Will we stay up?

Would rather we just drop like a stone than show signs of a revival and fall short.

I can deal with being relegated, but not by Shrewsbury.

4 Likes

Accrington - D
Southend - W
Wycombe - L
Peterborough - L
Shrewsbury - D

5 points from 5 games. Think this proves me thinking we’ll stay up is definitely my heart ruling my head.

Teams are really fighting now and I’m not sure we can match it.

2 Likes

The only shred of hope I can find is that I don’t think 50 will be the bench mark this season. There are too many teams in and around the relegation zone on a similar number of points all still playing each other.

2 Likes

OH GOD THIS.

1 Like

There is every chance they could be pulled back into this.
Their run isn’t a formality by any means.
We need to go ino this game with a chance to make it.

I think OConnor shows a good level of footballing knowledge. I don’t think you can judge him by recent games as that was Keates team and tactics. It looked as if he was listened to initially with the 4-3-3 we started with at Bradford and when it worked we stuck with it. As soon as it bore a few losses Keates abandoned it which epitomised his reign. I think O’Connors plan may have unfortunately saved Keates for a month or so before he reverted to type and was sacked. I have full faith in O’Connor to put into place his plan and the players are good enough to pull us out of this. We certainly should have a better first 11 on paper than Wycombe and Accrington.

1 Like

While I hope you are correct there is no basis to believe that 4-3-3 was O’Connor’s plan.

Keates used 4-3-3 in the FA Cup against Sunderland to very good effect home and away and I think he used it against the stronger teams in the division (as he did against Barnsley). But to be fair there aren’t many formations he hasn’t tried this season.

1 Like

Yes you are right Keates has tried it before, but I don’t think it was as effective.

The main indications for me though were the defensive set up, the distances between the defenders was bigger meaning the covered more of the pitch and meant the long diagonals were cut out instead of finding wingers in acres of space.

And getting more bodies into the box from crosses in the form of the opposite winger and a central midfield runner.

Both small tweaks but I don’t think Keates saw them.

1 Like

Hopefully it was and we see more of it in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

We have the ability to get the results we need. Its not as though we are at the top end where our rivals are winning every week. Im backing MOC to keep us up. Put a shift in tomorrown stay calm, and we can leave Accrington out of the drop zone. Quite capable.

1 Like

Accrington’s Sunday morning Parks pitch will be our Waterloo.
Lose this one and it will be mission impossible. Both Posh & Shrewsbury will beat us.
Earlier in the season I predicted we would get 47 points, I still think we will.
Hope we will escape, but think Saturdays humiliation and Keates demise virtually confirmed relegation…we need snookers!

There’s some 12:5 about for us to win. I’ll probably have a fifty on at that price .

In Spain so will be watching on ifollow and imbibing.

0-2 Cook and Gordon

Still glass half full :smile:

Arguably the best away performance of the season was at Posh when you take into account league position (they were about 4th back then).

Never mind the Leahy penalty miss (which looks very costly now) you also had Gordon missing a free header with five minutes left and even after the penalty Cook forced an amazing double save from the Posh keeper. It was a 1-1 battering.

I don’t see Peterborough as a certain defeat at all as they’re very hit and miss and might be out of top 6 contention by then so might play some fringe players.

It reminds me a bit of the Charlton home game right at end of 10/11. Charlton had just missed out on the play offs, mixed their 11 up and gave a typical on the beach performance and it was a comfortable 2-0 win that meant the team could afford to lose at Southampton and stay up.

I think with it being last home game and last chance saloon type the team can get 3 points from that. Take 4 points from the next 3 and that amusingly could actually be enough for this season.

7 points seems like a miracle return with so few games left but it’s what the team did v Bradford-Burton-Fleetwood and that also came out of nowhere when the team was in a mess so here’s hoping although I agree tomorrow feels huge as Accrington will really struggle if they lose.

1 Like

As I’ve said a number of times, I’ve reconciled myself with relegation since Wimbledon at Home. I saw no hope after that.

The final glimmer is a Martin O’Connor double bounce. We got the first after he joined us and got seven points from nine in his first three. Can the same person achieve the same thing twice?

I doubt it very much.

So in answer to the question. It’s still a no from me.

But will be at Accrington today very much hoping the team can surprise me.

1 Like

2-1 down v Oxford was the first time this season I thought we were down, though PT and many others have predicted relegation for some time. The stats, form, position and predicament are all against us but with the particular fixtures remaining I still hope we have enough to pull out of this - I just can’t work out of its logic or blind optimism!

2 Likes

Like I said. So much for those absolutely dire teams around us.

No. To definitively answer this thread.

No chance

No chance and no hope

Thanks Jeff for your guidance, vision and support since you took on the saviour role - you and your board are a disgrace

The team is a disgrace

Our ground is a disgrace

Reasons to be cheerful (not.)

Rant over and that’s me for the evening as I’ll just get more wound up

2 Likes

The board must know we are down. So what’s the plan for next season then boys? Let me guess. Plan A = take the rent money. Plan B = see Plan A. #bonserout #gambleout #moleout #everybodyout.

2 Likes