W 2-1 vs Accrington Stanley (H) - League Two - Tue 27th Feb, 7:45pm

Yep, disappointing but nice to know early.
We usually leave MK at 9-9:30 to get to Walsall town by just after 11.

Looks like a breakfast in Spoons followed by visiting a few of the local ale places instead in Towcester and then back in MK.

Hoping Towcester Brewery have some crates of their Xmas beer left as they’ll be selling it off with a discount. :grin:

1 Like

Some hot air on here could have been used to defrost the pitch :grin:

Games get called off around this time of year, especially at our level and below, hardly uncommon :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Yes the tinpot clubs like Harrogate, Barrow and Newport games are still ON

Right then. Pitch tarpaulins x 6 to cover up to the halfway line is £4500, add £250 extra over cost for sewing together. 2 no SIP Fireball propane heaters which run at between 3-5kg per hour cost £550 each that’s £1100 plus gas at £80/47kg x 2. Running cost say 8kg /hr = £13.60/hr
Capital cost say £5850
Running costs (gas plus electricity) £380/24hrs
Run for 5 days will cost £1900
Total £7750 (obviously the tarpaulins will be used again)
Average ticket price say £20? that’s about 400 tickets.

That’s a bugger. No excuse not to do my tax return this afternoon, now :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

The Health and Safety culture wins again. A few years back this game would have been played. Now it will be on a Tuesday night with only a few there. I am sure the club did their best to get it on but Walsall FC never seems to have any luck. The fixture list does not help…if we play next week it will be our first home match in January!!!

1 Like

Some clubs can be bothered

1 Like

In scenarios like this where the weather is almost certainly getting warmer and both Accrington and Walsall don’t have a midweek game, I don’t know why they couldn’t use Sunday as a reserve day.

I mean they do it in cricket for some games, so it’s not like there’s no precedent.

4 Likes

Very disappointed!
The missus is dragging me to see the mother in law now……….

3 Likes

On the 60s this game wouldn’t be off
Men were men back then and they could handle a broken leg or 2

1 Like

Indeed, the Swindon game was called off almost exactly a year ago on 21st January.

On the face of it that seems like a good idea, I’m sure there will be some reason why it couldn’t happen.

Because they borrowed Leicester’s equipment and ground staff according to that - they obviously don’t own their own. We might have asked one of our near neighbours to do the same and been told no.

Sunday Market. Contractual obligations?

1 Like

There you go,

I agree Ken, the mindset of the club and some fans who are prepared to find any excuses as to why we can’t play never changes. Burton have a simple cover which is inflated by hot air blowers don’t have any problems. It’s relatively cheap and simple with low running costs, low capital outlay and reusable many times. The deserves all the criticism it gets.

1 Like

No shock here, few inches of frost was never going to thaw in time.

However there are ways to protect the pitch should we wish to invest a few quid.

Tinpot club nailed on - it’s what we are.

If it was that straightforward then wouldn’t Stockport and Mansfield be doing it?
Both have money and both have no motive to postpone a Saturday home game on a promotion run in.

Maybe because refs at our level are only part-time and have other jobs - meaning that they will usually only have Sunday free to pre-arrange family time?

2 Likes