What constitutes a 'good' season?

On the eve of the new season with excitement at fever pitch and by all accounts what appears to have been a very productive summer transfer window to date what do we feel this season would denote ‘success’ or a decent season?

I think whilst we have done some good strengthening it is notable just how much money appears to have been thrown around by League 2 clubs and many of our rivals have strengthened also and financially at least strengthened more so than ourselves. Given we have finished in the lower half for 3 consecutive seasons and we have a bright, young manager but still a rookie manager cutting his teeth at this role I think there are arguments why we could do very well but those with glasses half emnpty can put up a legitimate argument as to why we may struggle again.

Personally I think the aim should be top 10 and a top half finish and getting within single figures of a play-off spot would represent good progress, given we’ve made some good young signings who should form the nucleus of the side for a few years to come, so long as not too much of the heavy loading is done by players unlikely to be here next season (if Draper were to bang in 25 goals for example or Hussey at 34 is our POTS), so we have a really good base to mount an assault on the top 3 or minimum top 7 next season.

Play offs.

6 Likes

Run away leaders otherwise it’s a failure. 10 points clear come the end

1 Like

Playoffs would certainly be an excellent achievement especially when you look at it being Sadlers first year as main man and that’s without mentioning the amount of money being thrown at it by other clubs.Tough season ahead me thinks so I’d say with all the factors top 8-10 would be very decent indeed.

1 Like

Top 10, decent cup run and a January where we don’t capitulate again.

3 Likes

Top 10 aonsistent team and sttyle of football.
A team that entertains,gives 100 % and scores gials and connects with fans

2 Likes

Agree with most top half finish definitely top ten would be a good season

Pushing for play offs and a successful january window to push on even more.

1 Like

To at least be in contention for play offs for majority of season and keep it interesting. Flirting around mid table and eventually finishing top ten not good enough.

1 Like

Top half of the table, tying our better players down to longer contracts allowing us to build.

An amazing season would be play-offs and as someone else has said, a January where we do not capitulate. A cup run would be nice as well.

Although the league on paper looks tough this year, play offs has to be the aim. While I’d recognize the progression of a top half finish, I wouldn’t be entirely satisfied and class it as a ‘good season’.

2 Likes

Three questions are posed in the thread title and the body of the opening post. What constitutes a “good” season? What would denote “success”? What would denote a “decent” season?

I would consider that a “decent” season would have us playing attractive football that didn’t necessarily achieve much improvement results-wise, but at least leaving us no worse off in terms of the points accumulated in each of the last three seasons. Fundamentally providing obvious hope and evidence that the foundations had been laid for further progress and “success” the following season.

A “good” season would have us playing attractive football allied to improved results taking us to, or close to, an average of 1.50 points per game.

“Success” would be something more tangible and that probably means at least a play-off place.

On a wider point, notwithstanding the above, the aim always has to be to finish top, irrespective of likelihood.

1 Like

Play offs

1 Like

Top 10.

1 Like

Points, I usually find.

As with every season fans of most clubs will be hopeful of an improvement over the previous season.
We enter this new season with a rookie manager and a lot of new players alongside those we’ve retained.
The pre season was as good as could reasonably be expected which although the real test will begin on Saturday it gives us hope…
The likes of Stockport, Salford, Wrexham, Notts County are going to be tough games but I’m of the opinion it’s 11 v 11 regardless of money. The forward line has been improved as have the other areas of the team in my opinion so we can more than hold our own.
Where we finish is anyone’s guess but the squad looks capable of a top ten finish in my view.
Therefore a successful season will be finishing in the top ten.

Promotion!

3 Likes

Be gutted if we’re not up by Halloween

1 Like

promotion

2 Likes

Ill take not being woeful after the annual January decimation at this point. :neutral_face:

For me a “good” season ends up with us in the play offs, and if it ends with us in the top half would be “decent”

2 Likes