W 1-0 vs Brighton & Hove Albion U21's (H) - Papa John's Trophy Group L - Tue 14th Sept - 7pm

He maybe on loan but I’d be looking at giving Meneyese a long term contract (there must be a way) as this lad looks the business.
A major cock up by Clough.

Glad I went tonight. A really entertaining game and very good second half performance. Make no mistake Brighton’s kids- (excluding their 35 year old midfielder who played for Kilmarnock last season and was sent off for a horrible challenge ) were well up for this.
The lad up front they signed from Benfica under the nose of Man City looked class. As we have a connection now with Rushworth I’d love him on loan in January.

2 Likes

I must have watched Labadie 4 or 5 times, this season, and I just do not see what he brings to the team. He was totally anonymous again, tonight. He, along with Ash Taylor, is a waste of what I guess is one of our current highest wages.

1 Like

Rollin was brilliant again in fact has he put a foot wrong this season so far? Be nice if we could get him here permanently there might be a chance of it Clough doesn’t fancy him apparently

3 Likes

I agree bout labadie been an incredible disappointment so far! Only been good for getting injured nd booked! Kins has done that role a lot better this season and he is more mobile.
Labadie should be backup for now with kins and earing centre mid next game

Usually work of the def mid is very hard and ungrateful. He is not for playing football, but for stopping opponents from doing it. He has good game, when he is not visible. Normally he just works silently in the background. And Labadie is an important player for the manager. That’s why he got an armband and probably a relatively high contract. And probably he will be playing. Not many games will work the same, as Mansfield. Sooner or later some bruiser will be murdering our midfield, unless there will be players ready for physical fight. Ready for that dirty part of the game.

I’m not writing Labadie off yet as I don’t think he’s fully fit. He didn’t seem it in the first few games and getting sent off and a 3 game ban ain’t gonna help either.

Didn’t think Labadie was helped tonight by Bates alongside him having a poor game. Bates really seems to have stalled over the last 12-18months and seeing as he’s now probably 5th choice behind Labadie, Kinsella, Perry and Earring he maybe worth loaning out for a month or two at something like Conference North/South level to give him some game time and get some confidence back?

Agree about Kinsella and Earing in midfield while Labadie is banned as they complimented each other quite well on Saturday.

1 Like

Any idea on the crowd last night? Apologies if I’ve missed.

See the ‘guess the crowd’ thread…

1229 :man_facepalming:t2: shows how little fans are engaged with this pizza cup

Given that from a financial perspective this competition is mostly about the prize money, I wonder how viable (from a compliance perspective) it would be to just “open the gates” and allow people through the turnstiles for nothing. Unreserved seating or maybe reserved seating in the centre of the main stand (still free but you need a ticket) and unreserved elsewhere.

I still doubt it would break 3,000 but would create a better experience for all concerned and we might get a bit of financial upside back from the sundries.

3 Likes

Which is a massive shame , any one who was there will tell you it was a cracking night , some excellent players on view , a great work out for our lads and a very good game .
All the players and staff were certainly 100% committed to it .
You can’t get alot for a fiver these days but that has to be the best value ever , feel for those who missed , and yes I know the reasons they have , in my view extremely misguided .

4 Likes

Which is one of our larger crowds since u23’s entered

2 Likes

I’m on the fence about Labadie, I agree we haven’t seen the best of him yet but he’s a tough tackler (sometimes too tough) and needs to control his emotions.
Totally agree about Bates being way down in the pecking order, it might do the lad some good going out on loan.
MT needs to get Cloughie on the phone to discuss the fee for Meyanese, I’ve been. very impressed with him since his arrival. Two or three MoM awards…sign him up!

2 Likes

We played a premier league youth team. I’m not extremely misguided. Get over yourself. Glad you enjoyed the sumptuous football for your fiver. Super cute.

Has anyone got the horrible tackle from last night on video? I was at the game but would like another look at it.

I thought we played well overall. The Seaweeds played some lovely football but had little in the way of an end result, although Rose made one smart save in the first half. Their keeper made an excellent save (from Labadie?) also in the first half, when he looked a bit unsighted.
Dickerhead deserved his red, a bad foul and a stupid one.
Miller let the kids know they’d been in a game in his short spell on the pitch. He doesn’t look massive but is strong as an ox.
Good value for a quid.
I’d never noticed before, perhaps because I usually stand up, but the seats looked filthy.

1 Like

No highlights on YouTube so far.

You can try

https://www.saddlers.co.uk/ifollow/#hiddenVideo-7e1204f3-43ae-4eeb-97c,e-812cf6ca36c3

but you’ll need to be registered.

Your loss pal

10k for the win, a good run out for the squad players, no injuries picked up and another goal for Phillips.

Decent night all round and it was good to see how we responded to a team that were full of energy and very possession focused.

In terms of the competition itself, it’s obviously not ideal and the old JPT format was preferable, but the fact WFC voted against the premise makes it a lot more palatable.

6 Likes