Relegation calculator (again)

^^^^^what he said

Ok, heā€™s done well to get promoted from league two. Heā€™s not done great at this level on a budget similar to ours though. Just a fact.

Heā€™s had a couple of good finishes, and then assembled a team good enough to finish 20th and 22nd when he left, that has the exact same fragility we do.

And likening him to the job Sean Dyche has done is ridiculous by the way. The jump from league two to league one is completely different to that of the premier league, not to mention the fact Burnley have become renowned for having a solid defence at least for their first couple of seasons as well as getting into Europe. Keith Hill has achieved nothing of the sort, even in comparison, in this league.

Could well be a good thing to have on your CV from our point of view, come the end of the season :wink:

Maybe he would get us out of league two. It depends what your aims are. To get out of League Two and end up in the exact same position we are in now? Great! get Keith Hill in! He will probably achieve that.

Damn right ā€¦ case closed.

That will equate to success in the foreseeable, despite the Championship ambitions touted by Bonserā€™s mouthpiece.
Better get used to the idea.

1 Like

Please just admit you are wrong for once.

Itā€™s painful mate really is!

1 Like

That was the original result, letting the relegation calculator do all the working out. Here we are, a fortnight later, and the same procedure brings up a slight improvement in the forecast. The current projection is that we will finish 21st on 46 points, 3 points behind Gillingham.

Who knows what a couple more wins will achieveā€¦ (?).

What would you like me to admit Iā€™m wrong about? That Rochdale/Keith Hill have assembled the leakiest defence in English football? Thatā€™s heā€™s never risen higher than mid table obscurity, something I seem to remember a lot of people whining about, on a budget similar to ours? That we should be aiming higher, long term, than the position we are currently in and that we need a manager who can over see that progression?

Painful, it really is.

Like I said:

Only Walsall fans would pine after a manager whose been shown to be out of his depth in this league and also not the man to fix the problems we actually have after being sacked from a team below us rather than back their own or aim a little higher.

Youā€™re assuming their budget is similar to ours. I donā€™t think theyā€™re close to our resources. Yes, we should be aomi g higher, but a comparison to Rochdale is, IMHO, off the charts. Regardless, if you wish to pursue it, their strategy of ā€˜weā€™ll score than youā€™ has worked for the majority of Hillā€™s tenure, where he has overachieved compared to his resources.

1 Like

I donā€™t have the exact figures but every graph of wage spend I have ever seen has us bottom if not close to it. And as for transfer budget Iā€™d guess itā€™s relative. Weā€™re hardly Man City. Our Turnover might be higher than theirs but do you really think we have that much bigger of a budget? Based on what we know about this club, how it spends those resources?

Thatā€™s a completely naive way of approaching a football match and at a higher level, like League One compared to where heā€™s come from, you need extremely special attackers to do that. We havenā€™t got the budget to acquire them or the prospects in development. So a more pragmatic approach than ā€œwe will just score more than youā€ (Which Rochdale havenā€™t managed for the last two years) is needed.

Their turnover is way below ours. My ā€˜scoreā€™ comment was more facetious but represents a valid threat response. Hill spends his money on forwards and structures his game plan to facilitate that. Itā€™s risky, but theyā€™ve got nothing to lose.

They also rent their ground. Care to guess how much for?

Yes. I said that. But that isnā€™t related to budget and what the manager is given to spend.

ā€œThatā€™s a completely naive way of approaching a football match and at a higher level, like League One compared to where heā€™s come from, you need extremely special attackers to do that. We havenā€™t got the budget to acquire them or the prospects in development. So a more pragmatic approach than ā€œwe will just score more than youā€ (Which Rochdale havenā€™t managed for the last two years) is needed.ā€

Iā€™d say weā€™ve got an awful lot to lose from our current position. Relegation, twice over, failure to come back up from league two, deterioration of an already deteriorated fan base ā€¦

Same as ours? Yeah their finances are completely different arenā€™t they :joy:

Harsh saying heā€™s out of his depth in League One.

Heā€™s clearly done a good job at this level for a number of seasons, but itā€™s just gone stale at Rochdale for whatever reason. It doesnā€™t make him a bad manager.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never at any point said heā€™s a ā€œbad managerā€. Heā€™s just displayed, on numerous occasions, that he canā€™t lift a club like ours on a similar budget past mid table obscurity, and sometimes a relegation scrap. Heā€™s a top half league two/ bottom half league one manager who has demonstrated no ability to fix the problems we have at any point.

If people want that, great! Bring him in. People will moan about him like they moaned about Whitney because thatā€™s pretty much all he achieved with us as well in time.

Itā€™s like dancing on quicksand.

1 Like

:roll_eyes: why do you hate discussion on your message board? It really is bizarre. I have addressed every single point anybody has made with how I see it. If you donā€™t like it thatā€™s kind of how opinions work.

In your world, just because ā€˜xā€™ has happened previously then ā€˜yā€™ must be the outcome. Football doesnā€™t work like that.

I think it would be good for the club to look a little bit outside the box when it comes to our next appointment (whenever that is) and get someone in who doesnā€™t have any association with the club. Even the appointment of Oā€™Driscoll came with a heavy recommendation from Smith and Oā€™Kelly.

Our last appointment that didnā€™t follow our usual introvert tendencies was Richard Money who was a complete breath of fresh air and really galvanised the club.