W 4-0 vs Hartlepool United (H) - League Two - Sat 30th July, 3pm

I was just pleased that every time we went forward we looked dangerous and could score .
There was quite a few of us desperate for the club to sign an out and out goal scorer , and some wanted Miller as he’s been one of only a few we had as an option last season but I’m so glad we managed to get DJ instead as I know watching him yesterday who the most lethal is in front of goal .

Hope he maintains this level and that we have something in writing to get him full time after January .

2 Likes

Think Hutchinson will be great for us, only worry is who replaces him if he loses form, or gets injured? Hopefully Flynn Clarke could, but Maher is still a bit young yo rely on yet. Also noticed he tired towards the end - could be fitness, could be stamina.

Earing would be a suitable replacement.

1 Like

Would like to see him there, but I don’t think Flynn sees him in that role.

If we are in the mix come January, I am confident that Flynn will be backed to get us over the line.

That will be the ultimate test on our new owners ambition …

1 Like

Just throwing this in there - been a bit late catching up, maybe this was mentioned already.

Last time a Walsall player scored a hat trick in their first proper game was Alan Buckley (I remember it well!) He turned out OK. :grin:

Good portents I hope.

5 Likes

Reflecting upon yesterday performance what a team flynns put together. 7 debutants and they gelled like theyve played together for half a season.
Flynns made aome clever signing,experienced players led by example,johnsons a goalscorer who strikes ball so well,hutchinsons the clas act and ran the game,defence is intimidating and old school tough tackers kins and cornley h7nted down the ball all game Evans distribution was excellent and seems a capable keeper,taylor allen was superb,white a different plager from last yearstrength on bench,earing looking fit despite lack of pre sason
What a great weekend

6 Likes

I can’t add anything different to what has been already posted - this was my first ever game as a season ticket holder, and what a way to start!!

“Transformation” isn’t too strong a word to describe this squad with what has been seen for the past few years. In any measure you care to take the improvement is so significant … Fitness, Attitude, Passing, Goal attempts, Teamwork. Even on the rare occasions we were pressed for possession (and previous sides would have just hoofed it) we played accurate triangles which led to opportunities for forward play.

Obviously Danny Johnson’s hat-trick takes the limelight, but so many players contributed - Isaac Hutchinson was a thorn in Hartlepool’s side the whole game, as was Andy Williams. Monthe’s positioning at the far post to win the header that gave Johnson the chance for his hat-trick. Taking everything into consideration I haven’t seen that kind of performance from a Walsall side since the days of Ray Graydon. When Johnson scored his 2nd goal with a cracking volley from the edge of the area it honestly put me in mind of Tony Richards, and his positioning to meet Monthe’s header was also in the Richards mould. The striker has to be in the right place, and Johnson was.

Other observations … I was pleasantly surprised at the state of the gents’ urinal, it was clean and efficient. On the catering side I only ventured as far as the caravan parked under the stand, but the chips were hot and the cheeseburger very acceptable. I didn’t have any booze as I was driving (thank you GWR for being on strike).

I don’t think Hartlepool were quite the dross that some people have said - they were certainly a physical side, and Peter Clarke needed all his self-control not to retaliate after being wrestled to the ground by their lump of a centre-forward. The referee (Lee Swabey) did let the game flow, letting several infringements pass unpunished, and the fact that Pools received 2 yellow cards against our none tells its own story.

With this attitude and team spirit I look forward to a good run in the F.A. Cup, which would benefit the club financially if nothing else…

UTS

25 Likes

Great Summary :+1:t2:

A new signing? the number 10 has been left vacant.

Just back from the YNOT festival, just managed to find the 1sq metre that you could get a signal and saw 4-0 and was very disappointed to have missed the game, thankfully the Courteeners were brilliant and even the rain couldn’t wipe the smile from my face!

1 Like

Anyone see MF’s daughters attempted knee slide as they were coming off the pitch. He just shook his head as she crumpled up, so funny. Sign her up.

2 Likes

There was one moment where for a split second Clarke was done for pace, but how he put his body and with his position sense he soon gained back that lost yard.

2 Likes

Yep he marked their pacy striker out of the game, he’s a real clever player. Monthe especially will become a much better player along side him.

1 Like

Still recovering from Saturday but it don’t half feel easier coming into work on a Monday morning on the back of a day and performance like that. Not going to let myself get too carried away but if we play like that every week, wherever we finish come the end of the season, we’ll look back and say we have a team that we’re proud of. Gutted I can’t get to Newport on Saturday but we’ll be well backed as always and hopefully the lads can replicate that performance.

1 Like

The bit he was done for pace was when he slid in near the touchline and missed the tackle. The player skipped away from him, and he put the tackle in because he knew he wasn’t catching him.

It’s gonna happen, but if the pay off is that added know how at the back and organisation I’m fine with that. He was superb Saturday. Every player at this level has a weakness, it’s how good their key skills are.

Michael Flynn’s post-match comments are worth repeating…

“I told you my team are going to be fit, I told you we are going to press teams, I told you we are going to make it difficult for teams. There’s a mentality shift around this club - even at 4-0 we were still 1-0 down. That’s the attitude I want from these players and my staff so it was really pleasing.”

“Yes, we are going to lose games, yes, we are going to get outplayed, yes there are going to be teams who come up and make it difficult for us, but you will still see those fundamental philosophies of how I want us to play and the boys have taken it on board to a tee today to be honest.”

Thank you MF

22 Likes

Really that’s all we ever ask of a Walsall side - to play like it really matters to them. To us supporters, those players are living out our childhood dreams - I know it’s only a job for them, but we want them to play like we think we’d play - with maximum effort, commitment and passion. Play like that, and we’re happy!

4 Likes

Hutchinson epitomised this a few times when he was in good positions and players didn’t pass or took on the shot themselves and he wasn’t best pleased.

It was refreshing to see how we didn’t settle, even at 3 and 4 nil.

5 Likes