Which Away Ground Have You Been To The Most

Peterborough was a stalwart in the 80’s, i remember going to one game there and the police were asking us to remove our laces from doc martins before we got into the ground, it was apparently to stop us running on the pitch after the game, and they said we could get them back outside the ground after the game, needless to say when i got to the box they had all gone :joy:.
Also remember going there with @Yorkred and a few other boys, and we decided to stop off at a village called uppingham on the way back for a few beers, we were all dressed in black donkey jackets with doc martin boots, we went into some posh hotel ordered beers and started eating all the free bar snacks, sitting with our feet on the chairs, you get the picture, instead of the manager throwing us out we were met by a local big wig, and he couldn’t be any nicer? gave us the key to the private snooker room and told us to enjoy ourselves? then we decided to go on a little pub crawl, and in every pub we went into we were met with awe and wonder, even when buying ciggs from the machine the barman asked for the packet so that he could open them for us? we thought we had hit the jackpot, until later in the night we were told that the local big wig had had some trouble with some guys from Corby, and they had threatened to send “THE CORBY BOYS DOWN” to sort him out, and he thought it was us, when he found out we were Walsall fans just on our way back from the game they practically ran us out of town :rofl::rofl::rofl:, as we drove home we all had to sing to @Yorkred
Queen tapes to keep him awake at the wheel :rofl:

6 Likes

They will do it at the Bank’s soon if this poor form continues,to stop people attempting to hang themselves…:laughing:

4 Likes

Interesting. I think if someone attended Walsall regularly for years, and not spent time away from the area/country as you did, a fan would have to be 70 or thereabouts to have seen more games at FP than at Bescot.

Yet so many of us “romanticize” about FP as some sort of shrine to the ancient gods

I enjoyed that story. I’m 26. Was genuinely nice to read that was.

1 Like

Cheers buddy i have loads more :grin::wink:

That is a brilliant story :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Trust me @DanG_WFC i could write a book on some of the things me and @Yorkred have done or seen, i don’t know if he would approve of it though :wink:

I’d definitely buy it :joy: I was talking to a fan in The Registry before the game last week and he was sharing a few of the older stories. Wish I’d have been around then, some of the stories were brilliant.

1 Like

It was all abouit fisticuffs mate, none of this knife crime :unamused: it was about who was the better fighter, not who could kill who,most of the youth of today are cowards that stand behind a blade :worried:, in the 80’s we stud by our fists and the worst you would get was either a broken jaw or a black eye, your mother would end up picking you up from the manor in a car, not a hearse :worried:

5 Likes

had an argument on walsall fans have your say about this a few weeks ago with some jumped up little muppet who apparently runs our syc firm whoever they are lol said i know nothing and have done nothing but i was around in the 80s and 90s when this little prat was still swimming in his dads knackers told him to ■■■■ off and get a grip its nothing like it was back then.

2 Likes

Trust me they have no idea :wink:

2 Likes

I know mate we used to have blokes who’d take 4 or 5 out on there own without using weapons without naming names lol :joy:.

2 Likes

Mine is easily Rochdale, felt like we played them about 3 times a season there in the Deano era when I went to pretty much every game. Funnily enough the only game at Spotland I think I missed in that era was the one with the famous Andy Butler equaliser one, and as he is my favourite Walsall player that really annoys me lol.

Other than that the usual local clubs like Vile, Cov, Sheep Shaggers etc. Also weirdly been to Southend and Gillingham a bunch too. And about 5 years ago it felt like we had Preston away every couple months so went there a shitload too, but it had my favourite ever game that I have been to in that 2-0 away in the JPT so I have fond memories of that ground.

2 Likes

Were you on the Kop at B’rum in the 5th round in 1975 Chunk. I was only a nipper, but there was some scary stuff that day, two lots of fans going at it 'ommer and tongs. I think some younger fans would be amazed at what went on back in the day.
I’m not a fighter, never have been, but back in the 70s and 80s just walking to and from grounds you needed your wits about you and had to be a bit streetwise. Wasn’t really an era for the fainthearted. :grinning:

2 Likes

No mate i was still at school then, i think i was still attending games with my dad, and i was more scared of HIM than any other football supporter :joy:, i once saw him confront a black guy ouside our house in Clayhanger, he turned up at our door with a big knife and dad just waded into him without a care for his own safety :flushed: sent him packing and threw his knife over the fence :joy: didn’t realy see any fighting until i started going with my mates around 77-78

77-78 was the year of Arsenal in the 5th round, another interesting terrace experience. No segregation on the Clock End back then. Or if there was it didn’t work.
I think there were a lot of grounds in the mid 70s that didn’t have segregation. Fellows Park might have been one of the earlier ones to get it. I always knew we were trailblazers. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yep that was one of my baptism of fires, i actually stood under the clock dressed as a punk :joy: the guy’s i travelled with on the minibus from work refused to walk to the ground with me :joy:, i was kicked about every 10 minutes every time an Arsenal fan walked past me as i was at the very back :rofl:

2 Likes

And we call them the good old days :rofl:

1 Like

:joy: true but it was all about pitting your strengths against another hard man, nower days it’s about weapons which any prick can use :wink: