What constitutes a 'good' season?

The question was what would constitute a good season. Any promotion season is better than just good.

He’s gonna need Garry Waddock especially this season he’s got a lot of experience which will be vital to Mat hope he’s built a good relationship with him and can take his advice .that’s a big plus for me having Waddock along side him .gonna be a big learning curve this season for him no matter how many badges he’s got .

There were many questions and statements within the post.

I guess you are right, only by our incredibly low standards though.

People are talking as though getting promoted out of Division 4 is an impossible dream now. It’s not, smaller or similar size clubs to us have done it over recent years. Saying that we have to build for years to achieve it, that will never work. In 2 years’ time there will probably be 2 or 3 left from the squad starting this season if that.

I guess some kind of progress can be seen as a good season, but we are starting with a very low bar and should have been doing better than that anyway.

1 Like

Playoffs , anything else for a club our size is failure In my eyes.

5 Likes

You still seem to think that good is as high as expectations get. There’s better than good. Just because people say top 10 would be good doesn’t mean they’ve given up hope on promotion.

2 Likes

I agree that the aim of the club should be promotion, and I’m sure that it is. The aim should be to win most matches and maybe settle for a draw away from home against the best teams in the league. But that is not the same as what is considered to be a good season when the fat lady has sung.
Based on where we are as a club at this time, our recent standings, the resources that we have, and the strength of our rivals, then a season challenging around the play off places would surely represent a step in the right direction.

Sure. Getting to the end of the season without sacking a manager would be progress I guess.

2 Likes

If, in the second half of the season, I do more than 10 homes and six aways then it will have been a good season.

Last few years the second half of the season has turned into a cba fest because there’s generally been nothing to play for and the football has been cack.

5 Likes

Good Season = attractive football in the Walsall way

Great Season = Top three

This is the year to be a Saddler

2 Likes

All of the above, plus a good cup run…and some TV money.

1 Like

In contention with play offs

1 Like

With the guaranteed income from a base if 3000 season tickets, not pushing or achieving the playoffs would represent failure - as long as the manager is given the budget based on this.

3 Likes

Top 10.

Can’t see the squad getting near the play offs though e.g. still could be 8-10 points off 7th.

The top end is potentially very strong this year so I’m afraid club missed big chances last few years to get out of league 2 quickly with lacklustre transfer windows and will now have to build "incrementally. " Which could work. Or not. Or in a further three manager’s time…

You’ll have to explain that thought, isn’t it the law that we go downhill after January?
On a serious note, I have become an optimist rather than a realist this time round.
In my opinion, we have good options up front for the first time in many many years, remember the Buckley theory that attack is the best form of defence, don’t matter a jot if the opposition get 3 as long as we get 4!!!

1 Like

Promotion. If that won’t be possible, at least don’t wave white flag in January.

January transfer window always been a disaster for our club in the past it mostly meant selling our best players or losing our best loans back to there clubs .I’m trying to think when we last signed a decent player in the window .often think when you’re in a good league position it’s the January window that sorts the clubs who have serious ambitions and those who don’t .I hope in future that’s going to change with our current new owners and we can look forward to January window as an opportunity to strengthen and not go the other way .

Top 10, at least top half. Anything else is a complete failure.

1 Like

Promotion by March, Champions by April, EFL Trophy, EFL Cup, and FA Cup winners.

Anything less than that and I’ll write the SLO a strongly worded letter!

1 Like

Subject of the SLO, was near him in the queue for the bogs, and the guys he was with were talking about Wrexham losing, saying “I’m sure those yanks will soon be off once they get bored” - made me chuckle.

1 Like

Avoiding relegation to non league with a formation without round pegs. Every decent team needs a strong engine room in the middle of the pitch. We have a powder puff leaky colander.

1 Like