The Mat Sadler Thread

It’s that Low bar we’ve talked about all season.

You’d think we were playing like prime Man City or Barcelona given the comments about the performances

1 Like

I’m not a Sadler in or out, I really don’t know at the moment. I’d say the answer to the question is a mix of the players we have not being good enough overall and a bit of inexperience from Sadler.

I totally agree with the poster above who posted the real quality players we have and I think he was being a bit generous including Earing, he still has to go up another level in my opinion but there is some hope he will get there if he stays fit.

I’d also ask regarding the building for next season theory, added to the lack of quality players and the likeliness Hutchinson won’t be here next season. Which players have actually improved this season? With or without Sadler we will need a really good summer of recruitment to be a threat to the top 7 next season.

2 Likes

Allied to all of that.

We also need to play with less of a fearful attitude, and be more positive.

That’s my main gripe if I am honest.

Sadler is far too cautious all the time and his brand of football is not really exciting or progressive in my opinion.

The Crawley manager actually said that post match on Tuesday. He is only interested in performances as good ones lead to points. I suppose he is correct but clearly like Sadler he isn’t getting enough good ones.

3 Likes

It hasn’t been for me. It’s just about what I expected, maybe to be a touch higher at this stage, but there’s still time for that. 60 plus points and a top half finish was where I had us at the start of the season. It would be a disappointment for me if we finished in a similar position, with a similar points tally to last time around. Plus I haven’t had to wear a neck brace this season, another bonus.

1 Like

This honestly happens every season.

2023/24 - 1.43 goals - 1.38 xg
2022/23 - 1.33 goals - 1.31 xg
2021/22 - 1.02 goals - 1.29 xg

We’re outscoring our xg at a similar rate.

In 2020/21, you started the Darrell Clarke out thread and said this:

That season our stats were:

2020/21 - 0.98 goals - 1.36 xg

I can’t understand how somebody who can get annoyed by poor results and think we should sack a manager could be so entrenched in the view that sacking a manager with less credentials, better players and similar results is so ridiculous.

6 Likes

Of course it’s obvious that performances are what matters. Can’t believe who’d find this controversial

Slightly confused why @Thanatos likes your post as the same thought had previously put him into howls of derisive laughter just a few posts further back

Oh you do yourself a massive disservice believe me .clear precise, spot on ,and remarkably in only a couple of paragraphs.

1 Like

The final sentence chap.

Whilst performances are important I would say that the ability to grind a result out of a rotten performance is key to success at this level. If that wasn’t the case Graydon and Richard Money could have reasonably led us to relegation not promotion.
We don’t seem to be able to do that anywhere near enough.

2 Likes

Looks like clear progress to me.

Clarke started from a much better point. All his squad have or went on to play at a higher level. Roberts and Scarr in the championship and Adebayo in the premier league. No way Clarke should be compared to Sadler.

I’m also tired of being labeled pro Sadler. I am pro stability. I don’t understand lots about Sadler. DJ. Evans v Smith. Our repeated inability to cross. But I’ve seen enough to know he is far and away our most tactically astute manager since Smith and am prepared to give him time.

3 Likes

Of course and if it was the Wembley play off final the result is all that matters.

But that’s not the position we find ourselves in at the moment is it.

This is pure trolling.

6 Likes

Who would you say it is then?

Matt 4-3-2-1 Taylor?

Dean long ball Keates?

Mike play the percentages Flynn?

The silly comment is ‘far and away…’.

Utter codswallop and based on absolutely nothing.

2 Likes

I think taylor was our best technical manager since smith
He just tried to much with way to limited mistake prone players

1 Like

Any 12 month loan with a January recall clause is really only a 6-month loan, in reality. We all know that if the loanee does well, then he’s going back to his parent club.

I don’t believe that Sadler is the reason we are 16th and in division 4: it’s the players not being good enough.

Don’t say that, some on here are basing their entire foundations of the “building” on the fact we have won’t have a huge squad turnover in the summer.

1 Like

Summer is obviously crucial.

If we sign a striker on a 6 month loan i think I might cry.

1 Like