Protest Saturday

It’s not quite as simple as that. I’ve lived away from home for 4 years whilst studying and will be moving to London in September to start working - I’ll be going on Saturday as it’s one of few opportunities for me to get to game. Atleast when we are in league 2 there’ll be a few Southern teams I’ll be able to easily travel to from central London

3 Likes

This isn’t me having a go …

But the simple fact is that anyone who financially contributes to the running of the club at the moment is unfortunately … Part of the Problem and Contributing to the problem.

There have been supporters groups who’ve protested in the past. They don’t work.

I suggest people show a bit of tough love and vote with their money !

1 Like

You are having a go.

It’s personal choice whether people want to go or not. And whatever they choose they shouldn’t be criticised for it.

Turn the tables and if those that do go criticised you for not going and you wouldn’t like it!

1 Like

Doing nothing will achieve nothing. Just not bothering to go won’t change anything other than the manager’s budget.

Which is perfectly legitimate if you use the other resource you are saving I.e time, to help enforce change. If there was a protest at every home game with the kind of leafleting we saw at Blackpool then I’d get it and would consider joining such an organised boycott. Similarly, if people stayed away from home games but attended away games again, I’d get it.

But after 25 years of the current ownership and structure, stopping going now, when it just so happens the playing side is at a really low ebb, just looks like less people wanting to watch a crap team - in other words the usual ebb and flow of attendances linked with fortunes on the pitch.

So use the time you are getting back to organise and campaign, state goals and aims then I’m up for understanding how a boycott could help. But not going and not doing anything just looks like self justification for finding something else to do on a Saturday because the football’s rubbish. Which is absolutely fine. We’re all free to spend our time as we wish. Just don’t pretend it is for some greater good.

8 Likes

Just to point out…

My initial post is about a protest about this relegation rather than any long term aims.

I just cannot sit there and politely clap or not say anything to this bunch of traitors.

The only thing that could possibly work is a vocal, relentless mob. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. No tea and biscuits, no dialogue - although it’s always worth trying this at first.

We need a mob present at home games including disrupting games with rent books being thrown, a mob at every Bonzo commercial event making those that go feel uncomfortable, a mob on local radio a mob contacting the papers. Anything less and the status quo remains. Its a straight choice - do that or do nothing.

4 Likes

@P.T you’ve got to deal in realism here.

1. it’s a business so you affect its cash flow you affect how it works

2. it really doesn’t warrant spending time on organising anything. The empty seats and complete lack of apathy will be the most poignant message they can have.

Stand and wave banners and they’ll think oh this lot care lets sack the manager and boost the early bird. They see that people just don’t care to the point they do other things - then you’ll see real change

Do not applaud those idiots on the pitch.

2 Likes

They have had our support all season, no more thank you.

1 Like

Sack the Board.

3 Likes

Agree absolutely.

I actually think the fans have been more than patient with this lot.

They need telling.

The only cash flow you’ll affect is the football side of the business.

The commercial side / The Venue / big advertising signs bring in more than enough money to cover the rent and keep that side running on its own.

And then you give Bonser and his yes men the perfect excuse that the budget has had to be cut due to fans not turning up.

2 Likes

I think to suggest that the playing squad as a whole are uncommited, apathetic or uneffected by this relegation is unfair, so to treat them with collective outrage is uncalled for.

Yes, there is a group of senior players within this squad that are arrogant, self-serving and show contempt for the fans. Their self-assurance despite chronic under-performance is representative of Walsall FC at large and they should have no further place at the club beyond the end of this attrocious season. They deserve any individual criticism they face.

However, there is a larger group of players who are simply not good enough to compete at this level, developing under difficult circumstances, or unable to raise the overall standard of the team. Their monetary value and salary expectations meet club budgets but not the financial outlay required for our (current) level in the game - but that’s not their fault.

I’ve no doubt this second group of players try their best, but they’re of an inadequete collective standard to be successful at this level, let alone capable of competing for a place in the League above. They are symptomatic of the club’s output - a bottom four budget accomodates bottom four players likely to finish in the bottom four.

Do the likes of Liam Kinsella, George Dobson, Liam Roberts or Joe Edwards really deserve to be booed from the pitch? For me, no.

I’d rather direct my disatisfaction at an owner and board that has consistently underfunded the first team, neglected youth development, sleep-walked into relegation and allowed their contempt for supporters to manifest itself, unchecked, in the first team.

21 Likes

What a bunch of old moaners we have become, we can’t even agree how to complain - we are getting what we deserve for doing nothing.

We should shout , sing, wave banners, invade the pitch, essentially show some passion - enough is enough

Bonser fc disgusts me and my family. I have been saying it for many years when people proclaimed the saviour, well run club ■■■■■■■■

We are an embarrassment - go Saturday and ■■■■■■■ hammer those ■■■■■ in charge, then never ever set foot in place until we see some change - well done Blackpool at least you had the balls

2 Likes

Pretty sure that Bonser won’t be there Saturday. More chance of Madeleine McCann appearing as mascot.

1 Like

We have to do something!

Its a ■■■■■■■ disgrace, we are absolute ■■■■

I will attend just to take part in any action, but as a fan base we have to approach it as one, and not have pockets here and there, we all need to be singing off the same hymn sheet and following the same plan

Its time to serious voice the issues, it has been brushed under the carpet by large amounts of our following for far too long

I can’t seriously see us getting out of this mess anytime soon, with this crop of players League 2 will be too much

4 Likes

Protests , actions that stop play, banners etc all work … well it has for other fan groups.

It’s something that’s never been attempted at Walsall, well I’m good numbers that is.

Speaking of having balls - if what folk are stating on here that Bonser won’t be there for that final home game in the season to witness that his methods of outdated, inadequate and personally financially motivated ownership strategy are finally laid bare…

Everything about the guy and his ownership should be put under close and detailed scrutiny and I appreciate it’s all been covered to death on here but my god this is a tale of woe for for use at protests, pre-events and in the press

I appreciate we all have an opinion in this respect but personally I’ve always felt that lower attendances will have zero affect on him - what will drive him out will be significantly more public humiliation and scrutiny of his methods and means…

Relegation should attract more local press coverage so this should be used as some sort of platform for action

1 Like

Problem is the local press do not run with it. Take Massi for instance , he should be all over this relegation and the reasons behind it but he won’t.

Radio WM are the same they just won’t go there in depth, and the national press won’t give it time of day.

Protests , stop games and being damn right ■■■■ bags is the only way to be heard.

6 Likes

What happened to the Luton Rotherham Bournemouth protest?

Tea and biscuits and that’s gone quiet again.