W 1-0 vs Newport County (A) - League Two - Sat 6th Aug, 3pm

Think most of would have taken a point before the game and based on the way the match went we would have definitely been happy going home with a point. To walk away with all three is testament to the battling qualities and mentality of this team. We would have lost a game like that over the last few seasons. Well done boys :clap:t2::+1:t2:

Tuesday will be another good test. Swindon, who schooled us twice last season, are a different proposition having lost some of their better players from last season. As Flynn said in his interview, there will be a need to rotate the team so a chance to see the strength in depth we have created and how that impacts the team. Another good performance at home in those circumstances with the fact we have an injury list full of players who would be considered as starters and we could be on the verge of something :smiley:

Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing a few other players. Expect Swindon might make a few changes too but do they still have their pace in attack? Interested to see how we cope as I expect Swindon (of last season) are the only sort of side which will cause us problems.

I think that’s what has changed. Some people have zero respect for anyone or anything. The comparison with how it used to be holds water in my eyes because even our most “active” fans would act like gentlemen with kids and older folk. People like Kitty Lyons and her mates followed us for years and they were always respected.

And as a nipper, some of our biggest 70’s boot boys would abstain from abusing the opposition to have a chat. Usually something like “Buckley hat-trick today kidda - what do you reckon?”. And sometimes even apologise to dad for bad language. Certainly not threaten to fill him in.

And yes, there would be the odd “domestic” but that again would be our more active fans straightening an argument the way they knew how.

These were tough men. Hard men. But as somebody that has followed us from a toddler in the early 70’s, not once did I feel threatened by them. In fact, I always felt strangely comforted that they were around. Now, as others have said, I’ve become more wary and often feel safer in a pub with opposition fans than I do in a stand with some of our own.

And I’m not talking about young fellas having a bit of
fun on a day out. Drinking, swearing and some near the knuckle humour. It’s as Blazing describes, the “angry with everything” bloke who looks ready to fight anyone for any reason because absolutely everybody else apart from him and his two or three sidekicks are “c bombs”. And no doubt he goes home to his local and tells anyone who will listen how some “c” was taking liberties with the seating arrangements and how he threatened to fill the “c” in. Not mentioning it was a fella who’s followed us forever. One of the nicest blokes I’ve ever known. And his young lad.

As I say above - cowards is the only word I can think of.

26 Likes

I’m always one to defend our fans as I genuinely believe they are amazing.

However we do seem to be attracting some right bellends, drinking having fun yes but some of the behaviour is ridiculous at times.

Thing is PT one day they will say it to the wrong person and get filled in, that’s how life tends to work.

2 Likes

You’re right Dan. The stewards were sound. But around half time something changed. Suddenly ticket checks were going on. There hadn’t been any pre match (other than to get in) or before half time so a group like ours had tickets with other people, discarded them etc. And then they decided standing up the corner wasn’t to be tolerated. So 20 minutes into the second half you had around 100, (quite well lubricated) people going back to seats or even taking up seats for the first time that had subsequently been occupied by other folk thus adding a bit more angst.

Probably all on police instruction because up until half time they were all very chill and friendly.

1 Like

I noticed there was a female steward who I think was a head steward. She was proper laying into the other stewards. I didn’t hear exactly what was said but she appeared to be demanding things tightening up.

That isn’t a criticism, just an observation and possibly why the attitude of the stewards changed. I do agree that they weren’t the kind of stewards that cause bother for no reason, like anyone who has been to Bolton or either of the Nottingham grounds (and plenty of other places) will have experienced. It’s not an easy thing to do to control a lot of people who are over excitable and sometimes easily offended and most stewards are just football fans trying to earn a bit of extra cash, I’m not sure how much training they get.

2 Likes

Stewards were great TBF, coming out of the bar at HT the guy on the door patted me on the back and told me to have a great 2nd half, and had one approach me outside on the way in to check I knew where I was going and to see if I needed any help. Also, the guy on the way in was really friendly.

Think thats South Walians though, generally a friendly lot, unlike the ones I have to deal with up here in the North!

2 Likes

I was going to mention the guy on the way In he was fantastic and a credit to them.

1 Like

What a great day.

We’re going up aren’t we.

2 Likes

Who are you and what have you done with @el_nombre?

11 Likes

In fairness, even if we don’t manage it this season, it wouldn’t change how I feel about this squad/manager. They are a team you can actually be proud of. The effort is off the scale. They are all playing for the shirt. They’re committed. They fight for everything.

It’s everything I’ve wanted from a Walsall team for 5 years and I absolutely love it

33 Likes

Agree 100%.

1 Like

There are a few people in life who have an uncanny knack of just knowing and reading a situation and saying something about it that’s usually right. I’ve found over my 3 years on here that EN is one of those people.For a bit of balance though he did get being dropped and being injured mixed up once but apart from that EN isn’t usually far away :grin:

4 Likes

Can’t argue that. From what I’ve seen so far even if it goes totally tits up the effort, and organisation, and (dare I say it) desire are off the scale compared to recent years.

3 Likes

They don’t use fists now mate, they use knives, i have had to bite my tongue on so many occasions :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

That is the bedrock of successful teams at this level. If we display that in every game and still fail then it can only point to quality, but I genuinely believe we have that as well. Only thing we can’t control is a bit of Lady Luck so hopefully we get a smattering of that across the season when needed :smiley:

Something i finally agree 100% on with you.

3 Likes

I’ve said this to my daughters when they are out and about.If it kicks off get out the way because it’s not just a dust up now with fists like it use to be,there’s always an idiot with a knife I just don’t understand it.Problem is when they pull out that weapon and the others see it they put themselves in a position of,if I don’t use it now I’ll look soft or weak and almost all of the time it ends up being used.What’s happened to the world mate :man_facepalming:t2: Sorry back on topic what a great result :grin:

5 Likes

It reminded me of Swindon, a few years ago, with Saddlers fans on an open terrace in baking sunshine. The game itself was poor, full of route-one hoofball, and, as Michael Flynn said, we were fortunate to leave with all 3 points. I was amazed that Owen Evans escaped a yellow card for his blatant time-wasting!

I think that the phrase is “winning ugly”. We certainly did that at Newport! :grinning:

5 Likes