Old photos of Fellows Park

A few more

8 Likes

I’ve never seen these shots before.
They are absolutely fantastic.

The club should be making use of these sorts of pictures.
What they’ve done in the tunnel is dead right and is a good start.
There needs to be a rousing film made up to show before every kick off.
The fans need firing up like the players.

4 Likes

That lone Saddler is a brave chap ( top right). Went with Stuart Bathurst school to the semi and had to stand on the Kop with our Liverpool supporting PE teacher. The away end noise and celebrations were just awesome. That game confirmed me as a Saddler having alternated between The Hawthorns and FP as a young lad.

2 Likes

16 Likes

Oh fantastic. I was asking on UTS some months ago if anyone had this.

Made my day seeing that, thank you!! :clap: :clap:

That one could have been made bespoke - 90 mins from a place in Europe, 90 seconds from a place in the police cells. !!

6 Likes

And i have done both :joy:

3 Likes

90 minutes in the cells, minimum.

1 Like

Great pictures. Maybe one or two could be used by the club in the new Bescot Bar? Would like to see things like this from some of our biggest games put in there.

If the SLO is on here maybe he could send those over to the club if it’s something they’re looking at doing.

3 Likes

That’s jogged my memory Paulus68 regarding the scouse PE teacher at Bathurst School can’t remember his surname off the top of my head but am I right in thinking his name was John!, anyway if it’s the same guy I’m thinking about he played in the same Saturday league team as me, we played in the Birmingham works league on Saturday afternoons, this was a very good standard where you mostly played on private pitches, unfortunately this guy was involved in that terrible mini bus crash on the Woodgreen Road that resulted in the death of 4 young lads from the school who were on their way to play a match, an absolute tragedy! The PE teacher escaped serious injury but could never come to terms with it and left the school and area not long after, I believe he became a policeman in Liverpool, sad memories but a really nice guy and decent footballer.

1 Like

That’s the guy MS. Farrel IIRC. Always told us he was a tidy player. It was his pal and fellow teacher Kieran Ruanne that died in the accident along with 4 lads from the fourth year football team. Im pretty sure it was the minibus we went to the Liverpool game in. Some good eventually came of that awful accident in that all new minibus seats had to be placed across the bus rather than perpendicular to the drivers seat. The club played a charity game against Luton to raise funds for the families ( lost 3-2 ??). :+1:

I left SB in 77. I knew the older brother of one of the deceased very well.

Very sad episode.

1 Like

Yes a truly awful accident I had family members connected to the school and it affected them all, I also knew the caretaker at the time, a guy named Eddie, he was in floods of tears for many days, as was the school, such a tragic loss of young lives.

1 Like

I used to play football and cricket on that stretch of land in front of the advertising hoarding - I lived in Richards House, in Burrowes Street which is just over the road. I remember that advert - nobody thought that in season 1983/84 we would actually be 90 minutes from a place in Europe. Great times!!

3 Likes

Working for walsall council i worked at burrows and richards house back in the 80’s 90’s untill it became a TMO i remember Reg Morris living in those flats opposite the old green lane police station, and watching police going in and out while hunting him.

1 Like

If only… would have loved this pair to have taken us to a major cup final in 83-4

7 Likes

Great memories indeed.
I was 10 and that night I switched from a Liverpool fan to a Walsall fan.
I just remember the atmosphere was incredible.
Even losing every window in the coach after the game didn’t spoil the mood

3 Likes

I have just siged up to the site and was interested to see your photos of Fellows Park. The one taken in 1936 is a little before my time but I can recognise the ground straight away. I was an Apprentice at Walsall between 1983 and 1985 with Buckley & Pendry the Management Team and the night the wall collapsed at the Railway End I was sat on the bench.

I had been on Walsall’s book since I was about 12/13 and in the school holidays would train witth the first team on the park behind the Railway End.

I still keep in touch with the Groundsman’s Brother Malcolm who up until recently was still attendeing The Bescot. I wonder if you have any colour photographs of Fellows Park that I could purchase.

2 Likes

Sounds like it was absolutely rocking that night

3 Likes

It was. A great night in some ways, but disappointing ultimately.

2 Likes

Wot? No flob?