Proudest moment

Yes, the 4-2 win at Rotherham when Mark Rees destroyed them with his blistering pace. A great win, although I nearly got crushed trying to get out of Millmoor at the final whistle!

Scariest moment of all the matches I’ve been to. i fully expected to at least break a bone in the crush. Of course the police who pushed us down that alley were the same force who distinguished themselves at Hillsborough five years later.

And i had drunk a bottle of quantro to kill my pain due to me having a couple of wisdom teeth out, so i was hammered, all i remember is being knocked over every time we scored lol, and drinking a warm bottle of what i thought was white wine on the coach and it turning out to be pee, bloody mates :rofl:

3 Likes

Walsall 3 Oldham 2. To get promoted ahead of Man City, and Sjoke, and big spending Reading, Wigan, Preston, Burnley and all the rest. Only Fulham with their Premier League players and mossive budget finished above us. And all done playing the game the right way.

4 Likes

Our appearance at Wembley - my eyes sweat that day.

1 Like

That’s the one day I’ve managed to erase from my memory…the biggest let down ever…luckily me and the Mrs had a lovely weekend in London, otherwise it would have been a complete washout.

3 Likes

For me, it was more than the match. Yes that 90 minutes was a let down, even though it was against the strongest team in the competition.

The day was one of the best I have had as a Walsall fan.

2 Likes

I went with zero expectations, determined that the lengthy journey back would be worth it, so wasn’t disappointed.

I thought Bristol were worthy winners, so no complaints really.

1 Like

Actually, it was 3-1. Wasn’t it? Memory fade. Oh well. We won though. Pretty sure.

2 Likes

A minor classic but; being there when we ended a run of 16 straight league defeats by beating Sunderland 0 - 3 at Roker Park.

As Steve Millar sang “you know you have to go through hell before ya get to heaven”

3 Likes

Ye we were there for that, we stayed in Brighton for the weekend, had to park the car miles outside the ground and catch a bus lol.

i was there too, a girl who lived in horesham who i met on holiday went with me, she never been to a match before… had to tell her its not alwasy like that watching walsall… what a day that was in the sun.

Winning at home to Oldham to clinch promotion. Bescot was packed and buzzing, was so happy when Marshy scored one of our goals then final whistle pitch invasion.

Amazing afternoon.

1 Like

Cardiff wasn’t half bad either, minus one smashed mobile phone when Goodman scored

…sorry wrong thread

Ivy House :crazy_face:

1 Like

Blimey. You were there in 1933 when we beat the Arsenal 2 - 0 ! A-mazing. :open_mouth: That makes you, er, 105 years old.
I opt for Cardiff just 'cos I was there (less than an hour in the car :smiley:). The sorrow and the joy not to be beaten. Also had a good laugh: left a tad early - but not before the impromptu celebrations - to avoid the rush and was just in time to see a police horse bolt when the fireworks went off. :laughing: OK, not funny really. Really?

No I was born in 19… but I do remember Trevor Foster playing for the Leckie school team. My favourite moments include our promotions in 59/60 and 60/61 which included running on the pitch art Shrewsbury when we got into the second division. Those early games in that Division were crackers too Sunderland and Newcastle at home and derby away. Others have mentioned the other great times we have had and hopefully there may be more to come before my time of watching the Saddlers comes to an end.
As far as the Arsenal match is concerned my dad told me that my granddad was there and I certainly have a newspaper from that time.

went on the train with a load of bentley lads, we was in the crush getting out when some random guy started gobbing off, my mate with his flat cap on flew over about five rows of people and smacked the gobby git lol.tommy was his name, dad of our manager deano lol

1 Like

Further to what I said previously, another proudest moment, April 18, 1989, Watford 5-0 Walsall. Just 3 days after Hillsborough. I worked with a Tranmere fan who asked if I was going to the match. He knew a friend of a friend who’d died at Sheffield. He stood with me in the Rookery end in his Tranmere colours and was amazed at how many of my fellow Saddlers, maybe some of you who post on this forum, came up to him and spoke with him, sympathising and consoling and welcoming him as one of our own. Then when we spontaneiously started singing the Liverpool anthem, he was choked up. When we got back from the match he thanked me and said if he hadn’t gone he’d have given up on football, but that the Walsall fans had restored his faith in football again. The game and result were immaterial that night, from memory that was the day we were mathematically relegated, but I felt proud of what we as Walsall fans had acheived for my colleague. He was at Fellows Park with me just over a year later as we beat Tranmere 2-1, as we were relgated again.

4 Likes