W 4-0 vs Hartlepool United (H) - League Two - Sat 30th July, 3pm

From the highlights looks like passing is crisper. Last season it had all the accuracy of a post-coital piss.

6 Likes

I was thinking of in the 1st half, ball played to striker who was out wide and for one split 2nd Clarke was in trouble but instead of allowing him onto his right foot, he showed him the inside and then subsequently won the tackle.

Sure, thatā€™s him using his experience though, wouldnā€™t say that was being ā€œdone for paceā€, just proper defending. He was done for pace in the second half though, pretty conclusively, having to slide in unsuccessfully, thankfully they cocked it up.

Johnson and Monthe made L2 Team of the Week, with MF as manager.

Alice Kinsella also won a Commonwealth gold over the weekend, and Saddlers fan Becky Hill sang live before the start of the Lionesses Euro final victory. A good news day for the Walsall section of the E&S this morning.

9 Likes

Swindon will be the litmus test for the new Walsall after they outplayed us twice last season.

2 Likes

I read that Allen had a really good game as left wing back. I seem to recall some were underwhelmed by his signing. It is early days but perhaps Flynn has unearthed a real gem who will provide Gordon , when fit, with some good competition.

20/1 at Paddy Power

1 Like

Just got our tickets. A fiver for me and a tenner for the missus. Bargain :smiley:

He had far too much pace and power for them all game. I do think that either Flynn had done his homework on them or they had failed to do their homework on us though (or both!). He was allowed the freedom of the left hand side and the opportunity to run forward and at defenders. Better teams and managers will close that down. The very encourgaing thing about this team is that we have other options. If the flanks are closed down, we have a creative playmaker through the middle in Hutchinson, and we have two strikers who know what they are doing and how to do it.

One other point Iā€™ll make in reply to what some have said - Kinsella did grow into the game in terms of using the ball when in possession, but heā€™s still the weak link in that respect (in my opinion). However, the beauty of it is that it doesnā€™t matter now, because Flynn has been clever enough to surround him with players who can do all of the clever in-possession work. Kinsellaā€™s job is to roam around when not in possession and snap at the ankles of the opposition. He did it superbly and it was this pressing, as much as anything, which gave us the opportunity to play our game, not get dragged into theirs. Itā€™s very clever work by Flynn and the coaching team - play to a playerā€™s strengths and not his weaknesses.

7 Likes

Absolutely agree.

As I said earlier on, what is extremely refreshing is that we have Earing, Riley, F Clarke and Maher who can come in for Kinsella if we are, say, chasing a goal, or if we want to keep the ball a bit more towards the end of a game. The competition is fierce. We will also have Labadie who I hope comes back the player we thought he was when Flynn gets into him.

I canā€™t remember the last time we had strength in depth like that.

3 Likes

Thanks for that reply. I really missed being there and am looking forward to the Swindon game so I can see for myself.
I might even consider some away games if we continue to play well. Something I havenā€™t done for a few years.

1 Like

I donā€™t think labadie could replace anyone on saturdays performance.

2 Likes

He can after 70 minutes as a substitute :wink:

1 Like

Which was my point!

Or if we get the Labadie back that we thought we signed - weā€™ve literally got the best man in the league who could do that - as manager.

Doesnā€™t get on the bench in my opinion. Busted flush with a terrible disciplinary record. And injury prone. Picked up 3 last season alone.

Does that mean you are officially a codger (and a cradle snatcher to boot)? :grin:

Noticed on LinkedIn that Labadie has started a role as a Protection Advisor at Truelife Mortgages. Makes you wonder if heā€™ll see the season out as a player.

I wonder if heā€™s had any bookings yet? :laughing:

5 Likes

Guilty on both counts :smiley:

1 Like

He has the Company JCL Capital Limited and has traded since September 2018 and done nothing spectacular with it since

It has net assets of ca Ā£5K

1 Like