Released Players/Transfer Rumours Thread

I believe that it may be after next Monday.

I’m interested who we will keep. I would get rid of some of the older pros like Sadler and Guthrie if possible.

It all hinges on how the EFL vote goes that day - if L2 is confirmed as over as expected then the R&R list will be published fairly soon after (expect them to tell the players concerned first before they tell us!), else they’ll need to have a word with anyone out of contract about extending until at least the season is completed and only make the announcement after that.

There have been some snippets about other clubs jumping the gun with their R&R lists, but I imagine it will be mainly their out of contract non-first teamers rather than anyone they might still need if we do have to play again at our level.

Retained list will be compiled as soon as the season is officially cancelled. They do have until June 23rd to finalise it however.

Since we haven’t had any transfer rumours for a few days, I thought I’d get the ball rolling again, based on Darrell Clarke’s desire to ‘add quality’ and the chairman’s reference to around 5 players:
1.) Greg Halford: great long throw; good height; excellent utility-player when fit (but has hardly played in 2 years).
2.) Jamie Ward: could ‘pick a pocket’ and ‘unlock the door’: has been linked with the club in the past and has links with the area. Could fill the problem ‘right-side’ position and would be an excellent mentor for Nolan. Also links with Maik Taylor (at N.Ireland)
3.) Will Buckley: an excellent player with loads of experience. However, injuries are a concern.
4.) Jack Rose (GK): has Midlands links and did nothing to suggest that he wouldn’t be a solid addition to next season’s squad. Affordable and good age.
5.) Rory Holden - for me he would be the standout signing (more than a striker) of the summer. Looked the ‘real deal’ when played in the middle of the park. Showed a brilliant attitude to win over the doubters. In my opinion, he is more valuable than Pring (who might hold back Cockerell-Mollett’s development).

If Bristol City decided to keep hold of Holden (or try him on loan at a league one club), I would go for Harry McKirdy (released from Carlisle). A bit of a **** but no one can question his ability. I fancy our gaffer to bring out the best from an ‘uncut diamond’ like this Jack Grealish wannabe…

If we had to sell a striker (Josh Gordon has attracted interest), I would be delighted to see us go for a big target man like Ollie Palmer from Crawley Town. I’ve seen enough from Adebayo to think that he could actually be a decent goalscorer if he had someone alongside him to bully the defenders. For me, I think that’s why Gaffney was originally brought in. Granted, it didn’t work but Clarke likes a big bruiser (e.g. Stefan Payne / Jonson Clarke-Harris).

2 Likes

Will be interesting if some of the premier clubs with loads of young players on their books decide to release a lot of them in effort to cut some costs from whats happening. Maybe a chance to get some real potential in.

1 Like

Joel Grant released from plymouth would be a cracking singning he wants to return back up north apparently

1 Like

So basically any club other than Truro!

3 Likes

Born in Acton. Apart from Crewe the furthest north he’s been is Watford. Coventry released Jordy. Any point?

I’d take Hiwula back - him, Gordon and McDonald is a decent front 3 at league 2 level, all interchangeable in those positions too but can’t see him dropping into league 2

2 Likes

Would Jordy Hiwula improve the squad? Definitely.
Would he want to drop down to League Two? Doubt it.
Can we pay his wages? Only if we sold Flash (in my view).

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Peterboro go after Gordon if they sell Ivan Toney (as expected) in the summer - Flash tore Posh to shreds at the back end of last season and even their chairman tweeted about how impressed he was and how the best team won that day.

As much as I love Gordon, I would not begrudge him a move to League One and if we could get a decent fee, I think it would help Clarke to strengthen the team in other areas.

The benefits of Jordy are:
1.) We know what he can do and he knows the club.
2.) Coming from Coventry City, he wouldn’t need to uproot too much.
3.) I think he would complement Adebayo and Lavery.
4.) He can play out wide as well as up top.
5.) He would probably score a hatful at League Two level.

Disadvantages:
1.) He would expect League One I think (someone like Shrewsbury, maybe).
2.) He would not be cheap.
3.) Do we have enough ‘physical presence’ in the squad at the moment? I still think that we are crying out for a big bruiser either in the middle of the park or up top.

2 Likes

I love Flash as a player and would hate to see him go from a selfish point of view but like you say, I think he’s more than capable at league 1, as proven by his last 10-12 games there a couple seasons ago

Let’s hope he stays with us and has a crack at promotion and gets to play in league 1 with us next season

Keeping the whole squad together is a major advantage we have next season so we should look to keep and build on that imo

2 Likes

I agree @mtt. The Saddlers fans have really taken to Flash and he seems a genuine lad who gives his all for the club. I also think that he has won over the doubters and I think our gaffer thrives on having this type of character in his teams.

I think that the players love Wes McDonald and Elijah and Flash seem to get on really well too and are beginning to build a good relationship on the pitch. I also think that Lavery is a great player to have around. He has been a ‘bit-part’ player for most of his career but you don’t play for Sheffield United unless you’ve got something (Wilder doesn’t ‘suffer fools’).

Ironically, I always thought Leon Clarke would have been brilliant for Walsall; however, I think that he has moved out of our wage-bracket and is getting on a bit now.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want Gordon to be sold; however, I think that it will be difficult for the club to keep hold of him, Wes and possibly even Liam Roberts, if we start well next year.

The one thing I would say about Walsall at the moment is that our current manager (and chairman) seem to have built up the kind of team-spirit that we have not seen since Dean Smith. I don’t think Whitney, Keates or even O’Connor had the right balance in their squads between ‘big heads’ and solid professionals (like Sadler or, in the Ginger Mourinho days, Andy Butler).

I can see quite a few parallels with the current squad and Smith’s in Grigg’s breakthrough season. I think we are moving in the right direction and if one of our young, homegrown midfield talents can push on this season, I think we could have a really enjoyable season next year, even if we can’t be in the ground at the start of September!

5 Likes

A couple of interesting names released by Bristol rovers…
Holmes-dennis - left back/ left midfield

Tony Craig - centre back loved by the rovers fans age 35 maybe too old though,

Liam sercombe - attack minded midfield could be a great replacement for the departing holden.

Tom nichols - striker goals have dried up for him since his move to Peterborough maybe league 2 his is level.

4 Likes

Sure there was talk on here of Sercombe being a possibility last summer. Had his best season at Rovers under DC so who knows what will happen seeing as he is now a free agent?

1 Like

If we do sign Sercombe, can we agree here and now that we will always call him Harry?

3 Likes

Or “stances“ or “sized”

6 Likes

I can see this turning into one of those threads :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

From what I saw of him at Oxford Sercormbe is exactly what is needed in central midfield, energetic and can score a few goals (12 in 17/18 season). Good player at league one level so will probably be interest still in that league unless he loved playing under DC?

Last time he played in league two he scored 14 league goals so it’s the calibre of signing that would make automatic promotion a realistic possibility. Same for Hiwula.

1 Like

Vented,

1 Like