W 2-1 vs Accrington Stanley (H) - League Two - Tue 27th Feb, 7:45pm

Yeah frozen pitch is a poor excuse for the game being postponed. What planet you on?

2 Likes

They can ring me and I’ll organise it all, not a problem :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Nice bit of editing of the quote there!

Just disappointed that the club haven’t called upon all the ground keeping expertise displayed here on UTS, reckon the game would have been on and played in tropical conditions as a result :desert_island: :grin:

6 Likes

You’re talking about the consequences of NOT protecting the pitch and no one on this planet would disagree if the pitch was frozen. Looking at ways to mitigate the problem is the way forward for any club at our level and above.

1 Like

It should be possible but it would never happen these days.

When I was a kid, sometime in the mid 80s, our game at Wigan got called off quite late, my Dad took us to Anfield where we were able to pay in on the day. Saw Liverpool lose 1-0 to Spurs. Then went to Wigan the next day and saw us win 2-1 (The only time I saw us win at Wigan in about a dozen visits)

Football was better in someways back then.

3 Likes

Forward thinking and Common sense is wasted on here.

1 Like

Well there would be nothing wrong in telling the fans that if they wanted to. I very much doubt they did.

I can’t imagine they have even looked at the forecast or they don’t take the forecast into consideration

From a pure business POV, it’s very poor

I apologise to anybody my thoughtless post offended. We all know that it could have been up to a dozen subject to Brian getting the afternoon off.

I’m gonna do a monster walk with the dog now.

That’s a big walk.

Not a walk where we’re looking for monsters like what all the kids were doing about a decade ago.

3 Likes

Lets face it, the club arent going to invest in anything that might have meant todays game had a proper chance of going ahead. To be fair to the groundstaff, i think that they do a fantastic job given what thay have to work with. The lawn mower that they use is that old that’s it’s powered by coal and steam, and after the last match I noticed one of the ground staff was trying to physically pull this massive roller by hand to level out the pitch. And while I’m on, the floodlights are still shit. Weren’t they meant to be changed just before covid hit? Obviously cancelled the order!!!

Its clearly not financially viable as so many lower league teams have games postponed.

It’s 2024, and this isn’t just aimed at Walsall, but with the technology available how can clubs not manage to protect the pitch.

It should be an EFL requirement.

The club will probably lose just as much money staging a replay on limited ticket sales.

1 Like

Who’s wife ?

Re the Sunday contingency idea, what irks me is that ALL EFL games ought to have some plan for unexpected rearrangement in advance. We announced a new date for Morecambe only very shortly after the Alfreton game when we knew we’d be paying in the Cup that day instead - but we’re still waiting for the new Doncaster date weeks after that was postponed, yet there have already been several suitable Tuesday nights that we could have used instead.

If we can do it for cup clashes, why can’t we do it for any other game especially as most seasons there are bad weather windows of excessive snow, rain, or frost?

1 Like

Disappointed for obvious reasons but there is always next week :wink:

1 Like

I generally don’t like having a digital season ticket. Like music, having something physical feels better. Or maybe I’m just old.

Anyway, one good thing about them will be that there’s no confusion next week.

“You’ve given me match 14 mate”
“But it is match 14”
“No this is match 15, match 14 is Accrington”
“Shit, I’ve ripped it out now”
“ just keep it and it will be fine”

Accrington game come round

“You’ve given me match 17 mate”
“This is match 17”
“No this is match 14 cos it was postponed”
“Oh shit, yes - now where did I put the Accrington ticket”
Fumbles in wallet, in the plastic sleeve of the book
“There you go mate”
“Cheers and here’s match 17 back, it’ll be fine just give this one in next week”

Puts match 17 “somewhere safe”

3 Likes

It might have been about 6-7 seasons back but I’m sure we’ve played on a Sunday before and even a Monday.

Might have been when they’d booked something in the Stadium Suite and it clashed with the first home game of the season?

I remember when I lived in London my mate was going to a January match at Welling United, so he rang the ground to check it was on before setting off. “Why wouldn’t it be?” asked the bloke who answered the phone. “Well, my front lawn has got frost” said my friend. “It’s a good job we are not playing on your effin front lawn then” said the man, putting the phone down.

2 Likes

Don’t know about you, but I’m finally going to get round to the Christmas shopping.

1 Like

I remember in the mid 80’s we were playing one of the Bristol clubs away. The Midlands had got a good footor two of snow on the ground and we were concerned about the game being called off. A quick telephone call to Roy Randall assured us there was no snow in Bristol and the game was on.

The coaches battled through the snow and by the time we got to the Gloucester area it was clear of snow. We were soon brought back down to Earth when the team coach was spotted heading back north on the M5. The game had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch :roll_eyes:

We pulled into the nearest services at around 2pm and someone says “I think Charlton at home, shall we go there and watch a game?” We would’ve needed the fastest coach in history :rofl:

2 Likes