W 2-0 vs Wycombe Wanderers (A) - FA Cup Round One - Sat 5th Nov, 3pm

Think we saw a ridiculous amount of goals in three matches on Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday. CBA to look it up. Think PNE 7-3 Bristol City (???) 6-3 midweek and Gillingham 2-5 following Saturday. Not checked so this is the moment I discover if I have any remaining memory :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Tues-Sat-Sat. We beat Cardiff 6-3, lost to Gillingham 5-2, then walloped PNE. Next round we beat Vale (after a replay) before going out in the 3rd round 3-1 to Man City.

2 Likes

I’m impressed both with @AndyWTaylor and with me. My vague recollections of things that happened decades ago when I was mullered are still there somewhere, even if not entirely accurate :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Can’t claim to be Mr Memory - I checked on 11v11. :rofl:

But very impressive that you were pretty close in your recollection.

1 Like
6 Likes

I have checked up but I did remember that it in that season we also beat Reading and Bristol Rovers 6-0 at Fellows Park. We also beat Newport 5-1 (on a Friday night if I recall rightly) And scored 4 past several teams at Fellows Park, including Bournemouth which was on my Birthday so I remember it well.

Below is our Home and Away record that season, which pretty much sums up my memories of Buckley’s teams, whallop anyone at Fellows Park but generally awful away from home.

Definitely Value for money though, especially given we had cup runs! Knocked the Dingles out of the League Cup that season and as Andy Mentioned lost to Man City in the FA Cup.

2 Likes

I remember beating Gas 5-0 when they brought thousands cos their chairman paid for their travel. Think that was before?

Parking and travel info for Saturday as per this piece on Wycombe’s site.

1 Like

Was that the game played in snow? The radio commentator said we were trying to play too much football in the conditions,

Never seen a cup run in my life time except for the pizza final if that counts
Fa cup is yet to be special to me

1 Like

Isn’t the 5th round the highest we’ve ever achieved in the FA Cup? The club is way overdue for a good cup run.
Buckley got us to the semi-final of the league cup against Liverpool in 1984 and Deano took us to Wembley in 2015.
For me, the best day of my life supporting Walsall was that glorious day in Cardiff when we won promotion to the Championship, what a day that was!

Yes and you’ve done it six times.

remember saying that the playing conditions, [the snow] brought us down to Man City’s level :rofl: and aided their victory on the day.

Is there any news yet on whether Danny Johnson will be allowed to play tomorrow?

I suspect that the club knows Johnson is ineligible to play tomorrow, but they’re withholding that from the media until the last minute. Flynn will not want his opposite number at Wycombe to know this in advance of the game for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

And exactly the same could apply if Johnson is eligible to play tomorrow.

Just got my 2 tickets… hopefully they put on a good performance

1 Like

Dont know whether anyone else remembers a lovely finish from Andy Rammell here in our promotion season. Great finish

3 Likes

Talking of FA cup, Hereford v Portsmouth on BBC2 tonight, keep your eye out for my nephew
He has a bit of a reputation now, after squirting a bottle of water at an opposing manager in a heated argument, and telling him to cool down :joy:
The fans have nicknamed him the water boy lol

2 Likes

Sounds like he takes after his uncle :rofl:

4 Likes