on our ability to compete but he wants the team to do well. He’ll know we’re in the last chance saloon this season and so I could see money being splashed out on a short term “keep us up” appointment potentially.

Mind you, I could equally see him appointing chambers. Considering how influential he’s been around the club these last few seasons, he’s very, very quiet right now and I wonder whether he’s distancing himself from the current regime a bit?

I would also have thought that, through his position in the club, chambers will have earned a fair bit of respect from some of the players here last season and from management and will have the ear of both.

I have just been in a dark place and thought about this in a Bonser mindset and think he will back Keates for another few weeks for say the Bradford, Burton and Fleetwood games.

He has nothing to lose as Keates is contracted and Dean, knowing his character, might, out of pride resign, and he wont need to pay him off.

I think Bonser has an ace already up his sleeve in John Ward. He is already under contract and being paid and he did step into the breach when Dean Smith left and before the O’Dismal era.

The 3 games that he managed was won 1 and drawn 2,

/end/bonsermode///

Why would Keates resign? Would you if you had a contract to pay you regardless for another 2 years?

1 Like