The Official Transfer Rumours Thread 2019 summer edition

It’s clear that you are 100% through and through Butters, no question.
Thing is for me, I couldn’t give a ■■■■ for people that only want to roll up to support us when we have success. Maybe too long in the tooth, growing up in the seventies when football wasn’t what is now.
See the thread on SOT. That was what supporting Walsall has always been about for me. Gallows humour, being the underdog and feeling part of a small, loyal fan base.

4 Likes

To me it’s not about who is the best supporter and will be there at any cost.
Having been to all the home games this season bar 1 through illness and 4or 5 away with the wife and kids .
I am debating if we should go Saturday or not as it is not cheap taking the family especially when I see teams around us showing more ambition than ourselves. It’s looking as though we are going to settle for mediocre season instead of getting a few decent players in and giving fans hope with some momentum and better performances especially at home where we have been poor for the most part in front of our long suffering supporters many of which forked out a lot of money on season tickets with the false hope of a good tilt a promotion at the first attempt

2 Likes

I really dunno how too word a reply. I 100% agree and feel that same way but some other side of me for some reason feels like were gunna need all these people too help build what LP wants because our “own” lot are not big enough i dont think after all the ■■■■ years… Pains me too say

2 Likes

Exactly that…

Agree Butters, it’s a difficult one. You want your team to win every game but somehow, the consequences of doing so could take away the very reason you started supporting the club in the first place.

1 Like

One thing that was confusing to me in Pomlett’s interview was the bit when he said his five year plan to get us into The Championship wouldn’t involve “incremental thinking” but rather a big change. Our approach and attitude to progress at the moment is almost painfully incremental. Does this tie in with the idea of foreign investors getting behind the club once we’re back in L1?? If so then why such a cautious approach to getting out of L2? That just doesn’t make sense to me, if there’s some kind of club changing investment candidly waiting in the wings until we get out of this league then surely we should be absolutely busting a gut to get out in case they get sick of waiting! This league could well contain the likes of Bolton, an even more impatient and minted Salford, and quite possibly one or both of Bradford and Plymouth next season. It will be a very tough ask to finish top 3, whereas this year the top 7 has the likes of Crewe, Cheltenham, and fan-owned Exeter knocking on the door.

4 Likes

Correct mate. Its so hard too word somethings, There has too be a balance, And like Gavin says with the costs and family time etc you sometimes have too question where we are going and weigh it all up… Is yout effort time and money being matched with ambition by the club? Dont matter how deep your love is sometimes your head does the more efficient thing

1 Like

I’d go it’s gonna be a goal fest haven’t our last 2 meetings been 3-2 or am I thinking of someone else?

Well, yeah? Exactly :joy:

Exactly we seem to have missed a big opportunity this season. Like you say I can see this division being tougher next year. A few good players in at the start of the season and we would’ve had at least an extra 12 points on the board . They signings in a way would have paid for themselves Leigh because you would now be getting the 5k plus at every home game.

1 Like

thats the only way he is getting 5000 at this level if we are challenging at the top.

3 Likes

Actions speak louder than words. He was a bit tosserish with his goal celebrations when he last scored against us at home. While he was here he would prefer to celebrate a goal to an empty stand than with fans.

If he did come I’d be amazed and delighted in equal measure.

Wasn’t that reported back in march last year?

Yeah, just thought it was interesting to go against the usual narrative pushed by some on here that the Banks’s is a cauldron of hate towards our own players.

2 Likes

I would imagine Grigg has re-defined his parameters of what it is to be unpopular after his time at the stadium of plight, he is absolutely reviled at Sunderland.

Didn’t he cost £4million?

The fact that they are after Boyce from Burton Albion to replace him says a lot about all parties, I’d say.

More chance of seeing Deeney in a Walsall shirt (in about 5 years) than Grigg (who’s probably on between £10K and £15K a week at Sunderland)…

Why do we need 5000 home fans to be competitive in this league. Its a complete joke.

You seemed to go AWOL during a recent run of form, nice to see your back now its ended

2 Likes

Agreed …also another question for tomorrow is how is it that for a lower league club we are supposed to have a very good commercial income yet we see so many other lessers teams with hardly any commercial income and worse facilities and lower crowds still manage to out do us in terms of of getting in decent players and paying half decent wages.why do we seem to see no benefits to the playing side .

It’s a farce. The commercial Income, the gates which I believe to be the 7th or 8th highest in the league yet we seem to be unable to compete financially at any level whatsoever. Why exactly. Its like Pension Fund Fc mk 2!