Retained & Released List - 2022

What’s the point in having the cheap back up keeper that is crap then?!

There are not many times in our history we have had that - last season was one of the closer ones given Rose’s reliability.

1 Like

Err NO! still hobbling after major surgery, does that look like he will be continuing a successful career in football? Even 4th Division cloggers need to be strong and fit, doesn’t look good, sorry for the lad but I think we can discount him from future plans.
We could all see that it was never an option.

1 Like

Perhaps, tomorrow we might hear about some of the deals Flynn has got over the line. Pre season will be here soon, this year, so no time to waste.

Agree with most about Leak. I thought he was a real prospect. I’m not surprised because he was being overlooked but really disappointed. Good luck to the lad, this one might come back to embarrass us.

2 Likes

Between us we can argue that most of those released could be retained, with the possible exception of Mills. But we need new blood. We may have released squad players, but I’m hoping we’ll be signing 1st team starters which will demote to the bench some who have had their chance and done very little.

We need 2 keepers.
We need a right wing back and 2 left wing backs, although if Shade and Osadebe re-sign then that means we’ll only need a left wing back (possibly Haynes from Newport).
We need 2 creative midfield players, assuming Riley maybe one.
We need 3 strikers.

That will give us a squad of:
12 retained (- 2 long term injuries = 10)
Haynes, Shade, Osadebe, Riley,
A.N.Other midfield
2 keepers
3 strikers
= 20 + Shaw, Willock, Maher, Sawyers + Wilkinson / Labadie

Assuming at least 3 incoming will be young loans, it isn’t a significant shake up!
Need to off-load Rodney, Kiernan and not re-sign Osadebe and get 3 more new faces.

Says former Histon Town, Boston United, Grimsby Town and Morecambe full back.

Best of luck at the Nou Camp! :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Good shout! Could maybe put Jon Macken in that category too.

Most of them end up being a waste of time. Tomlin, Ward, Matt Jarvis, Russel Martin, Simeon Jackson…

2 Likes

Tommy Mooney did a decent job for a season.

On the subject of Leak, I wonder if DC will be making contact…

6 Likes

Well, you don’t know until you have to play them in a first team game.
Remember Andy Petterson??

So I ummed and arred about Postman Pat, but given he was our only real senior striker after Deeney scarpered, but managed a handful of goals across the two seasons. Don’t remember him scoring more than 10 in either campaign, so not sure where the 21 goals on his wiki came from!

1 Like

Not been too many in recent years. I’d add Tommy Mooney and Jamie Vincent (RIP)

4 Likes

We’re you about in Jimmy Walkers first time at the club? There were a couple that had left being first choice to come to us and couldn’t get in

But he was crap!

Singlehandidly cost us relegation thanks to that horrific Coventry game!

He was gash, but many things cost us relegation that season. If you really want to pin it on a keeper, then I’m afraid you’re going to have to pin it on Jimmy for racing 30 yards to grab Dennis Wise by the chops and getting a straight red, meaning Petterson had to play the next 3.

3 Likes

That’s true, but unless you’re playing in the italian leagues and have the mafia slipping you a couple extra ££, there’s no excuse for letting in 6, or the peformances he provided during his trio of games. I’d rather have seen Neil Emblen given the GK gigg full time.

1 Like

I’d rather have seen them play one of the kiosk girls.

Andy Petterson is the worst player to ever play for Walsall in his respective position. Fact.

4 Likes

I didn’t see Petterson, but I did see Allen McKnight and Johnny Brain, so it’s some achievement to be worse than them!

3 Likes

No, no, no, and no.

I present Johnny Brain, and Richard McKinney as evidence of worse.

No no.

Those two were just crap. I think people forget how much of a loser Andy Petterson was. A fraud, and a charlatan. The Ali Dia of goalkeepers :joy:

5 Likes