The Official Transfer Rumours Thread 2019 summer edition

We are at a crossroads. Investment now and we could make a genuine push for the play offs. I haven’t scrimped and saved for my season ticket for the rest of the season to be a dead rubber. Also, Pomlett can kiss goodbye to his 5k aspirations If the only thing on offer is an elongated pre-season for 20/21 fixtures.

1 Like

Clarke in the E&S this morning saying he doesn’t want any untested u23 players. Interesting.

4 Likes

‘cough’, Elijah, ‘cough’

1 Like

Can’t see it helping the early bird season ticket sales at all, so I am expecting a couple of signings announced between now and tomorrows fans forum.

I am hoping they will be quality players, but will more than likely be very underwhelming again as the summer signings were.

On another note, I see Matt Jarvis turned out for Woking FC in a friendly game last night.

And Salford signed another player Michael O’Connor, decent 6’2 Centre Mdfielder from Lincoln, very used to winning promotions from league two.

And they are also in the running to sign Will Grigg

1 Like

I wonder if they have any spare strikers.
Oh, hang on…

Salford sign another from Lincoln Michael O’Connor midfielder Lincoln fans not happy good player again apparently.

Hopefully the club are setting their sights on one or two experienced players then for this window. Hopefully not totally past it than Liddle though!

This makes perfect sense , if any of you saw the Portsmouth game you would have seen WFC s next good young player who is ready for some more first team game time .Sam Perry he was excellent against a very good quality Portsmouth side he was probably the best player on the pitch actually received the MOM .
Let’s not put to much pressure on the lad but he is definitely worth some game time this season .

3 Likes

Well thay aint gonna want the ginger wonder back, thats for sure.

We are well and truly lumbered with him.

If we had any intention of having a go at a late play off push, we should also be in the running for Grigg with Swindon and Salford.

But we all know that wont happen.

Yes I agree with you, that scenario is carp but honestly think that’s where we are.

We’ve got some quality young lads in this squad, who next season could be really decent - the likes of CCM, Bates, Perry.

However, there’s no use blooding Bates and Perry in a terribly weak midfield, it’ll ruin them. We desperately need a solid 6ft+ centre mid, proven at this level (preferably the one above too) to play alongside our youngsters. CCM has the experience to learn from in Pring, but our centre mids haven’t.

We also need another winger to balance out the team and we need to move Gaffney on.

I don’t mind blooding youngsters, I don’t mind this season being effectively a write off. What I do mind is getting to another summer and losing 7 or 8 of a starting line up, and having to start again. That’s what I worried the clubs current approach is doing.

“January is over emphasised” to paraphrase Leigh Pomlett, is the worrying phrase. Well, it’s not over emphasised. Its crucial to turn around a season, to plan for next season, to cut your losses with players that aren’t cutting the mustard…

6 Likes

Spot on. Youngsters will only develop if they play alongside experienced players they can learn from and also they need to be in and out the side, being properly rested. This team needs reinforcements now, in order to be developing these youngsters and to be ready for next season.

played 25 matches for Swindon in League 2

I think Grigg would prefer having needles pushed into his eyes rather than returning here.

So a bit like Doyle then :slight_smile:

Really? I know it’s a popular thing on here to blame our fans for players leaving the club, but I don’t think he could be more glowing in his praise of the support and WFC as a whole…

2 Likes

Agree with a lot of that, but Pring has about as much “experience” as Kory Roberts i.e. not much at all.

I can’t help but have a few cynical thoughts after reading Pomlett’s interview. For months, almost in every post match interview DC has emphasised the importance of the transfer window both to this season and the ongoing development of the club. Now we’re ticking into the second half of it having not signed anyone that we didn’t have prior to it, or got rid of any first team players, and suddenly the chairman goes to press playing down the importance of the window, and yet claiming he still harbours hopes for reaching the play-offs. There’s only one way we’re even going to approximate having a go at the play-offs and that’s by signing at least two or three players of the quality that other sides in this league are currently doing. The striker and the winger that DC is currently wishing for, is exactly what he was wishing for as we approached the end of the summer window. Maybe if we’d got them then we’d have had a better season! Just a thought.

10 Likes

I agree Geordie. Pomlett’s words strike a little of playing to the gallery and I expect the same tomorrow at the forum. Still huge progress mind in that he recognises that there is a gallery that needs playing to. He is actually talking and will be there to be questioned tomorrow.

I’d like to understand more about the 5,000 crowd target and some transparency here would be good.

Is it that we have around 1250 freebies at present so 5,000 represents 3,750 paying punters?

Is it that the economic situation means that the off-field activities minus the rent leaves the football team having to subsidise both and therefore far from the competitive advantage we are told our off field activities brought us (even with the rent) that this now isn’t the case?

Why do we need bigger crowds than some sugar daddy less clubs like Accrington, Rochdale, Burton, Wimbledon and Wycombe to sustain third tier football? Is it that they have better on and off-field management than us? If yes, then why is this?

3 Likes

My thoughts entirely, after constantly hearing from DC that we need some quality signings in the new year, and that we will be moving on those who have not stepped up to the mark.
What do we actually get? Silence, zilch, then after the interview you tend to get the feeling that ‘all’s quiet at the Bescot’ will become the fizzle out end to our particular January transfer window.
Very disappointing, fans need to feel that our intentions on the field are more than just achieving a mid table finish.
I, like everyone on here, want to see a team we can really be proud of, if we don’t make the play off’s then so be it, but please don’t make us suffer a drearily dull shuffle towards mid table security, we as fans want a bit more effort from those in charge than such a dull as dishwater approach.

2 Likes