Rico Henry Sell On Clause

Brentford going up…

How much £ do we get?

Nice jinx.

Walsall must be the most cursed club in English football regarding sell on clauses.

1 Like

:joy::joy:

Bloody typical. New policy for Walsall FC, no more sell on clauses please. We never benefit from them.

1 Like

It’s all irrelevant, that’s money would not be seen for dust!

Typically the standard sell on percentage is 20%.
Should Rico be sold for 10 million, we would net 2 million pounds. That would huge for a club our size.
I’m sure there are other clauses in the contract like appearances, getting into the Premier league, possible England call ups, etc.
I wish the lad well. He’s definitely the best left back Ive ever seen in a Walsall shirt.

2 Likes

Not just sell on clauses, cursed in all of our transfer dealings and inept when it comes to protecting the investment that we have made in players. From the days of giving Allan Clarke away to Fulham for a pittance, to the loss of Etheridge and £3m pounds worth of Sawyers on a Bosman, over the years we have missed out big time. Other lower league clubs seem to be able to cash in.

1 Like

The fact it was £1.5m rising to £5m with add ons would suggest there is £3.5m there in add ons that do not include a sell on fee? So there could be an extra £1m for promotion, £1m if they stay up, £1m if he plays for England and £500k if he makes 100 league appearances. Plus a 10-20% sell on fee.

1 Like

Completely agree, those who are dreaming of how we might spend such monies are living in cloud cuckoo land, we ALL know where it will end up!

That may be true…but the money can only help in the situation Pomlett and the club find themselves in .

6 Likes

Any additional money in these times would be very welcome wherever it ends up.

I think we’ve been guilty in the past of caving in. Clubs come in for one of our developed players, they well know our financial situation and we end up being bullied down to what they want to pay and not what we asked.
Time and time again surrender too quickly because the buying club knows how badly we need the money.
When Pomlett became chairman and announced his plans for the club, most fans were thrilled. We were rid of JB and his strangle hold on the club , new brush, sweep clean mentality, and we saw hope…something we had not seen for decades.
However impressive LP was, and is, I was not impressed with his bank account, or lack thereof.
He explained his 5 year freehold plan ned the need for outside investment to achieve that goal, bit until then, we are still paying rent.
We all like Leigh. His vision for the club and his communication skills gave the fans optimism not seen in years. He’s rich by our standards, but not football rich.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have an owner with 50 + million who could afford to spend a few bob on the club…dream on!

Fully agree, some people love to dream!

And what’s wrong with that? Think most people know where the money will end up but it all goes towards helping the club become less of his club and that’s a reason to be excited

4 Likes

Are you old enough to have seen Gino Padula play?

I’m afraid so, Okney, old enough that is!
I can go back three decades before Gino, who was a very good left back. We’ve had some good ones in my time watching Walsall, but none better (imho) than Rico.
He has such raw, natural talent. I’m surprised Deano hasn’t signed him up as Villa can’t defend.
I believe he will play for England one day…can’t say that about many Walsall pllayers…

1 Like

I’d agree that, while he was still with us, Rico looked like he was going to be a star (and possibly even good enough to play for England at some point), but at that stage I don’t think he was “better” than Padula or several other left backs we’ve had over the years - including my namesake against whom he was competing to be picked (and not always winning).

Not saying that Rico won’t eclipse all of them before his career is over, just that at that moment in time when he was with us - getting better all the time, but still young and comparatively inexperienced - he was not better than other players who have played for us while at their peak (or on the way down from a previously higher level).

There have been other discussions on here about the best players to have played for us which have made the same distinction between the best players while at Walsall and those who have played for us before or after their best (e.g. Alan Clarke or Paul Merson vs Alan Buckley?)

1 Like

Seen Rico play for Brentford a few times over the past few years. He is still an excellent player but his best development years have been absolutely plagued by injury so don’t think he will reach that potential again. I hope I’m wrong though and good to see him back in the team and playing a lot.

1 Like

Was just wondering if Deeney would get a move back into the prem if Watford went down?

2 Likes

I thought that yesterday, but imho he seems like the type who would want to stay to get them back up and his legendary status to remain forever.

1 Like

Would Deeney get in to the Sheffield United team, ahead of McGoldrick? Yes.

Would he strengthen their squad? Yes, he’d start alongside McBurnie.

Who knows? Sheffield could even ‘pay’ for the percentage owed to us by Watford by letting us have Billy Sharp for a year, whilst they pay his wages, as a good will gesture ( a la Merson).

Walsall have had many a Sheffield based player over the past 10 years so you never know! :wink:

“What’s that nurse? My medication is ready? I’ll be right along!” :face_with_thermometer:

8 Likes