Who would you want to keep for next season?

​He’s been identified as the main source of problems for other teams, so usually has at least two markers. Still, I wouldn’t offer him a new deal. As a winger he looks too unconvincing. More like Dean Smith’s wide players, cut inside and overcrowd middle area.

Get rid then in my humble opinion

1 Like

Tin hat on… At 24 still youngish , Hopefully a new manager? And most importantly for Wes I think he needs a crowd to play for more than any other player. I would give him a deal until January in the hope that he knuckles down pre season and ups his performances and consistency because on his day he is a good player.

2 Likes

Would let Wes go.

To me he’s been playing like he expects to be released since January so mentally checked out.

Surprised he still seems happy to stay as his general performances certainly haven’t indicated that for last 4 months.

1 Like

We have seen 12 months or so ago that Wes is more than capable of doing a job but let’s be honest his performances this season have been shocking and there’s times where he’s lost the ball and couldn’t be bothered to track back, as far as I’m concerned anyone that downs tools and puts in them sort of performances shouldn’t be anywhere near the football club and that goes for the others too, lack of ability I can forgive we’re in the 4th division but lack of effort is unforgivable as a paying punter.
Get rid as these types of players cause bad blood around the club and not exactly a role model to up and coming lads in the development team.
Every team that gets promoted have 11 first teamers giving 110% week in week out, yes sometimes they’ll lose and have a game to forget but they put it right next time on pitch, we haven’t had this since the Smith years, we seen it briefly with Keates until he signed Russell Martin, we need a squad, manager, coaches, DOF, owner, etc all singing from the same hymn sheet and until this happens we won’t be going anywhere, Cheltenham are an example of what happens with a well drilled team who leave nothing on the pitch, can’t believe I’m writing that but sadly it shows how far we’ve slipped.

The thing with Wes is he always wants to cut inside, it’s so easy to defend against once the opposition have worked it out. He’s not great at crossing, but if he went on the outside now and then, got to the byline and drilled a few in it would make him far more of a threat.

It’s a shame cos it looked like there was a player in there, and when he signed his new contract I think most fans were happy. He just hasn’t done enough to earn a new one at this point though in my opinion.

Wes had 6 good games for the club and was offered a contract off the back of it!

Hes useless.

I can’t see a long line of opportunity for any of these released / our of contract players. After all they have just narrowly escaped relegation into non league.
Wes is a winger than cannot cross a ball.
He can however do stopovers. One trick pony I’m afraid- release

He appears to have lost interest months ago. If we offered him a new deal, however short, there’s every chance he will lose interest again.
Good professionals do not do this.
Get rid.

2 Likes

Absolutely correct. Keates’ team worked as a unit at the start of the season, but the signing of Martin disrupted everything. I hope that Keates learnt the lesson.

1 Like

Its a mystery to me why he wasn’t played on the right wing at any time.

Here’s a reminder of what Wes is capable of:

There is a talent in there and some good qualities to his game. Some trickery, always looking to move us forward, tends to tie up 2 oppo defenders, and is probably the only one in the team to provide a real gem of excitement in his attacking play. The problem is we don’t see it often enough. Is it an attitude of confidence issue?

2 Likes

He’s off anyway, been backing out of challenges since January.

He’s had a poor season but there’s certainly a good player in there, I’ve no doubt he will show us, when he is somewhere else.

3 Likes

I like Wes, think there’s talent in there, but just don’t think he’s got the brain to ever be consistent.

Always thought the right manager may get a regular tune out of him but am not so sure now.

Wes McDonald is a winger. Wingers are consistently inconsistent by nature: sometimes good, sometimes sheet, sometimes good, sometimes sheet.

Like Osadebe, there’s a player in there on his day, but to be fair he’s not really had much competition breathing down his neck for extra motivation. I’d keep him around if we can but bring in someone else to see if we can’t get a tune out of him!

1 Like

I don’t care if he tracks back, or not. He is a winger, not a defensive midfielder. If tactical orders were to stay up front and don’t waste yourself tracking back, so be it. Main problem for me is his age. 24 years old is the borderline age for a player. No longer a hot prospect, but actual class is important. Or the end product. And it doesn’t look too rosy for him. Two goals, three assists this season. Just as he wanted to leave last January. Maybe he needs to kick up his back. Or maybe not and that’s his actual level of abilities.

1 Like

Do we know for definite that James Clarke is out of contract? Perhaps he was given 3 year contract to entice him to sign.

Sorry to say we need a couple of creative attacking midfielders, sorry still feel kinsella bates Perry cannot provide chances for any forwards. So can only see another boring season coming up.

I sat by James Clarke’s Dad at Northampton last season and we had a good chat. He said it was a two year deal.

2 Likes

I’ve mentioned before that we will be shocked at the number of non achievers (during this appalling season) that we still be retained.
We have heard via the E & S various players talking about their future with us ‘next’ season.
We will find they will off load some underachieving youngsters, probably Sincs (who will be off to Burslem anyway), we will lose Holden to higher bidders with a better salary, and possibly Wes.
The shocking front men Lavery & Gordon will be retained, as will Scarr, so very little wriggle room to bring in proper strikers.
So we will end up with Dutton in charge of last seasons useless mob, really trying harder this time to confirm relegation at a second attempt.
Not confident of any influence from Fullarton, other than an extra salary.