Worst Walsall player in the last 20 years

Guthrie was injury prone, but when on the pitch he wasn’t awful… I’ve seen an awful lot worse

Gary Birch shouldn’t be anywhere near this thread. He was a bit bulky yes, but remember him tearing Forest a new one without breaking a sweat one evening? I also remember a good performance and goal against Swindon the season after. Plenty of players haven’t even had one good game for us, so that puts him out straight away.

Michael N’goo on the other hand might as well not have been on the pitch for all he did in a Walsall shirt.

11 Likes

Don’t really think it’s fair to name anyone as it might offend so my I left out .

Can I delay my nominations until the end of August?

2 Likes

Tomlin

1 Like

Gary Liddle by a country mile.

Special mention to Richard Taundry for the worry performance I’ve ever seen by a professional footballer (Cov away).

The fact that they’re all from the last 4 years for me tells you how poorly this club has been run recently:

Williams
Gaffney
Liddell

Any order you like for who is the shittest. Some posters aren’t allowing for level.

1 Like

Recent memory bias is a big thing though.
We remember these players a lot more clearly . Doesn’t mean there worse than some players 10/20 years ago

Must have been watching a different player. Then again, remember saying week one he wasn’t good enough and you were upset about it so I guess that makes sense.

I’ve seen worse performances.

Jamie Lawrence spent one game (I think it may have been Bradford at home) Doing his best to avoid the ball at all costs.

Isaiah Osbourne also Coventry away (Different game) I don’t think he covered 50 yards, he had more of a heat spot than a heat map. Think he was subbed at half time. Both obviously better players than Taundry.

Oh and Colin Methven at Crewe in the playoffs :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

That does deserve a special mention.

Have you just started randomly defending these two despite them not being brought up now? :joy:

The fact Williams had 43 bites at the cherry instead of a handful and still couldn’t be good enough to not be completely shit and earn a contract in the national league is more of an indictment than it is a praise to be honest.

I guess it depends on what the criteria are and how we define “worst”. If it’s purely on ability, that’s one thing, if it’s on a comparison of expectation against reality, then that’s another.

But you’re 100% correct, to include either White or Osadebe is quite ridiculous. One was part of the most solid defence we’ve had for some seasons, and has been trusted to do a job by several successive managers now. The fact that he became the boo boy says much about those who boo. As for the other, picked up by Bradford, who are a much bigger club than us with, seemingly, a manager who knows a decent footballer when he sees one. For sure, if we’d had him last season, he would have made a positive difference on many occasions.

If we’re looking on ability, there are some valid names mentioned on this thread. If we’re looking at expectation against reality, it’s hard to look past Labadie.

4 Likes

Bless. There are far worse strikers That’s absolutely fact.

Bless, I didn’t say there weren’t. I’m talking about how they performed in a Walsall shirt.

The only thing he excelled in was looking exasperated after being too slow to get on the end of yet another pass.

This is a good point. Makris was mentioned above but he did score one goal and other forwards haven’t. I’m by no means saying he wasn’t one of the worst, but that has to put him above the rest on contribution alone, even if just an inch.

However, he apparently cost £200,000 (ish) whereas N’goo didn’t, so if you’re going to throw ‘value for money’ into the equation, he goes back down.

Worst and best players are all opinion based. The worst players i saw pull on the shirt were
Andy Peterson
Samassi abou
David Ngoo
Mads Timm ( for the simple fact he was supposed to be a golden boy who had the world at his feet and offered nothing such a dissapoinment)

2 Likes

Osei-yaw and it’s not even a debate

2 Likes

Kelvin Clarke and Dave Syrett. Was only a nipper when I saw them play but remember thinking blimey these are cack

I mean, the thread is literally about the worst players to wear the shirt. And as I said, there are far worse strikers than Andy Williams IN A WALSALL SHIRT.

Carlos Carneiro was worse. Fact. End of discussion.

2 Likes