Ronan Arjun Maher (RAM) - 2025

But he is called Ronan, which according to Google is an Irish name meaning “little seal”. The surname is Irish, coming mainly from Tipperary and sometimes spelt Meagher.

2 Likes

Oh well, in that case I’m an idiot. I genuinely thought his name was Rohan, that’s what I’ve thought it was since he first appeared. Oooops.
Shall we forget this ever happened?
Or I could argue for dozens of posts for the next few hours that I’m right and try to get everyone to agree that his name actually is Rohan and has been all along. :laughing:

7 Likes

Or go for a diversionary reference to Brexit or Covid.

1 Like

Or start arguing about whether Leo Kinsella should be in the team.

1 Like

But it wouldn’t be an argument, just an ‘ongoing discussion’!!:wink:

1 Like

Should this subject be dropped?

1 Like

I have no interest if he makes himself look like Grealish but I do have concerns about him getting booked twice already this season. He is undoubtedly a great prospect and a bit of confidence is a good thing but he has to channel it into his play and not into his attitude on the pitch.

It is not unreasonable to think he might be running our midfield by the end of the season but it’s also possible he might get a few suspensions.

2 Likes

And from that whether Leo Sayer deserves a bit more respect on his name. Like many others, did chart success undermine his credibility?

At college, Leo Sayer used to mean “all dayer”. Not sure that is official Cockney rhyming slang or whether it was a strange Ormskirk thing.

Anyway - if by 7pm you were off your face you’d probably been on a “Leo”. Last day of terms tended to be “Leo’s” too.

2 Likes

One of those facts that is still tucked away from years of doing or setting pub quizzes is that Leo isn’t his real name, it’s actually Rohan. No, I jest, it’s actually Gerard. I don’t know if he chose Leo or it was a family nickname from when he was little.

1 Like

Is a foo fighter an all nighter?

Maybe in 2022. It definitely wasn’t in 1990.

1 Like

I find as I get older I increasingly prefer a Vera Lynn. Or a quiet night in, as others call it.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s injured.

1 Like

I was going to put that earlier but I personally thought EN had done his time on that one :smiley:

I think you mean rested.

2 Likes

I had a lad in my class last year with the surname Maher. Based on working with a colleague in the past with the same surname, I pronounced it May-er as i had done with her, but he quickly picked me up on it and said it was pronounced ‘Mar’ as in Andrew Marr, the political tv presenter. :man_shrugging:

Against Stevenage, it sounded to me like our new stadium announcer was pronouncing it as Ma-rer.

Don’t suppose there is a video clip of him introducing himself?

Pointless playing the kid if we persist with hoofing it over his head all game clearly has abilty though.

3 Likes

Or you could just take J9JDM’s word for it? :wink:

1 Like

Ma-her, Ma-yer, or Ma-rer? :thinking:

I’m going with Osbourne. :joy:

4 Likes